Quiet mufflers?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
insanerino

Quiet mufflers?

Post by insanerino »

Hey guys,
I was wanting to know what are the quietest mufflers you can buy for this car? Most people are into making their car real loud and low, but I want mine to have the high performance flow like any other, but a very very very quiet sound. What's out there?

Thanks
Randy
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

Flowmaster or DynoMax are good for performance and arrent too loud. :D
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

I bought a magnaflow and performance and noise are directly related. High performance, high noise...chambers and baffles are the best way to quiet down exhaust but they kill the flow. I was looking for the same thing. My Magnaflow is nice and quiet at idle a little rumble that sounds so good but at high rpms its loud.
93 GS KLZE Straight Neck (Parked)
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

I really liked the borla on my probe. It was quiet until I got to about 4K or higher. The resonater makes a big difference in the sound too.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

i got a 22" resonator and it quiets it down quite abit even with my headers..
Teal_93

Post by Teal_93 »

I got a cherry bomb in place of my cat & resonator. It's pretty quiet now & even got rid of the raspy noise from my Pacesetter headers.
chertel

Post by chertel »

My exhaust is loud too would it make much difference if I added another cat. converter at the back? I already have one at the front.
Teal_93

Post by Teal_93 »

add another resonator not a cat. A cat restricts the flow & if you already have one there is no need for another. A glass pack would help do the same thing.
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Post by Ricksmx3 »

Yeah i would add a glasspack not another cat. i got mine from here http://store.summitracing.com/default.a ... wordSearch and thats the one i got. Dont know if it will fit yours or not you would have to get under your car and see what the longest one you could fit would be. Made a huge difference in how my flowmaster sounded.
2010 MazdaSpeed 3
Teal_93

Post by Teal_93 »

that's what I used & it made a world of difference. Can get em at any parts store in may different lengths
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Walker Quietflow
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

bmwm3guy wrote:Flowmaster or DynoMax are good for performance and arrent too loud. :D
actually depending on model # flowmasters are loudest, dynomax got deep tone to it
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Post by Ricksmx3 »

Yeah i was useing a flowmaster 40 series and with the glass pack and a high flow cat it sounded awesome.
2010 MazdaSpeed 3
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

Ricksmx3 wrote:Yeah i was useing a flowmaster 40 series and with the glass pack and a high flow cat it sounded awesome.
That can mean either way depending on what your goal is. Awesome as in awesomely quiet or awesomely loud?
chertel

Post by chertel »

I checked under my car and there is a high flow cat and a resonator. It wont get any quieter? If I removed the resonator and put in a glass pack would that be better or the same? the sound doesnt bother me, its just deep and I work at 5am every morning and always wake up my neighbour and piss him off. I am using a falken carbon fiber style muffler, small and light. but noisy.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”