85%
No
15%

Total votes: 26

Franko
Supporting Member

Do the police abuse their power?

Post by Franko »

Ive been reading up on how police abuse their power.. Its quite intresting how often it happens.. I myself have seen cops run red lights, make illegal turns and speed without their lights on. What do you guys think?

I suggest checking out this site http://www.policeabuse.org/
and this site.. http://flyservers.registerfly.com/membe ... crime.com/
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

That is a huge problem were I live and the sad part is there are only 50k people were I am but yes our cops are cooked pieces of shite. They constantly arrest kids just cause they are kids or give tickets for little things like a california stop at 2 in the morning at a four way stop with noone esle there. well I better stop before my blood pressure gets up and I have a freakin heart attack. I just wish they would focus on our meth problem and not harassing kids who are just hanging out in parking lots talking about cars. stupid Bastards.

Steve owner and founder of FTP Racing
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
beacbum

Post by beacbum »

It definetly happens around here. I work with the Police pretty much everyday in the job I'm at, and I see them abuse privaleges all the time! From small things like running lights and speeding, to getting free food and gifts from local stores and restaurants. One thing I noticed is that they pull out their guns alot more than I thought. I was always told that they had to write up a report every time it came out of the holster, but I really dont think they do.
I know that it seems like people get hasselled and ticketed for stupid little things, but you also have to think about how many things get missed, and how many times they let people go and just give out warnings. But I do agree that they should stop targeting kids for just hanging out and start paying more attention to the kids that are causing s--- on a repeated basis, and punish them accordingly, or else these kids will never learn a lesson.
The funniest thing just popped into my head talking about this.... Super Troopers. "Im Freakin out man!" "Yes, you are freakin out....Man"
That is a great movie!
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

who owns the water? noone owns the water It's gods water lol
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

i dont know how many times ive seen cops using their sirens to run lights or get through busy spots, then turn off the siren and drive normally again.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

fry_81 wrote:i dont know how many times ive seen cops using their sirens to run lights or get through busy spots, then turn off the siren and drive normally again.
so?? who is it hurting for them to get through traffic? What good is a cop stuck in traffic? I'd much rather have them patrolling around.

Honestly, what benefits them to run through a red light with their lights on? They are authorized to do so, and its not like they're trying to get accross town to see a movie... they're WORKING.

I agree that they do abuse their power, but not in the case of using their lights to get through traffic.

BTW: Super Troopers is a work of art 8) I know that movie by heart almost, it is sad.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

bmwm3guy wrote:so?? who is it hurting for them to get through traffic? What good is a cop stuck in traffic? I'd much rather have them patrolling around.

Honestly, what benefits them to run through a red light with their lights on? They are authorized to do so, and its not like they're trying to get accross town to see a movie... they're WORKING.
True, but I believe they aren't suppose to run lights unless it's an emercengy. For all we know they could be trying to get though to go to the donut shop, but if their lights aren't on the whole time, it's not an emergency, thus they should be using their powers for personal gain. Sure, a cop stuck in traffic doesn't do much good if their actually on their way to a real emergency, but if they have no real reason to get/be anythere, than they should drive like the rest of the people.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
tw1st3d_cl0wn
Supporting Member

Post by tw1st3d_cl0wn »

It really depends on the cop. I mean, I've talked to some really nice cops, who do care about what they do, and then I've met some really nasty cops who think they can do whatever they want. Although they do sometimes abuse their power, I think in some aspect cops deserve alot more credit than they get. I mean I'm sure they deal with things that alot of people couldn't handle, and there are times where they put their life on the line. And I think alot of people see cops as being like... above everyone else, like they're super human and can't ever mess up, but they are human and make mistakes like anyone else.

As far as the cops using their lights to run a red light- I say, hey, fine with me, because it's better that they're ahead of me than behind me. 8)
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I know more than a few cops.. I meet quite a few in my line of business (which also helps keep me from getting ticketed a lot.. but thats another story ;) ) I have noted that when I meet cops in person away from their patrol cars.. they are much nicer people.. but put one behind the wheel and its like handing a baby a shotgun or something. I dont like getting pulled over.. but who does? But they are just doing their job. At least that is what they say. I wasnt aware that their jobs were to educate people on traffic laws and safety.. but from the number of speeches I have been forced to listen to from cops amped up on donuts and coffee.. I guess that is part of their job beyond just enforcing the laws as well. Personally.. if they are going to give me a ticket.. I wish they would just shut up and do so. Granted I would take a speech over a ticket anyday.. But there is no way to tell if the cop has had his donut fix or not.. and if you interrupt these power crazed sugar depraved individuals.. you can be garaunteed you will be getting a ticket. Cops dont even have to justify their actions to anyone. However.. in today's society.. a lot of cop cars now have camera's mounted on their dash boards that watch & record the action when they pull someone over.. these camera's are apparently activated remotely randomly and whenever a officer calls in for backup. So this has dampened a lot of the Meglomaniac Cop persona's that were so common around here just 10 years ago.. The last couple of times I have been pulled over.. were pleasant and quick.. one from a tail light out and one for doing 42 in a 35.. I didnt get a ticket for either. But then I have a squeaky clean record for the past 12 years. But believe me.. I could tell you guys some serious horror stories about cops and my experiences with them in traffic. Power corrupts.. and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Corny phrase.. but usually true. Its amazing what people do and then rationalize or justify it later.. and politicians and cops are usually very good at that. Just my opinion.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

havent met good cop yet, theyre all asses in my town especially after recent 'cuts' while i see even more of them than before
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

Cops here are useless, its not like anything actually happens here.. they might occasionally get an oxycontin addict breaking in to someones house with a plastic knife and stealing 20 dollars off the kitchen table. There is like no shootings here or anything. The running through red lights thing just pisses me off.. As far as I see.. they can be doing their job sitting at the red light there is not going to be any more crime 10 seconds up the road then at that intersection. As far as Im concerned, running a red light for no reason is needlessly endangering peoples lives.. Someone could slam right into the side of him because he ran through a red light.

