Drivers Window Wont go up!!!

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Mazderati

Drivers Window Wont go up!!!

Post by Mazderati »

This is bizarre. My drivers window will not go up. The other one will. I took off the door panel and I can hear a "click" in the window motor when I press the button for it. But it doesn't move! I've checked wiring and it seems fine. Could this be a shot window motor? The fact it does it on the drivers and works fine on the passenger seems to point to that .

Is there any way to manually put the window up? I try to move it and it wont budge.

Any feedback?
Thanks in advance.
:D :D :D
96 GS, 17" Niche's, Falken 40's. Eibach springs, Tokico S/R struts, Ractive front & rear strutbars. Supertrapp exhaust, K & N intake. Soundstream Reference, JL & Eclipse audio.

Green means "Go", Yellow means, "Go Faster"!!
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Likely your switch just went bad.. check out Grants website under "Info".. he has all kinds of wiring schematics.. you could jump the switch so to speak to see if the window will go up. Or run a couple of long hard wires from the motor to the battery (not recommended but would work) Switching polarity at the battery would make the window go up or down as long as the motor is good. Considering that apparently your motor worked to get the window rolled down.. eh.. my bet is that your switch went bad.. it seems to be a pretty common issue.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

If it is not the switch (which I agree is the most likely suspect) it might be that the window fell off the tracks when you rolled it down (make sure it doesn't hit your door speaker if it is aftermarket) (or the track may have rattled loose over the years and needs to be tightened up, if it is loose then the motor will push it sideways an bind the glass up)
If it is the motor email me, we (MOCA) have some for sale cheap.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
tw1st3d_cl0wn
Supporting Member

Post by tw1st3d_cl0wn »

When that happened to me, it was just the plastic switch that broke. Just got worn out or something. Electronicly, everything else was fine. I popped off the switch and used my pocket knife as my plastic switch until I could buy a new one. Looked pretty retarded though, I had to use the beer opener part, so people would think "Ehhh is she drinking and driving, she always has that beer opener with her in the car..."
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

:laugh: Sorry, occifer. Where are my manners.... would you like to have one too? :P
tw1st3d_cl0wn
Supporting Member

Post by tw1st3d_cl0wn »

:laugh: :2thumbsup:
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

Yea like mentioned already it is most likely the switch, it seems to be quite a common problem. Mine died a few years ago and I had to get a new one. Look around see if you can find one for sale or at a junk yard or something, the switch is very expensive from Mazda.
Mazderati

Post by Mazderati »

Ok, so the window motor gets really hot and there is an audible "click" in the motor when I press the button. So wouldn't this indicate that current is getting to the motor and the switch is not the problem?

I also priced a new power window motor thru Mazda and they want $450...*gag*. Think I'll be hitting the wreckers. Is this a generic part or can you get it thru anywhere else?

And...finally....does anyone know how I can put my window up in the meantime until I get this fixed???

Thanks in advance for the help

:lol: :lol: 8) 8)
96 GS, 17" Niche's, Falken 40's. Eibach springs, Tokico S/R struts, Ractive front & rear strutbars. Supertrapp exhaust, K & N intake. Soundstream Reference, JL & Eclipse audio.

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

If say it was the switch, but when mine went, i rewired a passenger side switch instead (door panel conversion for later) and kept blowing fuses everytime i shorted it out, when i was trying to figure out how the wiring worked, so it's probably the motor.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
cduBBz'915

Post by cduBBz'915 »

Like everyone else has been saying it's the switch. but if you want to get a new motor, hit up ebay. Thats how i got mine for like 80 bucks shipped.
blkmx3ze

Post by blkmx3ze »

had something similar happene to me, wasnt the switch still like that......
Mazderati

Post by Mazderati »

So in the end, it was the switch. I got lucky and found a wrecked 94 in Lacombe AB and they sold me the switch for 30 bucks. Works fine now.

Alot more fun driving in the rain with a window that goes up!

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

:D :D :D :lol: :lol: :

georog

Post by georog »

I have the same problem with the driver's window. It's the plastic lever which you push/pull. It will make the window go down but not up. I pried off the levers and switched the driver's side with passenger side. Now I can both raise and lower the driver's window but only lower the passenger window. It can be raised from the passenger side. I priced a new one at the dealer; $170! I am looking for an old one at a junk yard. Does anyone have an old one that one of the levers may still be good in?

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”