Loud engine...

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
happyclown

Loud engine...

Post by happyclown »

For the longest time i thought all tiny mazda motors did this. When I let the rmps drop, or idle, my car makes a pretty loud whine. I've only ever heard other mazdas do it, and they all had the tiny little motors. But from what i've been reading some people dont have that whine.

Does anyone know how to get rid of it? Or any tips and tricks to making the engine not so loud and annoying?

Thanks
1993 RS Teal
azazel95

Post by azazel95 »

Well I have a 95 rs and I never hear any whining except for driving in reverse (normal). Is it a whining like that?

Maybe check your belts. Also check your alt I have heard of them whining when they are getting ready to kick it.
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

i get a little wine under full throttle kinda sounds a bit like a supercharger not complaining thou easies way to quite down your engine is get a touring style muffler you know the ones for minivans and such that will keep your exhaust note down a fare bit also keep your stock air box just a cone filter will make it scream (a good sounding scream don't get me wrong) other than that you can get the under hood dynamat it applys to your underside of hood just like as if were a door panel
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Only whining I hear from my car is usually from my passengers ;) Ok bad joke.. Anyway..

Can you tell where the whine is originating from? Belts? Or is it something you are hearing from your speakers?

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

are you talking about when you down shift ?
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
93 323 Tranny, ACT clutch, Exhaust, cold air intake, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires NGK V-power platinum plugs,engine dress up,custom interior(almost done), GS front bumper, GS 5 spoke wheels Painted white.
Tonestire

Post by Tonestire »

I have the same noise on my 94' 1.6 when I rev and idle down. It's kind of hard to explain and sounds almost like a pump or belt. Perhaps its our water pumps???
---===Tonestire===---
1994 Mazda MX-3
happyclown

Post by happyclown »

my thought was something like the water pump, but then mine went bad and i had that and the timing belt replace... its not that.... :?

its not a 'cool' noise not the whine of the engine pulling air into the intake, and not the vroom out the exaust... its just stuff from the engine.... :wink:

My best guess is the alt... a while ago i had to tighten my belts cause one was squealing (not this noise) and i tightened the looser of the belts, but it was the wrong one. Then i tightened the alt belt (which was already really tight) and it stopped slipping. so... :idea:

It could be that my alt is seasing up and its really hard to spin it. But would that really cause a whine noise :?: I dont wanna buy a new one if it wount really help anything...
1993 RS Teal
azazel95

Post by azazel95 »

Well if your alt is seizing up you need to replace it regardless. Otherwise you will find yourself stuck somewhere with a dead battery (happened to me :oops: ).

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”