Question about rotor-to-hub attachment

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Robotaz

Question about rotor-to-hub attachment

Post by Robotaz »

Is there a screw that holds the front rotors onto the hubs like what holds the rear ones on?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

No there isnt. The front rotors are held in place by the lug nuts. The caliper & brake pads help to align it sort of.. but they are held on by the lug nuts.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

The rears are really held on the same way since most brake shops don't replace that screw and don't put the old one back on either. It is better to use them, but not 100% necesary.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

torque ur wheels properly or your rotors will warp, even if they are brembo's. Use a torquer wrench and NEVER EVER tighten lugnuts with a farkin impact wrench!

If you take ur car to a shop ever, don't let those a--holes tighten your lugnuts with one either! they will always do it unless you request them not to, and if they do it despite you asking, tell them to buy you new rotors since they basically fux0red yours by tightening them to 150 ft lbs!
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Oh Gro, that is total BS, 150 Ft Lbs is perfect, the impact wrench does the job in half the time, why not use one, don't tell people they can't when they most certainly can...

:lol:
JK, he is right, just messin around...
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

Pat, you are such a Smart a--. Pat is the biggest Tourque Spec Freak I know. I saw him tighten his gas cap with a tourque wrench once. :lol: jk
93 GS KLZE Straight Neck (Parked)
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
happyclown

Post by happyclown »

how bad is it if you use that lug remover thinger in the trunk to put on your wheels... I used something like that, i bounced on the end of it to tourque em down... is that bad?

Heres the funny part, i didnt bounce on the frount passenger lugs and they started to come loose and i could hear this repedative 'thud thud thud' before i tightened it... now my car seems to pull to the right...

that bad?

heh heh
1993 RS Teal
NOTHING

Post by NOTHING »

ive been workin on cars since i was a kid ive done hundreds of cars its my job and i personally have never warped a rotor using an impact wrench i dont even see how its possible i do know of people like guys at pepboys i think they have 2 use a torque wrench but i dont and prolly never will ive built bad a-- cars, ive worked with brembos willwoods and endless my rx7 has grams lights with endless brakes and u know what ive yet 2 warp em and that car i bang the crap outta those brakes when i use it 4 solo1 racing....so is it possible 2 warp a rotor maybe, is it definitely goin 2 happen nope
Shades

Post by Shades »

Using an impact gun to tighten them is a no-no... BUT some impact guns have a torque wrench built in.

The most damage you will do if you impact them is either crack the rotor or drum, or tighten the nuts so much that it's harder to get off the next time.

I think the torque spec on those nuts are 87 ft/lbs... correct me if I'm wrong.
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

well u can use torque sticks thewy are made to be used with an impact gun and stop at the certain torque its made for and they do work
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

ccreech wrote:I saw him tighten his gas cap with a tourque wrench once. :lol: jk
:laugh:
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”