Rough idle + fuel pressure reg solenoid

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mdavis

Rough idle + fuel pressure reg solenoid

Post by mdavis »

I replaced my clutch a few days ago, but now that the car is back together it's idling weird. It has a rough pulsation to it at idle, and gets worse at 1,100-1,400. I've checked and double checked and a number of other things, until i plugged my old K8 ECU in for the flashing codes. Besides reading out the normal EGR codes, it reports code 25 - Fuel pressure regulator control solenoid. My fuel lines are not crimped, checked. My question is, where the hell is this thing located in the engine bay, and could it be causing this bumpy idle? Help would be very appreciated.

BTW. I can't tell if there is any power loss other than the rough idle - it doesn't much feel like that, but it's been raining here and I've got that new clutch so i've been taking it easy. Thanks again. Cheers.
GS-R SE
Fixin's
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

As you are looking at the engine the FPR solenoid is attached to a bracket that's attached to the left side of the air box. 2 vaccum lines running to it. One to the FPR itself and the other to the EGR solenoid units. There's a 2 wire connector for it also that sprouts from the large wire harness that runs in front or along side the battery. The FPR solenoid will have a little mitsubishi logo on the top of it I believe. It's purpose is to, amoung other things, is too richin the mixture on start-up after the engine has been or is warmed up and will do this I believe for 120 seconds, whereupon it is supposed to return down to normal idle. There is a check for this unit to verify it's serviceability in the on-line manual.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

I should have mentioned - like most ZE-ers I don't usually have my EGR equeip on - so the solenoid isn't even on my car now. No wonder the K801 was spitting code 25. The FPR is connected directly to the intake manifold.

I don't know that I was thinking earlier - the car sounds like s--- compared to normal at all rpm ranges (not as smooth) and doesn't have full power. The only slight possibility I can think of is that I minority dented my ignition coil (Thanks, Gro 8) ) when removing the tranny. It's really not a big dent at all (near the bottom). I just wasn't sure how those things were made and if denting it would cause that huge-a-- capacitor to malfunction.

I suppose it could be anything. Help still appreciated. :)
GS-R SE
Fixin's

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”