To convert to Civic or not?

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
MX3-Freak

To convert to Civic or not?

Post by MX3-Freak »

I just drove my car into a ditch last sunday, so I have to replace a few front end parts. One of these includes a drivers side headlight. However, what I've found is that for about the price of one mx headlight, I should be able to spend about $30-$40 more and just get a pair of the honda projectors off ebay. SO, I'm wondering how much risk there would be in trying the civic projectors? Remember, that there is no way for me to tell whether or not the sheet metal under the fender/bumper is twisted. It all looks right, but a 1/4" could make the difference for these lights. Basically, I need to know the difficulty level of this conversion. And yes, I did search, and some said it was easy while some said it was a b*tch. . . but how much experience do they have in body working? Thanks.
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Since your car is black, it would look sweet with Civic projectors, go for it but $60 bucks for Civic projectors sounds a little too cheap

You can make your own projectors however, try customizing your stock ones
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

I have considered putting hella 90mm in the orginal housings before. However, now my drivers headlight is dead (the housing looks like a sledge hammer hit it). So I have the choice to buy one mx-3 headlight, or the civics'. The civic lights will come out to about $100 if I buy them, not $60. I realize that they arn't Hella, Bosch, Philips, etc, (in other words, they aren't oem quality), but apparently they've held up for over a year fine in our cars, so that shouldn't be to much of an issue. Thanks though.
Car Meanins:
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

i've got some projectors coming in, so i'd be willing to part with my stock headlights for cheap, if you can hang on for a bit. they are pretty yellow tho, in need of buffing
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

It depends on how lond they will be there. If they are in by the next two weeks, I'll take em. Doesn't matter how yellow; I'm prepared to buff.
Car Meanins:
Taras

Post by Taras »

Depending on a price of your stockers I am Interested as well. Mx-3 Freak, hope this intrusion is not a problem.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

ninjajim4 wrote:i've got some projectors coming in, so i'd be willing to part with my stock headlights for cheap, if you can hang on for a bit. they are pretty yellow tho, in need of buffing
Jim, forgot to mention...pm sent around 2:00pm this afternoon.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

MX3-Freak wrote:It depends on how lond they will be there. If they are in by the next two weeks, I'll take em. Doesn't matter how yellow; I'm prepared to buff.
hmmm... someone is doing the work for me, so i'm not too comfortable giving you a timeframe as i don't know myself. 2 wks is possible, but i could see it being 3 or 4 perhaps too. if i get em sooner, i'll let ya know.

either way its pretty much up to you, and i'll continue to consider you as first dibs.
ertaisi

Post by ertaisi »

I'm done with my projector swap, except for proper wiring and possibly some adjusting of my driver side housing. My mechanic/body skills are rudimentary at best (they don't go back much farther than my forum registration date) and it took me a lot longer than I expected, but the end result is something I'm proud of. I notice little things about them that I don't like that no one else notices, but that comes with any solo project, right?

Before the swap, I'd had my frame straightened from a close encounter and my passenger-side dimensions were about 1/8" off the driver's side in places. It did make a difference in fitting each side, the projectors are a lot larger than you may expect and it's an extremely tight fit in there (the projectors are roughly 2 inches larger in every dimension than our stocks).

If you want the look, go for it. Other than retro-fitting, it's still the only feasible option I think exists.
'95 RS: RIP
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

Thanks for the opinion ertaisi. However, I think that I've decided to just go stock for now; to much going on to worry about fitting in another car's lights.

Nija, I guess I'll just continue looking until yours are there. If nothing comes up, I'll probably buy them.

As for Taras, I don't know how you could have done such a thing? Need the same part as me? Horrible. JK lol. I don't care. But, if I may ask, what do you need them for; your lights are one of the best on mx-3.com? :shock:
Car Meanins:
ertaisi

Post by ertaisi »

Heh, the king's gotta stay on top.
'95 RS: RIP
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Ill be selling ym projectors soon fitted for mx3..you need to clean the up they got dust uinsede because I didnt seal them from the bottom... this would be until i make myself another set.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”