Parking MX for 1yr in non-heated garage (How should i prep?)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
quicksliver

Parking MX for 1yr in non-heated garage (How should i prep?)

Post by quicksliver »

I've got to park my MX in a non-heated garage for just over 1yr. It won't be drivin at all during this time. What should i do to the car before i park her for the year?
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Stick it on stands to save the tyres and disconnect the battery. Others may be able to add more ideas but I think what you do after the one year is most important.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

change your oil, add a fuel stabilizer, dont leave your e-brake on wash, wax and vacum out your car before you store it
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

remove your brake discs and calipers and lube them up completely.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

I believe there's a spray protectant for engine bays for just such a purpose. Perhaps ask owners of vintage cars what storing practices they use. Spray protectant on metal surfaces to protect from rust, a spray for the engine bay and other parts to protect the rubber parts. Gas tank filled to the max with a fuel stabilizer. A clean interior with an air freshener left in would be a good idea. Up on blocks or jack stands for the suspension. I would also spray a little oil into each cylinder just to leave a little coating on top of the pistons and would do that again when it's time to take it out of storage but with the plugs out of course. A good car cover would be good. I'd also place sheets of old boxes or cardboard anchored down underneath the whole car to absorb the possible accumulation of moisture that usually occurs in a non-heated storage facility because of the fluctuating temps that it may be exposed to. Can't think of anything else, but will edit if needed.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
slimsmedley

Post by slimsmedley »

remove the windscreen washer rubbers and grease the sunroof runners
1994 Eunos 30x Sports
blaze red, Jap KL-DE 2.5 V6 conversion, KL28 ecu, Auto to Manual gearbox conversion, lightened flywheel, Top Gun leads, aftermarket radiator, Elf engine oil and filters, 2 1/4" cat-back mandrel bent exhaust with carbon fibre/stainless steel muffler and 4" tip, Pioneer sound system, 17" SSW rims, 101.3 wheel k/watts @ 6500rpm
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

I'd say most important thing is get someone to start it every few weeks if possible.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Rick Johnson wrote:I'd say most important thing is get someone to start it every few weeks if possible.
people believed so for years but that has been proven to be wrong
Take out spark plugs and spray some lubricant in there.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Oh really? Well I doubt your battery is going to last a year, disconnected or not. So either run the car, put it on a trickle charger, or have it charged every few months.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Rick Johnson wrote: 04 SRT-4 Stock for now...
:shock: Just noticed that, that's gotta be a lotta fun. Don't tell me it's your winter beater .... LOL
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

SRT-4 fast car but not very good in autocross, but non the less very fast car.
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

V8KOMX3 wrote:SRT-4 fast car but not very good in autocross, but non the less very fast car.
very fast? hmm i would say quick ya...fast, nope, very fast-definitely not!
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

well mit that is you opinion but I believe for the price the speed you get is very fast. I shouldn't say very fast car and not explain I guess but for the price very fast car stock. It's not an atom but hey we all have to start somewhere.
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

very fast for the price? doubdtful as i can get 11 sec car for 15k, that WOULDNT lose value every year but GAIN it
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

tip

Post by Spinkx79 »

I used to have to put a few mothballs in the tailpipes and in the shaker of my Trans AM to keep the critters out.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”