hmm KLDE or KLZE

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
hgallegos915

hmm KLDE or KLZE

Post by hgallegos915 »

Ok ive been noticing that in some people the ze does not like to be messed with (as far as tweaking) Now ok I can get a klde for far cheap than a ze... would this be a wise choice? the reason being is that i can get the engine turboed for around 1200 including labor (bussy of mine) with intercooler and all that. Now a turbo ze is better? or a turbo de? they offered to turbo the k8 but well i dont think its worth doing that with its weak internals. From my understanding a de has stronger rods and so on?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

DE is better for turboing..i hear. but im turboing my ze..or plan too. not high boost..liek 3-5 . ZE has hihger compression, not well for hihg boostness.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

OMG, do not say that a higher compression is worse for a turbo!! Higher compresion is better b/c it can make more power on less boost, but the key is that it needs a more exact fuel/air mixture and a higher octane. For REAL answers check out Corky Bell's guide to turbo charging. It is the end all best book packed with way more information than you need to understand the concepts and mechanics of turboing. The book is well written and and starts you off easy and builds on the knowledge you learned from previous sections. It took me about a month to read and take notes and I would read it again before starting my turbo project. It will also guide you through the steps needed to decide how to turbo your car for what you want and what parts and options you have to get where you want. The DE and ZE need a rod upgrade for over 300 HP, other than that they are pretty close competitors aside from the compression.

No offence Anwawn, but don't post an answer unless you know what you are talking about. We don't want to spread misinformation.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

i said HIGH BOOST.....lots of people dont go through the time to do it right.

But yea get that book, its all you will ever need and more. Also theres a FAQ section for turboing the DE i think.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
n2oklze

Post by n2oklze »

Considering he's getting it done for $1,200, I'm sure it's not going to be a very good job. Get the KLZE if you can get ahold of some MIllenia S injectors, wideband o2 (such as AEM), and a Megasquirt kit (bulk buy on Probetalk coming very soon). Right there alone, just in fuel mods, is going to be about a thousand dollars. If you plan on cheaping out and using an FMU with stock injectors, I'd definitely stick with the KLDE. Guys have boosted KLZE's with just FMU's, but that gives you very little room to turn up the boost. If you get Megasquirt, the 280cc Millenia S injectors, and a wideband o2, you will be able to boost the engine safely until you snap a rod.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Go with a KLDE, rebuild it if you want to, forge the internals and boost
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I agree. I know a guy who has a boosted KLZE and it works fine and everything, but the boost is limted if you cannot tweak like a madman. The DE's compression can hold much more boost and if you get some forged internals your all good :D
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

why not just get a ze and use de pistons to lower compression, if thats doable?
MX-SLICK

Post by MX-SLICK »

im sure that would be impossible.....Sizes have to be exact...
94' MX3 GS atx
93 geo storm GSi
99' Ford ZX2 mtx
2001 honda CBR 600
2000 kawasaki kx 500 MX

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”