Bogging in wet weather...

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
sexy_mx3

Bogging in wet weather...

Post by sexy_mx3 »

Just a question, does anyone else's MX3 bog in the rainy weather? I mean mine really does, even after letting it warm up for like 10 mins... Any idea of what it is or how to fix it??
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Try pulling codes from the ECU.. I have heard that there is some kind of Barometric Pressure sensor.. not sure exactly how it works.. but.. if its faulty.. it should show up in the error codes. Sorry I cant be more specific than this off hand.. but its the first thing that came to mind. Best of luck.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

Do you have a CAI?
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

wheres ponty pool?

and yes it has to do with your intake.
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

check your spark plug holes for water...sometimes the plug wire boots don't seal properly and let water down in there...seems like it would be miss firing if this was the problem though. might as well check it however, since it is really easy to do.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
sexy_mx3

Post by sexy_mx3 »

MX3-Freak - nope dont have one

DavidOS - pontypool is near Peterborough, and I dont have an aftermarket intake

As for tunes and ryan, I'll get my boyfriend to check that out this weekend, thanks guys!
GregoryChristian
Supporting Member

Post by GregoryChristian »

Tunes67 wrote:Try pulling codes from the ECU.. I have heard that there is some kind of Barometric Pressure sensor.. not sure exactly how it works.. but.. if its faulty.. it should show up in the error codes
Tunes67

that was the same thing wrong with my Girlfriends Prote`ge, I ran some codes and discovered it was the Barometric pressure switch ( very small about the size of a Matchbox) ...called around to get prices and the cheapest was Autozone at $288.00 :shock: ...I could only imagine what the Mazda dealer price was, anyway I did some looking around the sensor and found a broken vaccum line and fixed in about 5 minutes... :D
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Tunes67 wrote:Try pulling codes from the ECU.. I have heard that there is some kind of Barometric Pressure sensor.. not sure exactly how it works.. but.. if its faulty.. it should show up in the error codes. Sorry I cant be more specific than this off hand.. but its the first thing that came to mind. Best of luck.
Tunes67
Approx page in shop manual F2-87. Atmospheric Pressure Sensor located inside ECU. Looked inside KL01 ECU and I can't see what would appear to be one but that doesn't mean it ain't there.
Code for APS - 14
Last edited by jschrauwen on July 30th, 2005, 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

seal ur distributor cap off from any moisture entering into it

i bet you 1000 dolla that thats the problem. Its very common for older cars

OR check the plugswires, if moisture is getting near the plugs it can cause missing
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

Did you fix it yes? and I agree with Gro. I had a car before that gave me the exact problem he was speaking of. Did what he pretty much said and no problems ever again.
If you fall, then get back up........Luck favors the prepared
sexy_mx3

Post by sexy_mx3 »

Well I don't know yet if I fixed it because it lead up to my other post of my car not starting.... so I changed the distributor cap, changed my spark plugs, put on new battery connectors and now my check engine light is on!! :rant2: Grrr! So I think I am going to have to take my baby to a shop and get it all taken care of. :cry: mo money, mo money, mo money... is all i see.... :x
Mazderati

Post by Mazderati »

Holy Pontypool! I was born in Peterborough, so I'm one of the few who knows where on earth that is. Went thru there may times on a short cut to the cottage as a kid.
I would agree with Gro, it probably is the dist cap. I had that problem a couple of years back. However, one other thing you could check is to see if you are getting some electrical arching around the disty with some of the other electrical wires that run thru that area. I also had this problem and it was a real pain to find. Same symptoms you are describing.

Good luck to Pontypool!

8) 8)
96 GS, 17" Niche's, Falken 40's. Eibach springs, Tokico S/R struts, Ractive front & rear strutbars. Supertrapp exhaust, K & N intake. Soundstream Reference, JL & Eclipse audio.

Green means "Go", Yellow means, "Go Faster"!!
GregoryChristian
Supporting Member

Post by GregoryChristian »

sexy_mx3 wrote: ... and now my check engine light is on!! :rant2: Grrr! So I think I am going to have to take my baby to a shop and get it all taken care of. :cry: mo money, mo money, mo money... is all i see.... :x

have you tried disconnecting the battery from the terminals for a couple of minutes and reconnecting them ? I had the same engine light problem in the past and had to let it reset and all was fine ..... :)
sexy_mx3

Post by sexy_mx3 »

Well, my car seems to be runninhg a lot ballsier now! I knew she had it in her! But my check engine light is still on. I took the battery cable off for about 30mins and nothing but my friends husband (he's a machanic) said that it should just go off on its own. So I am hoping for the best and thanks again to everyone that was helping me out with this! I appreciate it a lot. :D
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

so what year is it? might be able to get the code out ur self, or your mechanic friend can do it for you.

can't find the link now but I bet someone could post the link to how to pull the codes.

If you have a code. U should find out what trigger'd it fix the problem - don't just reset the code and hope.

And too reset - remove negative terminal, pump brake 5 times slowly then put the terminal back on. Should take about 15 to 30 seconds to complete this.

post the code when u find it and we'll give you a better idea of the problem
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”