Idle Problem(Revisited)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Robotaz

Idle Problem(Revisited)

Post by Robotaz »

My k8 idles too high with the air adjustment screw no longer adjustable. It gets worse, way worse, when the car sits in traffic and when i turn it off for just a few minutes and restart it(running errands). I tried to check the resistance on the idle air control valve, but my DMM seems to not like resistances so small. Is it probable that the IAC Valve is bad? It seems like it to me, but can't tell. Anyone have experience with it?
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: Idle Problem(Revisited)

Post by jschrauwen »

Robotaz wrote:My k8 idles too high with the air adjustment screw no longer adjustable. It gets worse, way worse, when the car sits in traffic and when i turn it off for just a few minutes and restart it(running errands). I tried to check the resistance on the idle air control valve, but my DMM seems to not like resistances so small. Is it probable that the IAC Valve is bad? It seems like it to me, but can't tell. Anyone have experience with it?
If it's still running too high and the air adj screw is turned in all the way then obviously there is still an adequate amount of air getting by to maintain that idle.
A serious cleaning of the TB sounds to be in order because air must be getting by the butterfly even when your at the close throttle position. I would remove and clean the idle air adj screw also as part of the cleaning process because that may be one of your major problems. Last time air filter changed????? Are you also running very rich????? Have you done a plug check?????? What is the state, condition and last time coolant was drained and flushed. What's your temp guage indicating??? Verify the amount of slack tension of the throttle cable cold vs hot and adjust accordingly.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”