Sticky Gas Flap Release

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Gfresh

Sticky Gas Flap Release

Post by Gfresh »

Has anyone had a problem with their gas flap release? My lever is really hard to pull and doesn't open the flap very smootly and i have to push the lever back down in order to close the flap as well. If i try to shut the flap with my hand before pressing the lever back down it won't close?

Any suggestions?
Green Machine --1994 MX-3 GS 5-spd-- HEI Ignition Modded
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

For same prob, I used a spray can of white lithium grease to lube'd the fuel door hinges and both ends of the release cable. Then worked in by operating the cable release 3-4 times. Been fine the past 1+ years since then. You can buy a spray can of white lith grease at just about any autoparts place (or maybe even a hardware store?)
Image -Jim
beacbum

Post by beacbum »

I have the exact same problem. Its not a big deal, but it would be nice if it was a little smoother. I havent really taken a look at it yet though.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

One thing to stay away from IMO is WD-40 or anything similar for this one. WD has its uses but is a petroleum distillant. It might help for awhile but it will also dissolve any petroleum based lube already in the cable sheath and eventually could make the prob return, only worse. Then any residue of WD-40 still in the cable sheath will breakdown a followup application of grease. just my .02.

To any WD-lovers out there, not knockin WD tho, lol. I believe that with just the essentials of a good supply of WD40 + Peanut Butter + Duct Tape, ya could survive a long time stranded on a desert island.
Image -Jim

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”