Oil catch can

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
hgallegos915

Oil catch can

Post by hgallegos915 »

so does it go where the pvc valve is? or where the hose goes to the intake on the accordion hose?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

in between
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

got some kinda link to what one of these looks like? I was trying to find one hte other day all i could find was a fuel filter.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Grants website has a great how-to w/pics. http://www.mx3er.com/Info/Oil%20Catch%20Can.htm

I've seen these on ebay a lot.
Image -Jim
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

theres bunch on ebay for like $30 shipped, bought small one that would fit fine in engine compartment and wouldnt take up much space. got it installed on guy's neon and works fine, install it between pcv and hose to intake
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

mycar seems to run weird with this thing on...theres no leaks .there is a wheezing sound to it.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

what a waste of space. If you are blowing by so much oil that you need a catch can for it, something is wrong. :lol:
They do look neat, but geez-um what a waste of money...
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

PATDIESEL wrote:what a waste of space. If you are blowing by so much oil that you need a catch can for it, something is wrong. :lol:
They do look neat, but geez-um what a waste of money...
There does seem to be some solid reasoning for installing one, including:
- maintaining the correct octane rating of your fuel without being degraded by engine oil (which doesn’t burn cleanly)
- keeping the intake manifold, valve tops and cylinders clean.

There seems to be quite a few posts regarding cleaning the throttle body. With one of these you shouldn't need to.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

:werd:
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

bleh... there wasnt that much oil going to the valves anyways..the engine is in perfect shape..sorta lol but yeah i just did it because i am lazy to clean the manifold every year. It was only 30 dllrs.. I spend more money on dumb chicks..why not on the car right?
-hec

dewthis

Post by dewthis »

Take your Tb off and look where the IAC is and think about what goes into your motor. Vent the front valve cover to the atmosphere and run the other two lines to a catch can. Thats how I have mine.
65 shot > V8
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Grants, I understand what you are saying, but I've never seen a K series that had much blow by (comparitively). A simple inline filter on the head pressure hose (having a brain fart on the actual names of parts) should keep the gasses down enough to let the Bad burnt oil from collecting in the valve covers.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

ok ok so I setmit to atmospheric pressure..but well isnt that hose there for something? to vent the valves? what would I do to the lines that come out of the catch can to the intake manifold. That catch can well doesnt collect any oil because my engine doesnt spit oil. I did clean my manifold and inclogged a few lines. But ok yeah I tried venting it..and the car looses vacuum. What would be the best set up?
-hec

solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Honestly, I never liked the idea of a oil catch can...I have seen a inline filter (fram) that was fairly small and that caught these oild vapours and run off. I'll find the link to the post and put it here.

Here it is, this is what I was thinking of doing and possibly you guys to:

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=41583
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Barry had a good idea and I'd bet that is sufficient...

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”