Anyone Try Those Locking Hood Pins?

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Nd4SpdSe

Anyone Try Those Locking Hood Pins?

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

With my Mx-3 going in to get painted next week, it means that when i get her back, she'll be worthy of putting on my CF hood. Someone posted a thread about an interested in these types of hood pins:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=33646

And I've been considering them ever since. I wanna to get some fresh opinions on them before I order them.
Last edited by Nd4SpdSe on July 9th, 2005, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
sweetmx3

Post by sweetmx3 »

Hey Mike it is Louie i have these on my CF hood but they r silver i can send u a pic of them on the hood if u want a pic add me on msn and i can send u a pic.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I use ones made by AeroSpeed, and they work just fine. They are harder to fit and need to be lined up just right so that the bolt will go into the locking mechanism, but IMO they look so much better. Mine are silver CF also btw.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

Dont do it!!! Especially with the Carbon Fiber hood.

I know from first hand experience that these types of locking pins will pry themselves free and rip your hood right off the car!

What happens is that the CF hood will bow in the middle at high speeds and this can potentially cause the mechanism to slip out from its locked position.

You are better off with the conventional style pin. Much safer and IMO more appealing.
OSKY
95 MX-3 GS ZE Turbo: MSnS-extra, AEM WB, Blitz boost controller, MSD 6A w/ Blaster2 Coil, ZE disty, Redtops @ 550, Walbro 255, Garrett T3/T04E 60 Trim w/ .63 A/R, 38mm Deltagate Mark II @4psi, FMIC, Apexi BOV, CM Dual friction, 4-6.25 Kickers, 2ch Alpine V12. That's Alll.

http://www.pakfeifertuning.com
Legato626

hod pins

Post by Legato626 »

Well then you probably didnt install them right because i have them on my car and hell i love them. Took me some time to mount them and install them but i got them on and they look nice one my CF hood. My hood pins stay locked good. If your looks came off that wasn't becuase of the lock it probably came lose and twiced witch cosed it to unlock. Thats when you mount them the lockes them selfs aren't round. Make the hole in the hood the same shape as the lock so it will sit in there nice and snug and it wont turn if the nut unscrewes a little under the hood. Witch would cose the lock to basicly unlock itself. If you dont screw up on the alinement you dont even need to use the round CF plates so it would look good with just the lock on there. But i have never had one of my locks coming off even at 130 mph so i like how they look and they can hold on purty good.
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

if you sit there and look at the pins the only way they will unlock if the lock itself turns. Because there are 2 little hucks that just turn and go under 2 lips. So there would have to be some crazy bowing if they unlocked.
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

It didnt unlock or shift. With the bowing action of the hood, it came right out of the housing. I didnt notice any hooks that would prevent this motion.

I wish i could take some pics, but thats not possible at this time. If I do run into someone with them, ill snap a couple of pics to illustrate what i mean.

Its possible they were not installed 100% correctly, but i highly doubt it.
OSKY
95 MX-3 GS ZE Turbo: MSnS-extra, AEM WB, Blitz boost controller, MSD 6A w/ Blaster2 Coil, ZE disty, Redtops @ 550, Walbro 255, Garrett T3/T04E 60 Trim w/ .63 A/R, 38mm Deltagate Mark II @4psi, FMIC, Apexi BOV, CM Dual friction, 4-6.25 Kickers, 2ch Alpine V12. That's Alll.

http://www.pakfeifertuning.com
Legato626

hood pins

Post by Legato626 »

Thats wierd because my locking hood pins same he is looking at. They look on two hooks on each side. But iny our case thats just wierd that they come unlocked. Plus didnt you install them your self or did you have someone do it. Because i installed them my self they were realy easy just took along time to get them done.
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

NOT! they are spring loaded, they will not come off. they havent come off at 140 mph, and for over the year iv had them on the car. if installed properly they work great. and you will never have a problem. the only down side i think they have is thay are aluminum and not steel.

and another pic.

Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

after reading this again. i guess they could come off if placed on the out sides with no latch or safty cable in the center. I still use the stock latch.
Dominicanchu_Nmbr1

Post by Dominicanchu_Nmbr1 »

Josh wrote:... they havent come off at 140 mph...
ummm... :shock: how long did it take you to reach that speed? and where? not on a city street or highway i hope... be careful guys... if you drive too fast, no one will see how good your rides look.

if you don't want to use locks or are afraid they won't suffice, put duct tape around the hood's edges to hold it down to the car ok! JK... if you "feel" bad about the locks, go the conventional way with pins. that way you won't have to worry anymore, and i get the feeling that if you get the locks, and something DOES happen, you might blame the people here on the board that convinced you to get'em... but i don't think you're that kind of person. just do what makes you feel good about your choice, but get a professional shop to do the install to make sure it turns out fine. If they screw up, then i guess you can take'em to court for improperly installing your new safety feature.

140mph... must've been fun josh... and crazy too.
-=[Irving A.]=-
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Dominicanchu_Nmbr1 wrote:
Josh wrote:... they havent come off at 140 mph...
ummm... :shock: how long did it take you to reach that speed? and where? not on a city street or highway i hope... be careful guys... if you drive too fast, no one will see how good your rides look.

if you don't want to use locks or are afraid they won't suffice, put duct tape around the hood's edges to hold it down to the car ok! JK... if you "feel" bad about the locks, go the conventional way with pins. that way you won't have to worry anymore, and i get the feeling that if you get the locks, and something DOES happen, you might blame the people here on the board that convinced you to get'em... but i don't think you're that kind of person. just do what makes you feel good about your choice, but get a professional shop to do the install to make sure it turns out fine. If they screw up, then i guess you can take'em to court for improperly installing your new safety feature.

140mph... must've been fun josh... and crazy too.
All i will say is it was in a designated area away from anything and everything, although it was stupid, you have to max it out at least once. from 60 to 140 it takes under 30 sec. the car was still pulling strong but the 6500 RPM limiter was the culpret of not going further. now you have to remember my car is made to make high end power, and not much low, and im running 15 psi. after i get my BP ecu in then i will go to the Dyno. but the BP ecu will allow 8700 RPM limit. alot better for my cams as well as the 1/4 times.

140 is nothing on my ZX10, it s like a walk in the park. when raceing or doing anything of that kind one should always be under supervision, as well as whearing the proper protection. their is a time and a place for everthing and a public road street or Hwy is not the place to be racing or seeing how fast your car will go.
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Josh wrote: the BP ecu will allow 8700 RPM limit.

I dont think so Josh... Unless you have it reprogrammed or something...

Fuel cut is at 7500 I think.

I comfortably take mine to 7000 all the time.. I dont know if Id' feel safe going much above that.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

atlantamx3 wrote:
Josh wrote: the BP ecu will allow 8700 RPM limit.

I dont think so Josh... Unless you have it reprogrammed or something...

Fuel cut is at 7500 I think.

I comfortably take mine to 7000 all the time.. I dont know if Id' feel safe going much above that.
whoops i ment 7800, not 8700. that what i was told the rev limiter was on the ECU im getting. my motor has stronger valve train and is perfectly balanced and is supposed to withhold 9 to 10 thousand RPM quite easly. i have heard many people running the stock valve train up to 8 and 9 K on boosted motors. the mane pourpose is to get a little bit more time in first and seccond gear between shifts. and the cams i have will make peek HP between 6500 and 7200 RPM. It will be nice. After i get it all diled in, i will start the swap. im going to the 1/4 track tomarrow night. so ill get times as long as i dont blow my trans.
Dominicanchu_Nmbr1

Post by Dominicanchu_Nmbr1 »

cool. as long as you know what you're doing! be safe guys. Josh-hood looks awsome! :2thumbsup:
-=[Irving A.]=-

Return to “Appearance”