ATX fluid in MX3 tranny?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
bmwm3guy

ATX fluid in MX3 tranny?

Post by bmwm3guy »

OK so after changing my axels, I had a leak problem which has now fixed itself. In the meantime I had added ATX tranny fluid to my tranny which was low at the advice of a tech at Canadian Tire ( I didnt feel like adding 80$ worth of Readline MT90 which is what I normally use). Now my gears are a b***h and my tranny seems stiff. Liquid level is fine, but I was wondering did I just screw up my tranny by listening to this f**kers advice?

Please say no :(

Im gonna change the liquid this weekend anyways now that it doesnt seem to leak anymore. But I was curious if its to little, to late.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

you got manual? if so ya ur trans kinda f99ed
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

I use 2L atf and 1L gear oil and it shifts a lot better than redline and only cost me 10 buxs. check your oil level
92 mx-3 RS RIP | 95 mx-3 GS sold | 93 mx-3 GS SE sold | 95 mx-3 GS present
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Dexron ATF is fine. It's actually better for low temperature shifting in the winter. But it doesn't provide as much protection in the summer heat. But I've got about 1 quart of Dexron 5 in my box right now because I didn't feel like buying yet another quart of Synchromesh after having to take my axles out for the thousandth time. It works fine for me. :shrug:
xerostatus

Post by xerostatus »

So... ATF is fine to use in a manual tranny? Why then was i told in a different thread that ATF is a no-no?

I also read in my chilton manual: "For 1990-1992 vehicles, Mazda recommends using SAE 75W-90 or Dexron II ATF for all season protection..."

Is this accurate? Sorta confusing when im receiving two completely opposite answers, lol..
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

yes, u can use ATF fluid in the G series tranny. In fact, I used to have a old 88 626 and Mazda recommends ATF fluid weird eh :?
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

I changed my fluid last night (which was full) for Redline MT90 now. I already notice that it is shifting better.
NOTHING

Post by NOTHING »

if your talkin about an automatic tranny then this might help u and alot of other people who dont know this little known fact.....all automatic tranny fluid has cleaning agents added to it to clean help clean your tranny, problem is when u dont change it for long periods of time and the disks inside your tranny r old the fluid does end up cleaning your tranny to good and cleans off what little disk particle u had left which is why most mechanics who work on very old trannys or trannys with liquid thats not of redish color (it usually turns brownish when old) they reuse the old fluid so there wont b gear slips or what have u... so if your tranny fluid was old then id say u might have to get a new master kit but im just guessing i dont know the simptoms of your tranny
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Mazda shop manual sais you can use AT Dexron II or 75/90. I think that 75/90 feels better though.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”