Delayed Power from Engine?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Reaver19

Delayed Power from Engine?

Post by Reaver19 »

I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but let me start off by letting you know some information about my car to better help. It's a 93' Mazda Mx-3, V6, with a manual transmission. The clutch MAY be slipping, if it is, it's very little(and may be attributing to the problem, but isn't be the sole reason for it), but for now, try to assume that, that has nothing to do with what we're talking about here... When I shift it into first and stomp on the gas, the car doesn't rev up full, it goes up to almost 4500rpm for the first 2.5-3.5 seconds my foot is floored, and after 2.5-3.5 seconds, it shoots up to around 7000. The car should shoot up to 7000 within 1 second at most of when my foot is to the floor. The way it's acting right now cannot be normal, why do you guys think the car could have 'delayed power' I was sort of hoping for some ideas on what it is most likely, and it would also be great if you could give me an idea of what it would cost to replace the part, or if it's just an adjustment, that's fine too. I'm not expecting anyone to know exactly what it is for sure, but just some ideas on what it is most likely would be greatly appreciated, thanks again guys. Oh, and if this topic was previously done and I didn't manage to find it, my apologies again.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

There's a VRIS point around 4500RPM. Get used to it.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

is this happening when the car is in motion? if so yea defenetloy clutchy slipping.. vris does nopt hagve anything to do with HUGE power surges... i bet its your clutchll I coulf feel a nice surge at aroujnd 6 and tought it was the vris..it was just the clutch slipping... doh me.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

woah take a load of my typos :P
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

lol someone has been watching too much fast and the ricious. Old clutch might slip just a little but you have to realize that its v6, and more cylinders engine got slower it will be spinning up, unless you lighten crankshaft, custom pistons, balance, etc etc.
If you want you can have your plate shaved and put in UD pulley and itll spin up faster.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I can tell you from experience that it slips ugly..and no it feels you are going fast but you are not..its only the clutch engaging properly from time to time...kinda sucks for newbies asking asimple question and everyone giving them sarcasm..has any of you tought that maybe he doesnt have a clue what vris is? give the poor guy a break.
-hec

vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

when the clutch slips the rpm's go up right away its just the speed increases slowly. atleast that is what it did in my buddies car. when you have that power surge does it feel like your engine is bogging out? does it sound like some cylinders aren't firing? etc. basically how does it feel when it surges.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/730367 - UPDATED!!!!!!!

'94 MX-3 GS KLZE, KL01 Cams, Fidanza Flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, WeaponR Ram Air, 2 1/4 exhaust, Nichi Neptune Rims, Toyo Proxy 45 Rubber.

Reaver19

Post by Reaver19 »

Alright, I'll do my best to describe. I start out by putting it into First gear giving it very little gas, it's around 1500rpms at most, I stomp on the gas, for about 2 seconds it stays at 2000rpms and the car accelerates, but not nearly as fast as it accelerates later on. After the 2 seconds have passed, the car shoots up to around 6000rpm and it takes off and accelerates like crazy :P Vroom Vroom, etc etc =)
Reaver19

Post by Reaver19 »

vozaday2000 wrote:when the clutch slips the rpm's go up right away its just the speed increases slowly. atleast that is what it did in my buddies car. when you have that power surge does it feel like your engine is bogging out? does it sound like some cylinders aren't firing? etc. basically how does it feel when it surges.
Engine feels like it's bogging for the first 2 seconds, I doubt that there are some cylinders not firing because the car takes off like a rocket after the first few seconds, so the only way that would be true was if certain cylinders weren't firing for the first few seconds and then they were firing for the rest of the acceleration, not sure if that's possible or what would cause that. I'd also like to add that the clutch only has about 5" till it's touching the floor, so it's half done pretty much. The car isn't suddenly taking off in quick little inconsistent sperts of acceleration, like the clutch is finally catching or something like that though, so that's why I don't think it's the clutch slipping, although it might just be, just a very small amount, which could explain why there is no quick little sperts of acceleration. Do you think upgrading to some really nice spark plugs would help? If so, I'd really appreciate it you guys could recommend some really good spark plugs. Thanks again for the input, oh and I don't know what a Vris is.
vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

