car is crapping out AGAIN

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Flashpoint2

car is crapping out AGAIN

Post by Flashpoint2 »

My car is now going buh-buh-baaa-buh-buh when i try to accelerate.. currently it only lasts until i hit about 1500-2k rpm, and then smooths out, but this has happened before, and it will get progressively worse until the car is basically undriveable. Last time i "fixed" the issue with a new set of plugs, but that was only a couple months ago, so there's no way the plugs need to be replaced again already.. is there? So anyway, this is my list of suspects..

1. Bad wires.. they are at 3.5 years old, they've been on the car since I got it.
2. Disty?
3. O2 sensors gone bad.. I'm pretty sure they are bad, because the car is running a little rich, and the air-fuel mixture seems to be at a default value. If i were able to pull them out and clean them up, might that fix the problem?
4. Gummed up plugs? If the car is running rich, is it possible that the plugs are being coated with unburnt crap and thats screwing up the rest of it?

HEEEEELLLLLLLPPPPPPPPP! :D

Unfortunately, I'm not really in a position to spend alot of $$ to fix this, so I'm between a rock and a hard place here.
1996 MX-3 RS - Sold.
2004 RX-8 GS - Yay!
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

check this out for sparkplug conditions
http://www.test-of-fire.com/Spark%20Plu ... itions.htm

But it sounds like ur running rich. Probably the O2 sensors, but could also be bad wires or bad connections on the wires.

So If you can't afford to do much.

I would get some electrolyte gel on the spark plug wires and make sure they clip in nice and tight.

I think I also saw a post of how someone cleaned there o2 sensors - but u might have to search for that.......

Good luck! :D
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
Flashpoint2

Post by Flashpoint2 »

Well, I'm gonna go replace the air filter, and clean up the TB a bit, and the disty, maybe pull the plugs out and clean them up a bit.. hopefully that will help me a bit. My air filter is more than 3 years old lol :oops:
1996 MX-3 RS - Sold.
2004 RX-8 GS - Yay!
ertaisi

Post by ertaisi »

Do a search for one of my posts awhile ago, I had a similar problem that was solved by new plug wires. I had changed plugs too, but the problem returned shortly after. I ended up deciding that I had gotten lucky with a solid connection when I switched the plugs, but the vibrations wiggled the connection over the next couple weeks.
'95 RS: RIP
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

Holy prison scandals Batman, this car's being abused! :shock: 3 years with out a clean air filter? I would be thrilled to see a photo of what a filter that old looks like, about an inch of dirt caked between the grooves? Your car is crying for some attention. In your shoes I would definatly do a full tune up: plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor and an AIR FILTER!!! lol...
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
Flashpoint2

Post by Flashpoint2 »

I'll take a pic of the filter and post it :D As for the plugs, they are brand new (2 months) and the wires, well, they might need to be changed. But keep in mind my car has only 110kms on it, so the wires *should* be fine. The disty cap was replaced when i got the car as far as i know, but I'm gonna pull it and clean it up anyway. Hopefully this will solve the problem!! Stupid Crappy Tire.. $40 for a Fram airfilter, cause they dont make a motomaster one :P what a crock.
1996 MX-3 RS - Sold.
2004 RX-8 GS - Yay!
Flashpoint2

Post by Flashpoint2 »

Ok, well i replaced the PCV valve, air filter (the old one was BLACK) pulled the plugs and cleaned them up (they're only 2 months old anyway), cleaned up the TB (incidentally, the car doesn't seem to run w/o the intake tube on the TB, odd).. and...... nothing.. problem persists. Grrrrrrrr.. so tomorrow I'm gonna see if I can get a new set of wires, and perhaps take the disty off and clean it up, see if that works.. This *really* sucks.. although I have noticed a much better throttle response :D Anyone else got any ideas? One other thing that I was considering doing was getting a motovac done.. has anyone had any experience with these?? I only know one person that has eve had one done, and it made an amazing difference. Any thoughts?
1996 MX-3 RS - Sold.
2004 RX-8 GS - Yay!
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Just out of curiosity.. did you check the gap when you pulled and inspected your spark plugs? New set of plug wires for certain.. especially if those are the factory originals. What year and or engine do you have? Your car wont run without the intake flex tube on because the VAF doesnt have anyway of knowing how much air is going into your engine basically.. your ECU thinks its a huge vacuum leak. My bet is on your plug wires.. but cleaning & adjusting your TB wouldnt hurt.. especially considering how long it has been since you replaced your air filter. I posted a 2 part how to on just that.. just down the page a little ways. Best of luck.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Flashpoint2

Post by Flashpoint2 »

Tomorrow, new wires are going on :D I must say, the air filter just never looked that bad.. until i looked on the underside of it :shock: Pics as soon as I figure out how to post em. Oh, BTW, anyone know how to tell when the PCV valve needs to be replaced? It's a moot point really, cause its done, but I'm still curious. Thanks for everyone's input, I will post results tomorrow.
1996 MX-3 RS - Sold.
2004 RX-8 GS - Yay!
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Pcv valve needs replacing before it gets all gunked up with oil deposits. You ck it by removing it and shaking it to see if the check-ball inside shakes freely. If not, then it's become clogged with oil-sludge and may not be allowing crankcase gases to escape - eliminating its functionality as a Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve.
Image -Jim
Flashpoint2

Post by Flashpoint2 »

Well, i replaced the wires, and it seemed to have smoothed out!.. the first couple seconds after i changed the wires it bogged, but not like it was, and then it just smoothed out, so I took it for a drive, going about 40kph in 5th, and no buh-buh-buh-buh-buh.. so i hope this worked, i'm outta money :)
1996 MX-3 RS - Sold.
2004 RX-8 GS - Yay!
Flashpoint2

Post by Flashpoint2 »

Sorry for bringing a dead topic back to the top, but someone wanted pics of a 3 year old air filter :D

1996 MX-3 RS - Sold.
2004 RX-8 GS - Yay!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”