KFZE

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
turbulence23

KFZE

Post by turbulence23 »

ok.

my k8 is dying on me, so i am need to get another enige asap..

i might be able to get a KFZE for a decent price.

only problem is, what else do i need??

i have searched, and found numerous answeres, but all are giving other advices...

do i need another ECU? what serienumber must that be?

do i need another maf/vaf sensor? if so, what partnumber

hope that anybody can help me...
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

kfze can be a fun engine but if you got means of getting a klze i would suggest that better. The kfze is WAY better than the k8 of course..more power..havent gotten on ade mx3 yet but i sure beat the hell out a stock probe gt manual.. i got cai and the kf ecu. You can use the stock k8 vaf and DONT use the curved neck...it chickes the engine and it runs rich. Use a de straight neck..bolts on, you need to get some longet hoses such as the brake booster(its really annorying) and you need a cai..because its harder to find the pluming for the straight neck de. overal its an extremelly EASY swap.. redlines at around 7.8 rpms. has power all the way tfrom around 2 - 7. I heard a de is better than this . If you get a kf make sure you get the ecu..theres no way in hell it will run right without it. Change your engine mounts while at it...took me 4 days of around 3 hrs each to do the swap..super simple... dont get the engine i want to be the only one who has it :P (in an mx3) overall i tought it was worth it.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

Kfze is a great motor for those looking for a conservative swap. AKA people who need to replace the k8 and are looking for slightly more power.

And as for the 2.5 KLde motor being faster, half of probetalk doesnt know crap when it comes to this motor. i personally have taken out a few probes and mx6's with my kf motor. Yes granted i have had more work done to my kf than most will ever do to there motor but its still a good platform.

Just some basic facts before you buy:

Yes you are going to need the ECU (i got one for sale PM me if your intrested)

The only REAL 170hp KFZE is from the Lantis type R It has a curve neck and square runners, it also has KL31 cams in it. Finding this motor is like finding a real GTR BPT motor Close to impossible.

You will more than likely get the one that has 160hp but is still a great motor.

DO NOT USE 2.5 SPARK PLUGS! You have to use the 1.8's you can use everything else from the 2.5 just dont use the plugs, Dave a former 323 owner with a kfze in it found out the hard way when his car one day completely lost spark and he pulled his plugs to see that they had been crushed meaning there to long.

Use your K8 Maf/vaf(can someone please tell me what this damn this is called i've herd it called both for the v6).

If it comes with the power steering pump Scrap it you cant use it.

Someone's gonna tell you to switch out your coolant pipe (pipe inbetween your heads that has a temp sensor on it) This is POINTLESS as it was not on the original motor and does not have any use, as the Kfze will not recognize it.

You dont have to hook up your EGR but you can if you wish, dont need to worry about it if you dont have emissions, if you do you'll only loose 2-3 ponies max if any.

The Exhaust manifolds will not work with the mx-3s stock exhaust you have to either A use the k8 manifolds or B get headers (my advice get headers).

Note that Jspec ECU's did not come with a CEL indicator so you will no longer have a CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, i know this as i tried to get one to pop up and it never did, you can still check for codes by jumping the pins though (go figure no check engine light signal but it will still work to pull codes).

I think that about covers it.

As hgallegos said this motor swap is cake, we did mine with putting the motor back togeather in less than 3 days.

Have any more question feel free to ask, ive ripped this motor apart and put it togeather, so i know a thing or 2 about the motor.

Oh and if i havent mentioned it, im sure barry (custommx3) will come in and fill in the blanks as he would be the next most knowledgable guy when it comes to the kf
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Mnemonic wrote:Use your K8 Maf/vaf(can someone please tell me what this damn this is called i've herd it called both for the v6).
MAF : Mass Air Flow, Used On OBDII Mx-3's
VAF: Volume Air Flow, Used on OBDI Mx-3's
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

you are my new hero :)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

Unless you're getting a super deal, my advice would be to go for a KL engine, either DE or ZE. Personally I regretted not spending the extra money initially. The KLDE was designed for US conditions, and has heaps more torque, unless you intend on revving your car Honda-style, the KL will be quicker
It would be nice to think the Lantis engine is more powerful, (mine is a Lantis :D ), i really don't think so, the differing HP figures are probably due to differing measuring techniques, PS vs HP
As I understand it, OBDII only came in North American (Europe too?) cars, so a KFZE should only come with a VAF....., but i could be wrong! :?
anyway, i've been advising against KFZE's for a couple of years now, no-one seems to be listening :roll: :cry:
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

