Synthetic Oil - Mazda Engines

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Paylrider

Synthetic Oil - Mazda Engines

Post by Paylrider »

I recently purchased a 1992 GS :D , and when I went to do my first oil change, was going to use Castrol blended synthetic/regular oil. I was told at the garage that Mazda does not recommend synthetic oil in their engines :cry: . My engine has 210000 KM on it, is it true only regular oil is recommended by Mazda, or is blended oil ok :?:
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Kick your garage manager in the nads.
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

hes full of it, it wont hurt it and kick him int eh nuts like was said already
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
BornSticky

Post by BornSticky »

I know a lot of people here that recomend mobile 1 synthetic 10w30
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

you garage dude is an idiot period. Put syntec in and slap him in the face for me will ya[/b]
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Post by MX-3 Money »

lakersfan1 wrote:Kick your garage manager in the nads.
:werd:
1993 MX-3 GS 5 spd, KL-ZE swap, kl31 ecu, 110 amp alternator, Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley, SSautocrome headers, High flow cat, Pacesetter high flow cat-back, B&M shortshifter, Clear Sigs/Sides.
Mazderati

Post by Mazderati »

Been using Syntec since the car was new. Never heard any feedback like that. Have been asked why I use the 5-50 though. Always have, no probs.

Tell the mechanic you hope he likes singing soprano.

Then reenact that Van Damme move where you drop down into the splits and give him an open palm shot right in the nards.......

:lol: :lol: :lol:
96 GS, 17" Niche's, Falken 40's. Eibach springs, Tokico S/R struts, Ractive front & rear strutbars. Supertrapp exhaust, K & N intake. Soundstream Reference, JL & Eclipse audio.

Green means "Go", Yellow means, "Go Faster"!!
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: Synthetic Oil - Mazda Engines

Post by jschrauwen »

Paylrider wrote:I recently purchased a 1992 GS :D , and when I went to do my first oil change, was going to use Castrol blended synthetic/regular oil. I was told at the garage that Mazda does not recommend synthetic oil in their engines :cry: . My engine has 210000 KM on it, is it true only regular oil is recommended by Mazda, or is blended oil ok :?:
Hope that wasn't Cormier's Auto Pro in Trenton???
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I love that Van Dam move, but I think it would hurt me more than the person that I hit.... :lol:
I use syntheitc Mobile 1 and have never had a problem. Matter of fact I think the car looses less oil since I started using it in my K8, and the ZE doesn't seem to burn at all. Though all I've ever used in the ZE is Mobile 1 synthetic.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

I'm using Motul 15w50. am I the only one ?
I used to run always with Mobil 1 but a friend of mine who does a lot of drag racing is using this and recommend it to me. His name is DRAG323 on the board. 10 second mx-3
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Paylrider

Thanks for the info - Synthetic VS Blended

Post by Paylrider »

Thanks for the input, could I use straight synthetic on a car with 210000 km when it was probably using regular oil before? or should I use blended Castrol oil?
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

You should be be fine with a straight synth imho. Something like Mobil 1 or one of the other 100% synthetic oils in a 10W30. I have three Mazdas and bought em all used w/~160 - 185km on the speedo. Went right into using Mobil 10W30 with no probs and one of the cars had always had dino oil before I got it. No troubles and the cars burn practically no oil. Wouldn't recommend going to a 5W30 though. Could be too thin for a well-broken-in high mileage engine. My .02...
Image -Jim
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: Thanks for the info - Synthetic VS Blended

Post by jschrauwen »

Paylrider wrote:Thanks for the input, could I use straight synthetic on a car with 210000 km when it was probably using regular oil before? or should I use blended Castrol oil?
I have heard nasty stories from motorcycle circles that Castrol is not a great oil wrt leaving unwanted residue on the cams and valve train. Mobile1 is very good, although I would recommend babyblues suggestion and go for Motul or my favourite Agip(if I could ever find the stuff again). Just a preference. There's other excellent quality products in Quinte West, Royal Purple and (Red Line - from crappy tire).
pm me if you want to get together sometime - only 5 minutes away.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

could I use straight synthetic on a car with 210000 km when it was probably using regular oil before?
The answer to this is probably going to lie within your engine. Depends on the condition of your rings, valve guides & valve seals and gaskets (Valve Cover & oil pan). If everything is in good condition and has been properly maintained with reqular oil changes.. you shouldnt have any problem converting to a full synthetic oil.

However.. if your engine is already blowing a little blue smoke when shifting or at startup.. or if you have leaky gaskets.. you will likely notice that those problems will become more predominant once you start using the full synthetic oils. Synthetic oils offer far superior lubrication properties over conventional motor oils.. the downside is that since they are so much more slippery.. they will find any weak points in gaskets & seals and get past them.

Cant hurt to try it in the slightest. If you notice that you are burning oil or burning more oil.. switch back to a good conventional oil. Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

Someone on this board mentioned it a few months ago that using synthetic would only be okay if either:

1) You were going to take the engine apart and have it completely cleaned inside-out, or...
2) It's a brand new engine just ready to be broken in.

On a used engine that's about 10 years old, supposedly the gaskets have become dependent over time on the minerals that are present in non-synthetic oil to maintain a proper seal. That same guy, whoever it was, had said that switching to synthetic on a used engine will break down those seals cuz of the cleaning properties of synthetic, and you would have more leakage problems than anything else.

Subsequently, I haven't made the switch. I bought my 95 GS back in November, the shop had put in Quaker State 5W30 when I had the routine fluid change that comes with buying a used car and cuz winter was coming soon. I'm overdue for my oil change at the moment, but had topped it off with Castrol GTX 10W30 since I was running low, and I had intended to keep using Castrol GTX when I get the actual oil change done.

There's so many conflicting opinions here... can someone on this board please give us all the definitive answer as to why the switch to synthetic SHOULD or SHOULDN'T be made on a used engine and an explanation to disprove what I had mentioned above if I'm in the wrong in order to back that up.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”