need help deciding on an MX-3 (I'm new to them) Klze?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
adjare87

need help deciding on an MX-3 (I'm new to them) Klze?

Post by adjare87 »

This is going to be a long question but hopefully somebody can help me with it. I am currently driving an indy fiero but need something more than a two seater, I am thinking about purchasing an mx-3. I want something that handles great and is fast. I am going to be driving to college next year and will need to get 20 mpg. I want to get the most hp but not sacrifice to much mpg. I was thinking about a klze swap but do not know what components would need to be changed on the engine to make it best for my purposes. ( Like I said I'm new to all of this, so I need to know everything, I would like something that will shut up an integra type r) How much would something like this cost? My dad has done plenty of work on vehicles but doesnt know anything about mazdas, so could we do the work ourselves? I would also like to do some suspension work to improve cornering and handling, would anybody make any recommendations for upgrades? Well I know this is a lot to tackle at once but any help would be greatly appreciated, I need to know if this car will be right for me. I am new to all of this but have read plenty of the forums but would like a complete run-down and your opinions. Thanks, Adam
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

a klze mx-3 will woop a stock IT-R. The engine is bolt on if you get a curved neck intake manifold. If you get the straight neck version then just swap out the intake manifold for a 2.5 millenia one which you can get at any junkyard. You need a ze ecu. Thats it!
adjare87

Post by adjare87 »

What components (headers, cams...) could I add to a KLZE to up the horsepower but still get 20 mpg? Or is this asking too much?
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

adjare87, A KLZE swap is pretty simple as far a motor swaps go, and for beating a type R, I think it would be a close race and could go either way depending on the drivers, I haven't raced one yet personally so...

As far as seating, if you are planning on carrying passengers on a somewhat regular basis the mx-3 is not for you. The back seats are pretty damn small, but if it's for occasional use and just throwing s--- back there then they are adequate.

And handling wise, stock they handle really well, with a new suspension set up they handle awesome. You can get Eibach springs and the Ford racing ZX2 struts which go great together and lower the car about 1.5" and can be had at a decent price.

As for upgrades on cams, theres a couple out there <mike seli's for one> but they seem to have mixed reviews, the stock ZE KL31 cams are pretty hot already so it wouldnt be much improvement for the cost.

And for mileage 25+mpg is not uncommon in a well running ZE, good luck with your choice!
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

The search function on this BB works quite well. Since most of your questions have generally been answered already, I strongly recommend a half day dedicated to researching all of those same questions again, which by the way have been answered, discussed, re-hashed, re-evaluated and re-asked many times over. Your own search through our archives will reveal much more data by which you will be able to make a more than reasonably educated decision. As a new member it may be a good idea to get off on the right foot and not expect to be spoon fed solutions to questions that have already been answered. Since you queried about the mileage issue more than once, I just jotted some (rough) figures yesterday at fill-up on my ZE and it took 42 liters to refill after completing 450 kms....haven't done the mpg calculations yet but I think it isn't too bad...you decide.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

i got an automatic mx-3 gs and my bro actually has a fiero 2m4. ive raced him so many times and never won once. on the highway i can kick his a-- though. but in defence i think my engine is fried. every time i raced him im always up on his a--. a kl-ze in a mx-3 would be fast and kill a fiero unless it has engine my bro is gettin(3.8 litre supercharged). then none of us have a chance.
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

Dude you lose to a fiero wow something must be wronge with the car becaue I smoke fiero's all day long
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

AS for milage, my MX3 with a KL swap yielded 32MPG going an average of 65MPH driving from Las Vegas to Chicago. And that's with the MX3 transmission which is geared lower. If I put an MX6 tranny in, I bet I could have averaged 35MPG.
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

yeah most ppl get better gas mileage when they swap in the 2.5 engine. I dont really think mods like intake, exhaust, headers will affect your gas mileage to much.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

most common mods such as headers and intake will increase HP and MPG, since the ECU has a preset fuel map and the extra HP means that the engine has to work less to get the same result you get better MPG.

As for the swap, do a search and read a few swap pages. I have one at http://www.atlantamx3.com/mocaforum it is not completely finshed, but all the necessary steps are there. I just need to break it down into smaller steps and include some pics.

As for beating a Type R, it would be difficult if the other guy can drive. A Type R has about the same HP and a lot less weight. A ZE has much more torque and more usable torque at a lower RPM, but a Type R weighs almost nothing.

Good luck and I hope that you join the family. We are tight nit group and will all be very helpful when it comes to modifieing your MX-3.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

V8KOMX3 wrote:Dude you lose to a fiero wow something must be wronge with the car becaue I smoke fiero's all day long

like i said in my defence i have a fried engine but still runs goo. also im automatic and he is standard. i got 175,000kms on mine and he has about 120,000 and he spent 2.5yrs restoring it and fixing it up.
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

guys an integra type r actually weighs more then a ze mx-3. Has about the same amount of hp and a lot less torque. Why would the mx-3 lose? Type R's run about a high 14's to low 15's in the quarter stock. Most ze mx-3's on here i've seen are running low-high 14's.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

There V-Tech system is really intense, I dunno if you guys have ever been in one but they are pretty damn quick, and with mods they can be even faster, I have yet to be in a KLZE but I seriously think it would be equal till maybe over 120 KM/H where I think the mx would take over.
dewthis

Post by dewthis »

ITR are way over rated! An EK civic with a GSR swap would be a better foe.

I have a 4-door GSR and they are pretty strong on the top end, but they are no match for the ZE.

Anyways don't be scared of an ITR if you have a ZE with the bolt ons, and with spray... forget it.
65 shot > V8

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”