Tires

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Ateana

Tires

Post by Ateana »

ok I just did the BP swap... now im still using the honeycombers (Iknow sad) but i noticed my tires squeel when taking turns even at low speeds is that tire inflation or is my alignment out... keep in mind the suspension was not touched right now my tires are at 35 psi on the front 32 on the rear.
Management is not responsible for lost or stolen virginities.

White 94 Mx-3 BP
Black 93 Mx-3 Kl-De
ertaisi

Post by ertaisi »

What tires do you have? It'd either be the tires themselves being too hard of a compound which squeals easier or the air pressure.
'95 RS: RIP
Ateana

Post by Ateana »

ahh well they have been sitting for awhile... i need new rims and rubber any ways lol

White 94 Mx-3 BP
Black 93 Mx-3 Kl-De
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

If your tires are squealing during low speed turns it could very well be your alignment. I dont think the swap would affect the Toe part of the alignment.. but if the engine/trans is heavier.. it could affect the Camber (or may I have that reversed.. I always get them mixed up LOL)

Center your steering wheel straight forward and then look at your wheels.. are they both pointed straight forward? They should look like this (From a top view)

| |

Now if they look like one of the following.. definately get it aligned.

| / or \ | or the worst \ / This last one usually happens if the center link goes bad. Hope this helps.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Ateana

Post by Ateana »

nah it looks more like / \

White 94 Mx-3 BP
Black 93 Mx-3 Kl-De
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Thats not good either.. figures you would find it to be the one combination that I didnt put up LOL Anything other than | | requires an alignment.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

Ateana

Post by Ateana »

it would seem i have a negative camber problem... i did replace the lower ball joints and the driveshafts.. so i guess an alignment is what i need. however after reading the proceedure for adjusting camber.. is there any way to do this myself possibly with a laser lever?

White 94 Mx-3 BP
Black 93 Mx-3 Kl-De
ertaisi

Post by ertaisi »

You could probably get close, but I wouldn't recommend it. The machine they use to align it is extremely precise, measuring down to fractions of a degree.
'95 RS: RIP
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Not that I am aware of.. however.. if you want to be able to do you own alignments, not a bad idea by any means especially if you plan to do different suspension setups for racing and such, you can always check into getting something like this

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=92749

Though you will probably find these a bit more affordable ;)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=45742

Hope this helps

Tunes67

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”