Ks from your eunos/mx3 50L tank?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Estiee

Ks from your eunos/mx3 50L tank?

Post by Estiee »

My economy suks hard, from full tank i only mana ged to get 340Kms which is pethetic from a 50L tank.

Its half highway driving and half city, both driven at grandma style, no thrashing or hard take-ofs,

Any reasons as to why such poor economy? I use 98ron btw,
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I never, ever, filled the tank more than 40 liters...last week i drained it until the light came on, and I filled it with 37 liters, i did the same think this week, 34 liters
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

How many miles do you have on your O2 sensors? could be where you problem lies.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Zoso124 wrote:How many miles do you have on your O2 sensors? could be where you problem lies.
Is there a way to clean the O2's without compounding the problem?.....270,000km on the originals :shock:
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
kaze

Post by kaze »

same here man,

only got 345km out of 44liters of fuel... 95 Ron Caltex Vortex.

Not sure whats wrong, basically 100% city driving; maybe thats where the problem lies? Occasional gunning of the throttle, but most of the times very grandma. And i stick to the speed limit religiously, which is 50 - 60kph.

Are these figures normal for pure city driving?
from a 4AGE to a K8...
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

kaze wrote:same here man,
only got 345km out of 44liters of fuel... 95 Ron Caltex Vortex.
Not sure whats wrong, basically 100% city driving; maybe thats where the problem lies? Occasional gunning of the throttle, but most of the times very grandma. And i stick to the speed limit religiously, which is 50 - 60kph.
Are these figures normal for pure city driving?
Higher octane gas is not always going to compensate for the excessive carbon build-up that will occur in the exhaust and the cat. Having said that, you haven't mentioned a few key players. A dirty air filter will contribute to richer running aka lower gas mileage. When was the last time the VAF was cleaned out and for that matter, when was the TB cleaned out.....both are also key players here. What are the type, age and condition of the spark plugs? Let's re-visit this when you can give us an update on some of those variables.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
kaze

Post by kaze »

ah... i'll give the VAF and throtto body a check.

spark plugs + leads are brand new, air filter is in good and clean.

i''ll have to search up the manual or something on cleaning up the VAF and throtto body. :wink:
from a 4AGE to a K8...
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Post by MX-3 Money »

Now when you say you only get 340km to a tank, does that mean 340 until the low fuel light comes on? With my old k8 it would come on around there sometimes and I'd just keep driving until 500km. Then when I filled up the tank it was around 45L of gas. You light might just come on really early.
1993 MX-3 GS 5 spd, KL-ZE swap, kl31 ecu, 110 amp alternator, Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley, SSautocrome headers, High flow cat, Pacesetter high flow cat-back, B&M shortshifter, Clear Sigs/Sides.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I'd suggest a full head cleaning, they can run a liquid through that will loosen all the carbon build up and burn it off, then clean the O2 sensors and air filter and new plugs, I'd bet your gas lasts alot longer.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

before getting all pissed about how many km's you get to the tank...why not calculate the economy properly first?

divide your trip (in km's) by the # of gallons of liters you filled up at the statoin.

my trip odometer is reset every time i fill up. If it says 250.4 miles and I shoved 10 gallons in thats 250.4 / 10 = 25.04 mpg's.

thats how you properly calculate mileage.

Simply filling it up and saying "i got 250.3 to the tank! thats shitty!" is retarded. that means you aren't even factoring in the remaining 3.2 gallons of the tank.

Sediment/rust and other crap like water coudl build up in the tank reducing its overall capacity. I emptied my tank this winter and noticed I could drive from 250ish miles on a tank (before light comes on) to about 280 miles. Made a good diff.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”