No more hard kick when accelerating...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
valdigre

No more hard kick when accelerating...

Post by valdigre »

All of you V6 owners probably love those magic moments, when u reach 4 k rpms and feel the "V-tec" like kick (not as strong as vtec but still nice).
Well I had this feeling when I had my standard exhaust with standard rear muffler on...

Those days are gone, from the moment I bought my Mazda beautiful rear muffler with chrome tips. My Mazda seems to accelerate better, but without the brutal kick it used to have. I have measured 8 seconds flat to 60 miles with my nothing but stock Mx-3 V6 (except the rear muffler).

I only get the brutal kick when I sometimes accelerate hard when the engine is cold, but the car is brutal when it's cold anyway...

Does any of you have the same observations as I have?
"For those 10 seconds or less, I am free"
verzutiko
Supporting Member

Post by verzutiko »

DO NOT accelerate hard when your engine is cold!!!

Hmm, I do have the brutal kick in 2 and 3 gear, but beyond that, nada...
'92 GS
My worklog
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

yes, even though I love sound of my N1 i noticed that engine doesnt sound like small block anymore, with stock muffler it used to sound like v8 under acceleration. And i dont feel Vris kicking as sharp as it used to with stock muffler. Even though car still tops out at 130mph.. I wonder if I lost that low end power with just a different muffler
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
valdigre

Post by valdigre »

I don't think we lost the low end power, if yes then not too much.
For the most time when I overtake cars, I usually do it on the fifth gear...no need to reduce to lower one's :twisted:

I do consider switching back to my old, stock muffler cause of the kick.
The only thing that keeps me with my current one is the looks, the car looks more sporty now.

This muffler is strange though, it is loud < 3000 rpm, but when it reaches 3000 it goes as silent as the stock one and from that moment I only hear the engine...Pretty nice effect. My V6 sounds best at 4000-5000 rpm :twisted:

Soon I have to rebuild the whole exhaust piping, and I am still wondering...the stock one...or the non stock one...
"For those 10 seconds or less, I am free"

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”