oil on sparkplug

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
ariesdude

oil on sparkplug

Post by ariesdude »

Hi, I changed my sparkplugs today on my 94 4cyl 1.6L DOHC - i noticed that one of them was soaked in oil - literally dripping oil when i took it out - it is the one closest to the distributor side - the other 3 were completely covered with black stuff - but they were dry. As far as i know there is no majot oil leak and there is no visible exhaust smoke (no oil burning) - anyone know if it is normal to have a sparkplug covered in oil like that - if not what is wrong and what should i do to fix it. Thanks.
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

im thinking either your rings are leaking so that the oil is getting on the plugs or a possible head gasket leaking...
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

95 rs wrote:im thinking either your rings are leaking so that the oil is getting on the plugs or a possible head gasket leaking...
Are they easy to replace without having to take the engine out of the bay/do a engine rebuild?
azazel95

Post by azazel95 »

ariesdude wrote:
95 rs wrote:im thinking either your rings are leaking so that the oil is getting on the plugs or a possible head gasket leaking...
Are they easy to replace without having to take the engine out of the bay/do a engine rebuild?

If its the rings you will need to pull the pistons out...
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Is head gasket same as the valve cover gasket?
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

no the valve xover gasket is rubber and the head gasket is metal.
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
Domnknpimp

Post by Domnknpimp »

no a valve cover gasket goes under the valve cover... and the head gasket goes under the head :lol:
sk8erdude28

Post by sk8erdude28 »

Wow you guys are all f---ing douchebags.

The valve cover gasket is very easy to replace. ALl you do is remove the bolts that hold the valve cover on (where you put the spark plugs in) and then take off the old gasket and do the new one.

A head gasket is metal and site between the head and the block. This is a big job, since you have to remove the head, and then do the timing belt since it has to come off. You will have to get new head bolts (maybe more botls too, not sure) since you're advised not to use the same ones again. Then people say you should send your head out and get it machined while it's out, to make sure it's straight and seals properly. THen start reinstalling everything.
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Thanks for all the info guys - i am going to try replacing valve cover gasket first because i see some oil around that area
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

wtf...worst advice evAr!!1

Its your valve cover gasket. It is impossible that the head gasket or your rings are coating your plug in oil seeing how the rings are INSIDE THE ENGINE and the head gasket is past the tip of the plugs.

the valve cover gasket seals off the plugs as well as the outer rim of the valve cover.

When you put a new one one, use gasket maker on the outside of the gasket REGARDLESS! I stupidly replaced my V6 vcg w/out using gasket maker and it still leaked, probably b/c the valve cover warped over time or something. I had to remove my intake manifold & redo it. Luckily for you, its cake to replace on the 4 bangers, just a bunch of 10mm bolts
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

it could be the rings because the plug goes near tyhe cylinder to make spark to make power and the rings if they are worn would let oil get passed and get onto the spark plugs. The valve cover only protects the top of the plug from getting covered in oil since the plug screws into the head and the oil cant seep threw the threads.
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

Gro Harlem wrote:wtf...worst advice evAr!!1

Its your valve cover gasket. It is impossible that the head gasket or your rings are coating your plug in oil seeing how the rings are INSIDE THE ENGINE and the head gasket is past the tip of the plugs.

the valve cover gasket seals off the plugs as well as the outer rim of the valve cover.

When you put a new one one, use gasket maker on the outside of the gasket REGARDLESS! I stupidly replaced my V6 vcg w/out using gasket maker and it still leaked, probably b/c the valve cover warped over time or something. I had to remove my intake manifold & redo it. Luckily for you, its cake to replace on the 4 bangers, just a bunch of 10mm bolts
Gro, is that the name of the product? "gasket maker" ? and is it just found at any automotive hardwear store?
Brandon
1992 MX-3 GS-ZE
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

its in lil metal tubes...

RTV Silicone Gasket Maker

comes in blue, red, black. I use black high-temp stuff b/c red IMO is an ugly sight oozing out between all of your stuff.

I use blue for coolant sensors & thermostat.

I use orange copper when sealing exhaust components
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Mazda_Power

Post by Mazda_Power »

Yeah that would be the valve cover. Did you get it finished?
'92 Festiva L powered by a 1.8L SOHC Protege motor - For Sale
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Yes i did change my valve cover gasket and it seems to have somewhat solved the problem - i dont see as much oil as before - but there is still some oil - before there used to be a lot of oil even on the firing end of the sparkplug - now there is only a small amount of oil in the sparkplug threads. Another problem i ran into was the valve cover bolts - i borrowed a torque wrench and torqued the bolts to right torque - and still managed to break one of the bolts - i guess the torque rating doesn't really apply to the old bolts....

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”