Replacing my balls, some Q's

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Rick Johnson

Replacing my balls, some Q's

Post by Rick Johnson »

I went to get an alignment, and the great people at mazda said my pass side lower ball joint needs to be replaced because it is too worn. They said they didn't have the part and it would take the weekend to get it and it would be $133 plus labour. I said don't bother I need my car and picked it up. they still charged me for labour the C**ksuckers $25, I had it out with the service adviser but he was a POS.

Anyways, I did a bit of searching here and at parts stores. I believe I have an early 92 so I think I need the smaller ones correct? also checking out parts stores, it looks like the protege did have a ball joint change in 93? and the mx-3's was halfways thru 92? So I should have the same ball joints as the early 323's and pro's

Canadian Tire's computer system ask for the vin, and if my vin is newer then theres I'm ok.

But my question is this, my vin is EC434 --- 130XXX and crappy tire's computer says somthing like EC3XX --- 2XXXXX

So is mine newer then that or not? I thought it went by the last 6 digits or is it the 434 / 3XX therefore mine is newer?

I am confused and do not want the wrong part, I was just thinking I'll buy 4 and return the 2 I don't use :?
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: Replacing my balls, some Q's

Post by jschrauwen »

Rick Johnson wrote:But my question is this, my vin is EC434 --- 130XXX and crappy tire's computer says somthing like EC3XX --- 2XXXXX
So is mine newer then that or not? I thought it went by the last 6 digits or is it the 434 / 3XX therefore mine is newer?
Safe to assume that a return trip to Mazda or a phone call on that is out of the question. Don't they have a couple of Mazda dealerships in Calgary?
Rick Johnson wrote:I was just thinking I'll buy 4 and return the 2 I don't use :?
That's a safe bet, save the second trip if wrong on the first go around. No re-stocking fee?
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I believe that the change was mid-93 for MX-3s. I have an August 93' car and it still used the smaller ball joints. I changed over to the larger ones with my rebuilt spindles, but I don't think there is a real reason to do so. Just that I had two newer spindles and of course they used the larger ball joints. You might also want to go ahead and order two new ball joint bolts. They have a cut-out section to hold the ball joint and mine were slightly worn so I replaced them to make sure that they didn't let the ball joint slip out. Make sure to grease the ball joint alittle so that if you ever have to take it out it is not stuck in there.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

With a title like that :shock: I'm surprised you haven't got a bigger response. :wink:
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Weird, I have an early-92, and I've replaced my passenger ball joint and CT did not ask for my VIN> Which ever one they game me worked no problem, I was not aware of a different ball joint until this thread...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

jschrauwen wrote:With a title like that :shock: I'm surprised you haven't got a bigger response. :wink:
haha, yeah, first thing that crossed my mind was 'how the hell is he changing his balls, and why?!?'

then I read the post :)

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

jschrauwen wrote:With a title like that :shock: I'm surprised you haven't got a bigger response. :wink:
I just wanted to get some quick responses :D , looked like it worked tho. Yea I think I'll just grab 4 while I'm there and I'm prolly going to look at a couple EGT ones while there if they have them in stock. Theres no restocking fee at CT and they are pretty good about returns, How long should it take? I think mazda was gonna charge me about an hour for one side? gawd I hope it's not siezed or something.

EDIT: I just picked em up I got 91 323/protege ball joints and I also got the mx-3 ones. The 323/protege ones are smaller and I'm guessing these are the right ones...
mx-3north

Post by mx-3north »

«««my mechanic just priced passenger side ball jooint for me this week
the economy one was $45 and the lifetime moog brand was $77 . ««he didnt ask me anything about vin number
92 mx-3 gs auto 1.8lt
nokian wr tires
Jettblackcat

Post by Jettblackcat »

did mine 2 weeks ago, and this listing for the ball joint was pretty much a slam dunk
92 MX-3 GS, RED, custom short ram intake, headers (not installed yet), HEI conversion, external coil, Need more $$ for a ZE (donations graciously accepted).
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

slab them fockers off neuterboi
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

lol dam thats alot.. I payed 50 dllrs for mine new....
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

I almost had to replace my balls last night when my gf found out I was tape recording us....

word of advice, cover the red LED with tape if you do that
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

LOL got the video? jk :P
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Gro Harlem wrote:I almost had to replace my balls last night when my gf found out I was tape recording us....

word of advice, cover the red LED with tape if you do that

pffft n00b! :D heres one, Mazstyle is my normal handle, it changed to my real name a while back on here, and yes its felt pen LoL

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”