Mnemonic wrote:And as for the 2.5 KLde motor being faster, half of probetalk doesnt know crap when it comes to this motor. i personally have taken out a few probes and mx6's with my kf motor. Yes granted i have had more work done to my kf than most will ever do to there motor but its still a good platform.
also in a lighter car than a Probe or MX-6
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

yeah Mnemonic knows his stuff right :D hey any mods that you can suggest . :) Even if the engine is 160 its still better than my old k8 and yeah I used it as just a simple upgrade , alternative to my k8 . I must say I like this thing. Doesnt run ouit of breath like the k8 used to.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

papa roached wrote:
Mnemonic wrote:And as for the 2.5 KLde motor being faster, half of probetalk doesnt know crap when it comes to this motor. i personally have taken out a few probes and mx6's with my kf motor. Yes granted i have had more work done to my kf than most will ever do to there motor but its still a good platform.
also in a lighter car than a Probe or MX-6
bah Technicalities

not my fault the opted for the fatter car :)

as for mods, basically just switch over to a 2.5 kl IM and use there TB as well, fidanza flywheel is nice, Headers Full exhaust forget the cat, mazdaspeed motor mounts are a nice touch to. Might try swapping the fuel rails with a 2.5 not actually sure if there is a difference in injector size. ]
2.5" CAI and um yea thats about it.

Oh and 1 special thing that the kf doesnt have that the kl31 kl36 ecus do have SPEED CUT OFF, well my ecu didnt not sure about the one barry had.

I got the kf up right 126 but didnt have enough clear road to keep going.

papa roached

Post by papa roached »

but the speed cut in the KL31/36 ECU is like either cut the pin on the ECU or the wire going to it and the US-Spec KL ECU does not have a speed cut, trust me, i know :twisted:
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

im having tunning problems..throttle body related..the idiot that sold me the straight neck had the tb all fidged..the flu was bent and bleh... i somehow made a gasket right now and works well but i dont know..i still may have some leaks elsewhere. When the car reaches around 6 k rpms you hear this ticking noise and it pulls hard..not sure if im running lean...
-hec

Reaver19

Post by Reaver19 »

Rather than create my own thread, I just figured I'd ask my question on this one, hope you don't mind. I'm getting a ford probe GT motor for my mx-3 (the KLDE engine) and I was wondering, if I just swapped my ECU, the one from the ford probe to my Mx-3, would I be ok? Just swapping the ECU? I know if I don't switch certain things I"d be robbing the engine of some power but for right now, I just want to swap the engine and do the bare bone minimum that I need to do for the swap, any and all help is greatly appreciated!
93' MX-3 - V6 (complete!) KLDE Engine, KL02 VAF, custom fog lights :)
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
Mnemonic wrote:Use your K8 Maf/vaf(can someone please tell me what this damn this is called i've herd it called both for the v6).
MAF : Mass Air Flow, Used On OBDII Mx-3's
VAF: Volume Air Flow, Used on OBDI Mx-3's
Actually, the MAF was used in late 93, which was pre-ODBII.
So actually the MAF was used in ODBI and ODBII mx-3's.

The KFZE came in several flavors too.

The KFZE is just a 2.0L KF in Japan. They also came with a straight neck manifold wth KF01 cams wich only produced 160 HP, as opposed to the lantis R with 170Hp and KL31 cams as described earlier in the thread.
(noone has confirmed this as noone has found a lantisR motor on the board.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Reaver19 wrote:Rather than create my own thread, I just figured I'd ask my question on this one, hope you don't mind. I'm getting a ford probe GT motor for my mx-3 (the KLDE engine) and I was wondering, if I just swapped my ECU, the one from the ford probe to my Mx-3, would I be ok? Just swapping the ECU? I know if I don't switch certain things I"d be robbing the engine of some power but for right now, I just want to swap the engine and do the bare bone minimum that I need to do for the swap, any and all help is greatly appreciated!
It's more important to swap the air flow meter is swapped than the computers. I'm actually liking the way my car is running with the K8 ECU and KL02 VAF BETTER than the way it runs with my KLDE ECU and KL02 VAF. I've got both computers in my car right now so I can AB. I'll probably go to the dyno next month so I can A/B test the two to see what the difference is.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: KFZE

Post by jschrauwen »

turbulence23 wrote:i might be able to get a KFZE for a decent price.
Where are you sourcing this KFZE from?
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”