KLDE-T Megasquirt'n'sparked and running!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
rebel2k4

KLDE-T Megasquirt'n'sparked and running!

Post by rebel2k4 »

Well, I bought my megasquirt last year but I finally finished rounding up parts and doing the install.

I am running the stock KL48 ECU to control the IAC, fuel pump, and fans, but other than that megasquirt is running fuel and spark. I also got rid of the VAF :D

I am running SR20DE injectors (260cc redtops) in modded stock fuel rails. I used a dremel and shaved the tops to make them flow 550cc.

I have been tuning a LOT lately, and have a pretty good VE table built now. anyone planning to run the 550cc modded redtops, let me know, I can hook you up with my settings. It is mapped to 20 psi of boost, with a lot of resolution in the lower kpa settings for cruising.

It took about 3 hrs to get to the point I am now as far as tuning is concerned. I had to change everything, from cranking, to afterstart, to acceleration enrichments to get it to run somewhat like stock with the 550's.

I am getting almost 20 MPG now, vs. 25 mpg of stock. I think with some more tuning, I can get it back to the 25mpg range. An LM1 wideband DEFINATELY helps with the tuning.

Here's a couple pics I snapped. I ditched the FMU, vaf, extra injectors, etc. so underhood is actually cleaner. I will take some pics after I redo my charge pipe and install my millenia mani, now that I no longer need a VAF :)

The brain....

Modded nissan injectors in modded stock rails...

Tuning station... (yes, crappy pic, sunlight to blame)

And installed. Taps off stock ecu for many of the connections. With the stock trim pieces in place, you never know it's there...

For now I am running stock disty for ignition. Had to do the pullup mods to use it, but they are very simple. All I have left to do it loom the harness under the hood and add some resistors to kill the CEL, since I dont have the VAF anymore.[/img]
94 Mazda MX3 GS - 395 whp 397 ft lbs untuned on pump gas and stock KLDE 15 psi boost. now running 16 psi and E85.. numbers=? 425ish whp
04 GSXR 600- full exh, power commander 3, int turn signals, etc
98 Ford Ranger 3.0L
01 YZ250- most fun vehicle Ive ever owned.
95 Eclipse- built 420a, 60-1, megasquirt, 371 whp @ 17 psi, dsm-broken-car-curse
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

lookin good man, got a link or 2 to the sites that i need to order some MS stuff from :wink:
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
rebel2k4

Post by rebel2k4 »

I got mine from http://www.glensgarage.com for $140 shipped. You have to assemble it yourself, and youll also want the stimulator kit to test the unit when its done. Glens garage takes like 3-4 weeks ship time.

I believe theres a new site selling them, I dont know it off hand as I only have seen it in banners on mx6.com. Ill keep an eye out.

Theres also a bulk buy on pre assembled units AFAIK on PT.
94 Mazda MX3 GS - 395 whp 397 ft lbs untuned on pump gas and stock KLDE 15 psi boost. now running 16 psi and E85.. numbers=? 425ish whp
98 Ford Ranger 3.0L
95 Eclipse- built 420a, 60-1, megasquirt, 371 whp @ 17 psi, dsm-broken-car-curse
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

Shaodome on PT s the one running the Bulk Buy. He made mine and put it in for me since I live a few minutes away. He's kinda taken MX3ZE under his wing as a little project. We've got the squirt doing everything. Even put in a probe radiator with the better probe fans. Engine runs super cool now.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
rebel2k4

Post by rebel2k4 »

Yeah jordan is a good guy.

I had problems at first, and he was there helping me out and gave suggestions and helped me troubleshoot.
98 Ford Ranger 3.0L
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

I`m in the process of doing this MS install myself, and I`m thinking of getting the MS do everything (remove the stock ECU).

I know I have to do some mods to the hardware (pullup`s etc), but I have a hard time finding the parts needed.

I got a complete kit from http://www.diyautotune,com, and I was hoping someone could hook me up with the rest of the small components.

I have the money ready to paypal, and shipping on a few small electronic components should be max $10 Usd.

If anyone have the time to get the parts and mail them to me, I`d be very happy :)

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

nice setup
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

What version is your MS?
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

props on the install & intuitive injector install.

post more pics & info as you go along! i'm considering turbo'ing my ZE with a MS setup but not sure yet
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
rebel2k4

Post by rebel2k4 »

Thanks for the comments guys.

I am running megasquirt V2.2 with the MS'n'S 021u3 firmware.

nope mx3 what parts do you need? Do you have any sort of electronics stores in your area? Theres a lot of places online you can order parts and they will ship to you, just something to think about.

Gro, turbo that KL. I sure didnt regret turbo'ing mine. It's a whole different car.
98 Ford Ranger 3.0L
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

rebel2k4 wrote:Thanks for the comments guys.

I am running megasquirt V2.2 with the MS'n'S 021u3 firmware.

nope mx3 what parts do you need? Do you have any sort of electronics stores in your area? Theres a lot of places online you can order parts and they will ship to you, just something to think about.

Gro, turbo that KL. I sure didnt regret turbo'ing mine. It's a whole different car.
I need the pullup resistors and the ZTX688 transistor.
I have found the transistor I need, but not the pulluo resistors.
http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler ... deid=52202

All I need is to find all the stuff I need to convert the MS to MS n` Spark.
and mouser ships to Norway for cheap too.

nope-mx3
dewthis

Post by dewthis »

Nice set up man. I need to go out and buy a welder so I can start on my project. :lol: I would like to run 5-6 psi on my ZE, nothing to crazy. Anyways MS is the way to go, just takes some time as you already know. Awesome work! Need some pics.
65 shot > V8
rebel2k4

Post by rebel2k4 »

Holy hell I am holding a solid 15 psi now! This thing gets with it for sure...

Took some detonation and crap to get there, but now it is tuned. I am POURING in h20 to keep the charge temps below 150 degrees.

I will try to get some more pics soon. The underhood is much cleaner now, and i got a nice shiny millenia intake mani now too, and a 1G DSM bypass :)

Nope mx3 what about digi key?
98 Ford Ranger 3.0L
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Gro Harlem wrote: i'm considering turbo'ing my ZE with a MS setup but not sure yet
WhachutalkingboutWillis? You can't even keep from breaking stuff as is. Then you're going to turbo it?
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

digi-key is more expensive than mouser.com on shipping (and on parts).
All I need is the partnumber or something to help me find the two pullup resistors I need.

------------------------
Quote:
Ryan says:
but... you will need a 12v pullup on the tach input
and a 5v pullup on the ignition output

ok... well 680 ohm on the tach input
330 ohm on the ignition output
680 goes to 12v
330 goes to 5v
use LED 17 for the ignition output... and replace the pn2222a transistor on Q5 with a ZTX688 transistor so you can control the idle
-------------------------

there, maybe you understand what I need now :)

nope-mx3

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”