How to make sideskirts

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
vozaday2000

How to make sideskirts

Post by vozaday2000 »

Is there any tricks to making sideskirts? I am thinking of attempting fiberglass sideskirts but i am wondering how to form it to the car. do i just lay a piece of plastic against the side of the car and they lay a strip of fiberglass to get the shape of the car and go from there? should i just freestyle it or use plastic pieces to make a molding, etc. I am basically looking for tips from the guru's of sideskirts and bodykits. I am really facinated with making stuff with fiberglass and think this would be a worthy challenge. How would i attach it to the car, would I make tabs to screw it in where the stock mudflaps were and screw it in the bottom of the frame (make the sideskirt go under the car a bit to acheive this). do i need to screw in the top part of the sideskirt or would this be sufficient, i am planning to fiberglass it to my car when it is made. Thanks

Ryan
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/730367 - UPDATED!!!!!!!

'94 MX-3 GS KLZE, KL01 Cams, Fidanza Flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, WeaponR Ram Air, 2 1/4 exhaust, Nichi Neptune Rims, Toyo Proxy 45 Rubber.

hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

You can make some ncie ones well copies..all you need is to wrap the originals with foilo or other material..then grease i think..and lay the fiberglas coating on it..first layer will be thjin..ad a bit of resin to make it thicker and keep adding layers until desided thickness is aquired. Ive made copies of wide body kits for cavaliers and came out great.. they came out so good that we ended up using the copies instead of originals.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

i was thinking of starting out from scratch. I don't have the money to buy my own right now, since i am going to school again and school doesn't pay to well, so i thought it would be fun to make some from scratch.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/730367 - UPDATED!!!!!!!

'94 MX-3 GS KLZE, KL01 Cams, Fidanza Flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, WeaponR Ram Air, 2 1/4 exhaust, Nichi Neptune Rims, Toyo Proxy 45 Rubber.

ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

I know nothing about this, but maybe cardboard would be an option, like that one guy was doing for a wide body kit?
No more MX-3.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

the best stuff to use is the pink or blue foam used in houses. you can get a sheet of it for like under 5 to 10 bucks at almost any hardwhare store. you can shape it with a sander and a knife.
eppyhonda

Post by eppyhonda »

it has to be cheaper to buy one than make some, they surely won't be identical???

Return to “Appearance”