Clutch Question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Citizenska

Clutch Question

Post by Citizenska »

Newbie to Mx-3's. I'm having issues with my clutch. Firstly, in neutral you hear a light grind noise coming from under the car. Secondly I'm not sure if it's my imagination but I believe the pedal is a little soft. Someone suggest the pilot bearing is going out and to just replace the entire clutch if that's the case. Also maybe slave or master cylinder?

Second part to this question is if I'm going to buy the parts to replace the clutch would anyone suggest sticking with stock or upgrading to an aftermarket? If aftermarket is the case what would anyone suggest for pretty much stock 93 MX3 SE. I also want to make sure whatever it is it won't kill the stock tranny. So far I just have a cold air intake and after market muffler on the car but future wise i'd like to squeeze some more power out of this engine.

-Chris
Chris
Citizenska

Spec Stage 1

Post by Citizenska »

Would anyone suggest

the Spec Stage 1 clutch? It is a sprung hub and this website is selling it for $210 with free ground shipping. Hows the price and performance? I'm curious how it will work with my stock transmission.

http://www.clutchcityonline.com/spec/mazda_mx3.htm
Chris
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

someone recently posted here w/positive review of the Spec clutches. Noticed you say for a 93 SE (which would be a K8 1.8L V6). That Spec Stage 1 clutch is listed on their site for 299.00. The Stage 1 for 210.00 is listed for the 1.6L 4 cyl. SOHC engine - not an SE model motor. fwiw.
Image -Jim
Citizenska

Wear and Tear?

Post by Citizenska »

damn your right! I've spent to much time price hunting I miss things like that. The only real question I have is if it will affect the stock transmission in any negative way? Such as wear and tear.
-Chris
Chris
Citizenska

Exedy

Post by Citizenska »

If the spec 1 ends up being out of my price range will an exedy clutch kit do the job? I'm not familiar the there quality regarding clutches.

http://www.clutchcityonline.com/mazda_mx3.htm

$125.? Decent?
Chris
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Exedy has a very good rep as a solid OEM or better-than-OEM replacement. Several BB members have given positive reviews of the Exedy clutch and unless you're gonna be layin rubber on the street or strip, would think it should do fine for ya. In fact, any brand new clutch will probably seem a great improvement to replace a worn one. Exedy would be at least as good as your current one when it was new.
Image -Jim
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

if you hear grinding sounds when you push the pedal all the way to the floor while its in gear then it isn't disengaging all the way. The synchros are grinding, thats the sound ur hearing.

bleed your clutch, it probably has a crapload of air in it, or possibly a leak
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Citizenska

Last Quesiton

Post by Citizenska »

You guys have been a great help. Just one more question. Installing a clutch is beyond my skill. How much can should I expect to pay to have one installed. Also would you guys suggest taking it to a shop or giving a mobile independant mechanic a call to come out and maybe save a little cash doing it?
Chris
vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

since the tranny has to be dropped it would probably cost around 800 cnd for the labour and clutch. if not more. if you look at the online manual it shows you how to remove the tranny. it really isn't that difficult, just time consuming. just prop up the engine with a jack and undo the engine mounts holding the tranny (disconnect the wires first). then you unbolt the tranny and take it off. then you unbolt the clutch from the flywheel, you will have to take off the flywheel and get it shaved before installing the clutch. then put the flywheel on the engine and align the clutch to the flywheel and bolt it on. then do the reverse of everything else. good luck
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/730367 - UPDATED!!!!!!!

'94 MX-3 GS KLZE, KL01 Cams, Fidanza Flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, WeaponR Ram Air, 2 1/4 exhaust, Nichi Neptune Rims, Toyo Proxy 45 Rubber.

lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

$500 in just labor wouldn't surprise me.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Mech install runs a total of $500 - 600 USD around here incl. parts and labor.
Image -Jim
GtownMX3v6

Post by GtownMX3v6 »

FYI, you can order the oem style Exedy clutch new off ebay for $108, plus $13 shipped to CA. The stage 1 eClutchmaster kit is $185 plus $20 for shipping. Stage 2 6-puck eClutchmaster racing clutch is like $269.99 plus $20 for shipping.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”