the cheapest fuel system to achieve 10 psi on a turbo Kl !!

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
BATTOSAI

the cheapest fuel system to achieve 10 psi on a turbo Kl !!

Post by BATTOSAI »

When I decided to swap my K8 to a Kl, there were a few parts missing on my package: I didn't had the Kl Ecu ,the Kl Vaf and the Kl manifold. I assume that the K8 manifold on a Kl is a power robber, so it must be on a Turbo Kl!! I was able to run thecar right thanks to the Apex'i s/afc, althought there has been a lot of talk if it works or doesn't on a k powered mazda. I don't know if it's a particularity of the 92 K8 gs ecu, but I can tune the fuel curve at both low and high Rpm's perfectly. I can even stall my car with it! When I rode the n/a Kl powered mx3 at first, I found out that the car was super rich. I leaned it at a -20% setting on all the Rpm band and only used one thrttle map (you can build two maps depending on throttle %) and that way the car ran really smooth and pulled really hard. Once I installed the turbo system on the Kl base, I installed my 255 walbro in tank fuel pump, and the car felt really rich. Then I built a map where I leaned all the rpm range to the maximum I could, which was a 50%. Then the A/f gauge was able to do full sweeps to both rich and lean at idle, which tells that it's in a good ratio. I did that in order to found a good Fmu ratio before dealing with the S/afc, because I didn't want to fell really rich like I did on my K8t. I tested the 10:1 Fmu and it was very rich until 7-10 psi, where the ratio felt at lean very fast. So I turned down the boost to 5-7 psi and lowered the Fmu to a 8:1 ratio. That way the car reacted a bit faster and didn't feel so rich. then I played with the S/afc. I set the throttle points at 30% for low throttle and from that point to 100% high throttle. I started to up the fuel curve at 2.500 rpm's and ended with a 15%+ at anything past 5.000 rpm's. It wasreally rich,so I started to raise the boost. Last night I hit a perfect and constant 10 psi from third gear to fifth and the a/f ratio meter didn't fell below the middle of the rich section of the gauge. No pinging, no overheating, just one of the largest smiles I ever had on my face!!! I have never rode anything that fast!!
European Mx3 GsRT
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

Then imagine how it would be if you had used a Megasquirt :)
I`m pretty sure you could have tweaked out some extra hp that way, and also got rid of a lot of stuff. VAF/MAF etc.
s/afc is a "bad" way to tune the car. A real standalone would definetely be best.
And, it`s also cheap too, a lot cheaper than the S/AFC (or so I believe).

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
BATTOSAI

Post by BATTOSAI »

but for what I have read and heard , there is a lot of hassle to make it run right. I also loves the look and features of the S/afc, but for sure that I would decide to go to higher boost i will consideer installing one, because of the adjustable ignition timing capabilities and ability to handle significatively larger injectors,but for the 10 psi I set as boost mark is enough. Well, if the Ms is cheaper than the S/afc I will call the post " a different fuel system to achieve 10 psi on a Kl" :)
European Mx3 GsRT
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

you running 220cc on 10psi ?
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
BATTOSAI

Post by BATTOSAI »

it seems imposible but I do! As they are the only injectors I had I started to search for their limits step by step. I won't force them any higher. After that I have two ways to go, I have 6 nissan sr20det injectors and a 034 efi additional injector controller. I started to build a Kl manifold with the 6 additional bosch type injectors mounts last year, but it is a lot of work!!
European Mx3 GsRT
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

You mentioned you didn't have the KL IM. Did you get the injectors from the KL IM? If you are running the injectors from the K8 IM those are only 170cc. We figured that out when we did my swap and I was stuck with a K8 IM for a couple weeks.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

BATTOSAI wrote:it seems imposible but I do! As they are the only injectors I had I started to search for their limits step by step. I won't force them any higher. After that I have two ways to go, I have 6 nissan sr20det injectors and a 034 efi additional injector controller. I started to build a Kl manifold with the 6 additional bosch type injectors mounts last year, but it is a lot of work!!
I would change real soon injectors if I were you.
You should be near 100% duty cycle. You're not suppose to go higher than 80% DC or you injectors could crap on you. You don't want that to happened :!:
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
custom101

Post by custom101 »

I'd also consider getting a wideband to see exactly what your AFR's are. Don't put too much faith in those sweep gauges.
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

You also have to remember , that those gauges/your o2 are configured for NA, Not turbo. So the 2 bar green would be around say 13-1 afr Which Is lean under 10 lbs of boost.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
BATTOSAI

Post by BATTOSAI »

You mentioned you didn't have the KL IM. Did you get the injectors from the KL IM? If you are running the injectors from the K8 IM those are only 170cc. We figured that out when we did my swap and I was stuck with a K8 IM for a couple weeks.
I am using the Kl injectors right now. I had to check it twice because I was going to install the K8 ones!!

You should be near 100% duty cycle. You're not suppose to go higher than 80% DC or you injectors could crap on you
You are right. Is because of this that I have lowered the boost to 6-8 right now.
European Mx3 GsRT

Return to “Forced Induction”