by it bogging out for the first few seconds it sounds like you car isn't running on all cylinders at first then it runs correctly. I had this exact problem and for me it turned out to be timing. but check the plugs and see if they are alright, then check the timing, if this doesn't solve your problem then get a pressure guage and check the pressure from the filter to the injectors. it might be a different problem altogether though. this is an assumption that as your car accelerates slowly at 2000rpm's the rpm's also slowly rise. but check the plugs first and see if the gaps are ok (they probably are since they work find after 2000rpms) and then i would get your car timed. just my 2cents. good luck
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/730367 - UPDATED!!!!!!!

'94 MX-3 GS KLZE, KL01 Cams, Fidanza Flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, WeaponR Ram Air, 2 1/4 exhaust, Nichi Neptune Rims, Toyo Proxy 45 Rubber.

Reaver19

Post by Reaver19 »

vozaday2000 wrote:by it bogging out for the first few seconds it sounds like you car isn't running on all cylinders at first then it runs correctly. I had this exact problem and for me it turned out to be timing. but check the plugs and see if they are alright, then check the timing, if this doesn't solve your problem then get a pressure guage and check the pressure from the filter to the injectors. it might be a different problem altogether though. this is an assumption that as your car accelerates slowly at 2000rpm's the rpm's also slowly rise. but check the plugs first and see if the gaps are ok (they probably are since they work find after 2000rpms) and then i would get your car timed. just my 2cents. good luck
Alright man will do, even though this might not fix the problem, I'm still interested in upgrading the spark plugs so... Any suggestions for top of the line spark plugs for a 93' MX-3 with a V6? :wink:
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

hmmm have you checked vacums? I also had that problem when i had vacum + timing belt stretched beyond ecu sompensation.
-hec

Reaver19

Post by Reaver19 »

hgallegos915 wrote:hmmm have you checked vacums? I also had that problem when i had vacum + timing belt stretched beyond ecu sompensation.
Will do, right now I'm writing down a list of everything to check/fix/replace and will do them one by one to try and figure out what it may be. Thanks man
93' MX-3 - V6 (complete!) KLDE Engine, KL02 VAF, custom fog lights :)
andy

Post by andy »

try going thru the TPS adjustment procedure. that adjustment can make a small difference in the way the car accellerates. Also set the base timing and idle adjustments. You could also have the beginings of a crack in the plastic ribbed intake just before the TB.

TPS= Throttle position sensor.

Andy P. 93 GS
Reaver19

Post by Reaver19 »

Just as an update....last night a guy was chasing me dangerously close (less than 5 feet from my bumper) he was in a truck and I swear he was trying to kill me or something, I never saw him before in my life but it was late at night and a girl was with me and she was like "let's see what this thing can do" and we were on a backroad going 80+mph on and I know the speed limit is 40 tops. I didn't know the road well so I was focusing on keeping the car on the road but didn't realize it at first that I had the car in 3rd gear and it was maxed out at 8 or 9 thousand rpm's. The check oil light came on and I left off the gas immediately. Everything seemed like it was alright, no noised were being made and I thought "phew" when I got back to the mall with her, the engine seemed to just give out and the power steering went off, like the car stalled and it did stall. I don't know what's wrong with the car, whether it's a headgasket or the clutch is almost gone completely (I can still shift and drive the car, it just wants to stall whenever I'm in 1st or 2nd gear and the car is around 1000rpms). The car makes a ticking noised that I think is coming from the engine itself or somewhere close to it. As I accelerate the car ticks more and faster (souinds like a 'jack-in-the-box' minus the goofy sounds in the background, just the cranking noise). Any ideas? I dont expect anyone to be able to tell me exactly what is wrong with my car but just a few ideas of what it might be would be really great. Sorry for the long post, had to explain. Thanks guys.
93' MX-3 - V6 (complete!) KLDE Engine, KL02 VAF, custom fog lights :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”