What flywheel should I go for my 5speed project

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Juans_93_MX3

What flywheel should I go for my 5speed project

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

What is the best flywheel to go for?
Chunchoy14, the guy who made the FAQ on converting to 5 speed went with the 9LBS Fidanza Flywheel instead of the KL03 23LBS flywheel
What other choices do I have?
What would be the best flywheel?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

the K8 flywheel is the best all around, cheap and light, something like 14lbs.
MX3newbie77
Supporting Member

Post by MX3newbie77 »

IIRC, Clutchmasters makes a 7 lb. Flywheel. That would really start to sacrifice daily drivability though. You can also use your 13 lb. MX-3 flywheel. That what most of the Probe guys seem to do. However, I remember seeing something though that said the Fidanza flywheel is the same as getting rid of 27X lbs. in first gear. That should be a good .1 second in the quarter mile and it will give you that cool sport bike rev :wink: . Best bang for the buck I think.
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

I LOVE... repeat.. LOVE my fidanza flywheel. :D
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

I don't really think that the Fidanza gives your money worth. If you do alot of stop and go driving then I would go with the stock fw for sure.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I hear the MX3 flywheel is the best?
Also, since I happen to know a little about flywheels,
the lighter they are the more likely you are to spin your tires in 1st or 2nd gear right?
Should I go for a heavy flywheel then? Because within 2 years I plan to have atleast 240whp and for sure, traction during 1st and 2nd will be a problem

What do you guys think?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
RaverChankoMX3

Post by RaverChankoMX3 »

First off, I'm pretty positive the MX-3 flywheel weighs close to 16-lbs. Not 13, 14, or 18-lbs. Furthermore, I believe people have "shaved" the mx-3 FW from 16 to 13-lbs.

Why have Lightened flywheels? Well, most people want a faster revving car. When accelerating the car's engine, it has to move total mass of the car and the internal components associated with it. Basically, the idea goes that the lighter the flywheel, the more power available to push X,Y,Z. The lighter rotating mass at the crank, the faster accel/decel; however, heavier FWs cause the opposite (obviously) and are more friendly to drive (on the streets as Zoso was speaking about earlier)
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I wouldnt recommend lightning the stock flywheel, i've heard those who've tried have had them break
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
RaverChankoMX3

Post by RaverChankoMX3 »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:I wouldnt recommend lightning the stock flywheel, i've heard those who've tried have had them break
Ditto.

Hey Nd4, when are you going back to the 1/4mi. I'd like to see you closer to 14sec :D Didn't you have power or traction issues when you went?
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

BAH!

Using my shipping scale I weighed my K8 flywheel back in january with its pilot bearing installed.

16 lbs 9 oz.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
RaverChankoMX3

Post by RaverChankoMX3 »

Gro Harlem wrote:BAH!

Using my shipping scale I weighed my K8 flywheel back in january with its pilot bearing installed.

16 lbs 9 oz.
HAH 16-lbs like I said, booya suckas :P
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

RaverChankoMX3 wrote:Hey Nd4, when are you going back to the 1/4mi. I'd like to see you closer to 14sec :D Didn't you have power or traction issues when you went?
Soon, real soon. I wanted to go tomorrow but there's an Mx-3 meet in Niagara and a few guys wanna see my CarPC setup, but next Friday, where the weathe is nice and I don't have plans, I'm definitely going.

Ya, I wasn't running optimally. I was getting insane wheelhop, plus I was running season tires :? Original stock suspension was on (alot of weight transfter to the back) and my 3rd gear would grind going into it at WOT (it would take me about a full second to be able shift into 3rd), but I think that's been solved with new SRD bushings, but I haven't tested that completely. With those, along with the headers, new 02 sensors, test pipe and CAI, I should see some modest improvements. After the CAI, i noticed an improvement, not in speed, I don't have an efficient butt dyno, but in the engine, it used to feel like it was sufficating after ~5k, the CAI brought that feeling up to ~6.5k, but with the new headers and test pipe, I don't feel that anymore, so I think the engine's breathing alot better now.

I'm hoping for some nice times this year, I just truely hope that that 3rd gear issue is resolved....when i went racing the one time last year, I was up against a turbo 240sx, and I had him until i went to shift into 3rd, and he pulled a 14.6, so I'm expecting too see low 14's this year, but I'll need some practice too ;)
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

Gro Harlem wrote:BAH!

16 lbs 9 oz.
\

Mine weighed in at 17 lbs. 2 oz. when I weighed it on my shipping scale when I sold it on ebay. Guess Mine had a bit more meat left on it.
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

ya i weighed mine after it was resurfaced
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

bmwm3guy wrote:I LOVE... repeat.. LOVE my fidanza flywheel. :D
Amen. DEFINITELY money well spent. Unless you're an old lady, daily driving is no problem. Makes a huge diff in low gear accel - excellent for quick shifting. DO NOT lighten the stock flywheel. They in ENGINEERED to heat/stress tolerances. Babyblue's 13lbs flywheel shattered.
GS-R SE
Fixin's

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”