You should hear some of the stuff cops have said to me.. Talking like they are above the law. 'I can impound your car' Blah blah blah... Yeah whatever you idot.. Ive read the highway traffic act.. have you? Basically its illegal for you to even touch my car without justifible cause. If you decide to tear off half the tint on my front window well then thats destruction of property there buddy.. and you can get in serious trouble for that.. its not up to the cop to decide what is and isnt allowd with your car.. its up to the highway traffic act.
I might start carrying a tape recorder so I can get there crap on tape. You need stuff like that in court, it makes it easier to win when you can prove that the cop is a liar. Man that would be so satsifying.. prove the cop an idot in court.
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Franko wrote:As far as I see.. they can be doing their job sitting at the red light there is not going to be any more crime 10 seconds up the road then at that intersection. As far as Im concerned, running a red light for no reason is needlessly endangering peoples lives.. Someone could slam right into the side of him because he ran through a red light.
Exactly! Plus, what happens if the crime is 10 seconds behind them? They just ran the red light for nothing...

Franko wrote:I might start carrying a tape recorder so I can get there crap on tape. You need stuff like that in court, it makes it easier to win when you can prove that the cop is a liar. Man that would be so satsifying.. prove the cop an idot in court.
Well fortunately my microphone for my voice recognition on the carpc can also double as a recorder as well, it was part of the plan when I implemented, however I haven't had it hooked up in a while since the onboardsound car mic jack was blocked by my custom back plane on my case, but I'm planing on hooking it back up when i get her back and find some easy to use software to allow quick recording with my remote wonder...but it's pretty sad that we need to arm ourselves to protects ourselves from the service designed to protect us
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Meep

Post by Meep »

I've been pulled over once for going 27 in a 25. That guy was just being an *ss. He was probably trying to fulfill some quota. He commented that he'd be 'nice' and give me a warning.

I've also been stalked by a motorcycle cop on my drive up to the college one day. He followed me (also had a friend in the car with me) down 4 streets (including 3 lights and a stop sign). Feeling no need to pull over because he never turned his lights on or issued any warning for a stop, I went ahead and parked on campus. He pulled up beside me in a parking space and I asked him, "Is there a problem?" He looks at me, my friend, and inside my car. "Are you wearing your seatbelt?" I look down (as I already knew) as does my friend to find yes, we're -still- wearing our seatbelts. I tell him yes and he begins to lecture us on how 'kids these days don't wear seatbelts' yada yada. I think he was just tartgeting us because we were two 18y/o's driving around.

Also, when going on the local military base they check your IDs. Up until I got married, I often would get checked because they thought I was driving illegally (there are age limits for nightime driving here). If I showed them my military ID (which we're supposed to do), they'd tell me to pull aside and take out my driver's license to prove I was 'old enough to drive'.

There also was this one time I got pulled over on base by an MP because I was driving my MX-3. The MP at the check point had me pull over to '"check my engine compartment and trunk". Turns out, he only pulled me over to ask me about my MX-3 and look at my engine because he also owned one, his just didn't work well enough to drive or something like that.
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Post by Ricksmx3 »

Well in my personal experience i have meet both sides of the cop spectrum. Once i was driving back from south carolina from visiting my mom and was following someone going really slow so when i got hte oppurtunity to pass i did but with a little speed. So the cop pulls me over and says you know how fast you were going back there? I say maybe 65 to 70. He says no try 82 and you do know the speed limit is 60mph right. So i act surprised like wow really and he says yes let me see your license and registration please. So i give them to him he says why you here in SC? I say visiting my mom and he says ok well just slow it down and be carefull on your way back. Another time i was driving home at maybe 10pm in some traffic cops pulls me over and says you know the speed limit is 55mph right? I say yes then he says then why where you going 62mph? I say i was following traffic he says no son your were speeding and heres a ticket. So i still cant stand them bastards!
2010 MazdaSpeed 3
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

And all used car salesmen are dishonest, all real estate agents are shonky, politicians lie all the time. There. Nothing like big fat generalizations.

Every post here that says anything about police abusing their power seems to refer to uniform cops in patrol cars. The police force is a huge organization way bigger than just the guys on patrol. I don't think it correct to say "the police abuse their power" and then give example of only one small segment of the force. Perhaps the question should have been "do police officers on patrol in marked cars abuse their power?".

I know that everyone who has given their opinions are basing their comments on their own experiences. Perhaps people would have more positive things to say if they have ever had to deal with the police on more serious matters that make running a red light with their siren on pale into insignificance. It can be comforting to know that such a well organised and resourced body is, at the end of the day, on our side.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”

Return to “Off-Topic”