What size are the speakers?

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
freakyalien

What size are the speakers?

Post by freakyalien »

I went to a few different stereo stores, and they all told me different sizes, concenering stock speaker sizes.

I bought my car used a few months ago, and I believe I have 4 1/4 with some adaptor. One of the stereo stores says I need 5 1/2 or something...What does a '94 really come stock with?
Vroooom
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

i believe they are 6 1/2's front and back...thats what i read at least...
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I have 6 1/2s all the way around.
neutral
Supporting Member

Re: What size are the speakers?

Post by neutral »

freakyalien wrote:I went to a few different stereo stores, and they all told me different sizes, concenering stock speaker sizes...

...What does a '94 really come stock with?
Your stock speaker diameter is 5.25" for all four spkrs meaning, the woofer cone is literally that diameter. Stock speakers have 3 mounting holes outside the woofer cone - spaced equally around/on the spkr basket ears. You can either replace stocks with 5.25" or 6.5" specified sizes as they'll both fit the cutouts. Either way, you'll probably have to drill new holes 'cause most aftermarket speakers are made with 4 equally spaced mounting holes instead of 3. The 6.5's will fit fine and have capability to produce better sound than 5.25" spkrs depending on brand and specs. Just pay attention to the spkr mounting depth requirements. You can measure it but something around 2 1/8" depth is your max limit before you'd have to add a trim ring to offset deeper door speakers for window clearance. Don't want yer front windows to whack the speaker basket when goin down.
Image -Jim
MX-SLICK

Post by MX-SLICK »

This should be sticky once and for all, lol.

The front speakers in my car are Alpine 6 1/2". Yes, the size is correct, but almost any aftermarket speaker is too deep and will likely hit the window when its rolled down. This was the case with my 6 1/2" Alpine type S speakers. I used the riser/adapter plate that alpine included with these speakers. This not only rises the speaker out enough to keep from hitting the window, but it allowed me to use all the stock holes without drilling any new ones. If you dont buy alpine speakers, then you probably wont get the adapter plate. there are a few options here:

1. Make your own riser plate out of plexiglass, plywood, particle board or whatever material you think would be appropriate. Use the stock speaker as a template to drill holes in the wood.

2. Search online; There are many websites and audio stores that will sell you an adapter plate that fits into the factory 6.5" opening, and allows you to properly screw the speaker in while rising the speaker out so it doesn't hit the window.

This is one example:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-12kULEmr5m ... =120827500

3. You could search and find some speakers that are shallow mounting. Remember, my alpine 6 1/2" speakers have a mounting depth of exactly 2"...and without the riser/adapter plate the speakers still managed to bearly touch the window (the window peeled off the sticker on the back of the magnet) So you are looking for a mounting depth of less than 2" if you choose not to use an adapter plate.

Also: If you choose to not use some sort of an adapter plate, the 6 1/2" speakers will fit size wise, but the screw holes will not line up. In this case you either want to drill new holes or you could use self drilling screws. Not all speakers fit perfectly this way due to the unique shape of the mounting location for the front speakers. This is why I highly reccomend using an adapter plate.

As for the rear speakers, yes 6 1/2" fit there aswell. In this case there is nothing moving for the speaker to hit so its a matter of drilling new holes and making it fit right. It was pretty easy for me. Adapter plates are not nessecary for the rear speakers.
94' MX3 GS atx
93 geo storm GSi
99' Ford ZX2 mtx
2001 honda CBR 600
2000 kawasaki kx 500 MX
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

I had alot of 6.5in brand name speakers in my Mx over the years. Most of them fit. For my preference, I now use 5.25in speakers all around. I fine them more reliable, when at high levels. I used the speaker plates they sell of ebay.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
acespdz

Post by acespdz »

Rockford Makes a 6.5" speakers with a cone depth of 1.65" so it fits nicely
Danny

Post by Danny »

Pioneer speakers are custom fit for Mazda. They have both 3-hole patterns and 4-hole. Don't know about the depth though.
Lookwuticando

Post by Lookwuticando »

Mine are pioneer and no problems with depth
92 MX-3 RS
302sport

Post by 302sport »

well m using kenwood in ma car nd dey rock..
http://www.CarAmpsonline.com - your one stop shop!

Visit us for cheap car stereo deals

http://www.carampsonline.com
curt

Post by curt »

1994 Mazda MX3 - 6 1/2" all around, I just bought a stereo ;)
-Curt
JET30X

Post by JET30X »

is 6.5" the same size in the 1996 model?

ive already got my headdeck and sub, looking at buyin the speakers for the front, a amp and ill be set!
not going to worry about the rear speakers ull just unplug em lol sub will be enough for the bak hopefully :shrug:
MoMx-3
antispam: No

Post by MoMx-3 »

mine are 6.5
Stock 93 GS let the upgrading begin
cWs306
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by cWs306 »

i got a 94 gs and its 6 1/2's all around.. running 4 6 1/2 blue cone alpines now..(Also two 4" Alpine type S speakers in center counsel under the steering wheel/glove box) no depth problems and they sound awesome.. alpine's the only way to go..
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re:

Post by MrMazda92 »

Danny wrote:Pioneer speakers are custom fit for Mazda. They have both 3-hole patterns and 4-hole. Don't know about the depth though.
I'm going to double check this, if it's accurate then excellent find!! I'll go Pioneer next year if this pans out.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”