3.00+ a gallon

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
CarMan1

3.00+ a gallon

Post by CarMan1 »

man, at this price driving a car with all kinds of performance upgrades is gunna kill money lol... thats insane..i feel for u guys with turbo'd cars, and the big v6 swaps atm....
Famine

Post by Famine »

UK prices for 95RON regular unleaded (equivalent to 91 Octane/PON in the US) is still sitting at more than $6 per US gallon.
momomx3v6

Post by momomx3v6 »

here in holland is it 6.80 a gallon!!
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

the prices went up to $4.80 CDN a gallon today thats for 87 octane here.

Which is suprising since Canada is an exporter of gas. We sell more then we use.
Famine

Post by Famine »

momomx3v6 wrote:here in holland is it 6.80 a gallon!!
US gallon or Imperial gallon? The Imperial gallon is larger.

To be pushing nearly $7 per US gallon it'd have to be 1.45 Euro per litre.

Now that WOULD be steep. Incidentally, I paid roughly that (99p/litre) for some 97RON for a long journey (don't care about the power - or lack of - just wanted the cleaning additives).
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Over here is about to hit 3 dollars...i just did a kfze swap...ouch ..thosehigh revs are hurting my pocket...but i cant stop driving my baby :(
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
jaydog5678

Re: 3.00+ a gallon

Post by jaydog5678 »

CarMan1 wrote:man, at this price driving a car with all kinds of performance upgrades is gunna kill money lol... thats insane..i feel for u guys with turbo'd cars, and the big v6 swaps atm....
Yup, 93 octane is just over $3.00 here in GA. I'm glad I have another car to drive that uses the cheaper 87 crap.

With that "biotch" Katrina hitting the Gulf Coast the other day, that caused a MAJOR shortege of gas here in the southeast. The oil rigs in the gulf stopped shipping out there oil so...every damn gas station is running out of gas today. :cry:
rlk05

3.19 for 87 here in sc

Post by rlk05 »

Well 87 octane here in myrtle beach was 3.19 at about 6pm. i havent checked it since. and id ont know bout running out of gas.
hubiev

Post by hubiev »

What a scam the oil companies are pulling. To jack the price over night by 25%. I have never complained about the cost of fuel before, even when I drove a mustang that was done up and got about 10 miles to the gallon, but the 25% jump in the price is just rude. I love the idea of supply and demand. just have to find a way to get on the other side......the supply side.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Gas is now 4.00 a gallon here in Metro Atl. Also about the price gauging. It is illegal here in the states to charge a higher price for any good or service due to a natural disaster. I want to see this blatant use of price guaging punished. But I doubt they will do anything about it... Why have laws and only inforce some of them???
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Man, they use every excuse in the boot this year to raise gas prices, you'd think it was their first hurricane or something

I'm just waiting for gas prices to go up because of mad cow disease.
Source: Toronto Star
Editorial: Gas price increase defies explanation

The light rain in Toronto yesterday morning was the last feeble breath of Hurricane Katrina, which earlier devastated the Gulf Coast of the United States, some 2,100 kilometres away. Yet gasoline prices in the Toronto area and throughout Canada spiked as much as 20 per cent yesterday morning from Wednesday night. At some downtown Toronto stations, regular gasoline was selling for $1.20 a litre.

Looking for a reason why this was happening, a member of the Star editorial board drove from station to station, asking operators why their prices were so high. The answer was always the same. As one station manager told the Star, the order to jack up prices came from the oil company.

We then went to several oil company websites, all of which explain how gasoline prices are set. They all start off with government taxes, which accounted for 39 per cent of the price of a litre of gas in 2004. But federal and provincial excise taxes have not increased in the last year and they have not changed in the last two days. While the GST component of a litre of gas may have increased a bit, it does not go up unless something else does.

What has risen is the price of crude oil, which has increased by about 8 per cent to nearly $70 a barrel since Hurricane Katrina hit.

Of course the gasoline in the underground tanks below every station came from crude oil that was purchased, refined and delivered long before the hurricane hit. But even ignoring that essential fact, an 8 per cent increase in the price of crude oil cannot explain a 20 per cent overnight increase in the price of gasoline.

Oil companies say crude oil costs account for 42 per cent of the price of a litre of gasoline, which implies the post-hurricane spike in crude prices should not have pushed gasoline prices up more than 3 per cent.

The remaining factors affecting gasoline prices are the costs of refining and marketing, which have not changed much in Canada in recent days.

For many Canadians, the only thing left in the list of factors underlying gas prices that could account for yesterday's huge 20 per cent jump is company profits or, as many suggest, price gouging.

Liberal MP Dan McTeague (Pickering-Scarborough East) says refiners in Canada have raised prices well above what he calls a "catastrophic level." He wants Prime Minister Paul Martin to impose a temporary freeze on gas prices because they aren't justified. And Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty says Ottawa should provide some form of temporary relief from the high gas prices, possibly by lowering federal taxes on gas sales.

At the very least, Martin should order oil company leaders to Ottawa to explain their pricing policies. And the CEOs should be fully aware that they are facing a public relations disaster unless they can explain why a small jump in crude prices results in a 20 per cent overnight jump in the prices at the pumps. Canadian motorists deserve an answer.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Famine

Post by Famine »

If anyone wants a laugh, this is how petrol prices work in the UK:

Assuming pump price is 93.9p/litre (a good average)

32.8p goes to the petrol companies, approximately 2.5p of which is "profit".
47.1p is the fixed tariff of duty on fuel.
This gives a 79.9p subtotal
The remaining 14.0p is - get this - VAT on the subtotal. "Value Added Tax", which is charged at a fixed 17.5% of the subtotal. The smarter ones amongst you - though apparently not amongst my countrymen - will notice that we are being charged tax on the 47.1p per litre tax we already pay.

If we were turkeys, we'd vote for Christmas.
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

i remember last time when gas went up hardcore, and nothing compared to now but, everyone was trying a dont buy gas day and pwn the gas companies but i'd like to blame every soccer mom who feels the need to drive a 20 ton suv or truck that gets 2mpg
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I would say stop using mobil and fina..only use the cheap gases for the moment :/ diamond shamrock and so on... o.0 I wonder if ebough people do it...if it would work.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

I saw a little gas station with a line down the street yesterday. It was ONLY $3.19 a gallon for 87 octane. Every other gas station for 10 miles was about $3.35 a gallon. I "lucked out" and found a palce with 87 octane for ONLY $2.99. I filled up the 626. I'm going to take my MX3 tomorrow and fill up on midgrade at $3.09. Hopefully I can get it to last the week.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”