KEY LIGHT

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
acespdz

KEY LIGHT

Post by acespdz »

Does Anyone know if there is supposed to be a light that goes on where the ignition is so that you can see where the key goes??
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

yes there is. it should glow green.
acespdz

Post by acespdz »

And how would I get this light to work cuz mine doesnt
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Pull the shrouds off the steering column - just a few philips head screws from underneath - and check the bulb.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
cb mx3

Post by cb mx3 »

Since were asking questions about it, is it the same type of bulb thats in the dome light. Are they interchangeable. I'm asking this b/c I have blue lights from the dome that I would love to put there or is it green plastic that makes it green?
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

green plastic
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
acespdz

Works

Post by acespdz »

Thanx alot I got the key light working, i'm going to see if I can get a friend who works with plastic to make me a different colour for the cover that is there. the one that is there is green i'm going to see if He can make different colours of that same size and shape. :pimp:
Grants
BANNED Member

Re: Works

Post by Grants »

acespdz wrote:Thanx alot I got the key light working, i'm going to see if I can get a friend who works with plastic to make me a different colour for the cover that is there. the one that is there is green i'm going to see if He can make different colours of that same size and shape. :pimp:
Let us know how you go - I'm sure there'd be other people interested too.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
cb mx3

Post by cb mx3 »

Yeah, deffinately keep us posted. I was looking at that the other day wondering if there was anything I could do to change it myself.
acespdz

Post by acespdz »

Well Can't make the exact copy of the orignal piece but i'm thinking that if I use just a square shaped piece of plastic and use some sort of coloured tint it will work and we are also going to need stronger lights bulbs because the one that is stock is very SH**y and won't shine bright enough to notice the colour difference. The lite I got from CT is still not strong enough. If someone can find a strong Bulb that would help.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

clear plastic and a permanent marker :D
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

maybe some clear blue hobby paint?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
666raCing

Post by 666raCing »

My key hole light turns on and off. It doesnt stutter or anything, but one random time i open the car door and it's on. Other time's it's not. It's more often not on than on.

What can i do? I know the bulb is good and that it works.

Thanks.
92 Mazda MX-3 GS
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

666raCing wrote:My key hole light turns on and off. It doesnt stutter or anything, but one random time i open the car door and it's on. Other time's it's not. It's more often not on than on.
What can i do? I know the bulb is good and that it works.
Thanks.
IIRC, the key illumination is to be triggered on when opening the car door. I believe it also is on a timer that starts at that point. That timer is ballparked to give adequate time for a person to find the keyslot in the dark - 5 maybe 10 seconds at most. It will shut itself off when timed out and will trigger back on again when/if the door is openned again.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
666raCing

Post by 666raCing »

so does something have to be replaced? the iirc unit?
92 Mazda MX-3 GS

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”