"HOLD" warning light

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
pooh431bear

"HOLD" warning light

Post by pooh431bear »

Has anyone had a problem with the "Hold" warning light coming on and off randomly? (92-Automatic) Maybe I am imagining things but it seems that when that light comes on, it sometimes will make my car jump, like I totally jumped on the gas.

I dont know...any info would help.

Thanks!
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Issues like this are precursors to ATX failure. You should get your car off the road ASAP before the trans craps out on you altogether. At the very least.. take it to either Mazda or a transmission shop and have it diagnosed.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

ya mine for the past month it had been coming on and off randomly, until one day it started flashing for about a minute. the next day the transmission was toast. i hope for you thats not the case though.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
neverenuff
Supporting Member

Post by neverenuff »

This is a very common prob. the cheap way to try and fix befor you know for sure that the trase will be toast is, and this worked for me when I had my RS so change the tras fluid and filter. If the light stops blinking then hey your set but if it doesnt well trans is on its way out.
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

If the hold light starts flashing it is likely already too late, the damage to transmission is already done, it will fail quickly after it first starts appearing.
neverenuff
Supporting Member

Post by neverenuff »

Andrew_Pakula wrote:If the hold light starts flashing it is likely already too late, the damage to transmission is already done, it will fail quickly after it first starts appearing.
Not completly true. When I had my old RS after changing fluid and filter light went and stayed off.
Kuromu

Post by Kuromu »

You know, maybe it is just me, but after reading the original post a couple times it sounds like pooh431bear might not know about the 'hold' feature of the ATX and if they hit the button on the shifter accidentally and it is activating, it would cause the car to drop into a lower gear and make it surge like they are describing.
93 MX3 RS BP 2.0 // 87 RX7 HKS Turbo
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

neverenuff wrote:
Andrew_Pakula wrote:If the hold light starts flashing it is likely already too late, the damage to transmission is already done, it will fail quickly after it first starts appearing.
Not completly true. When I had my old RS after changing fluid and filter light went and stayed off.
That is true as well, sometimes the light can come on after changing the tranny fluid but usually in those cases the light will flash only for a second or so and go away, usually only within a few days of changing it.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Kuromu wrote:You know, maybe it is just me, but after reading the original post a couple times it sounds like pooh431bear might not know about the 'hold' feature of the ATX and if they hit the button on the shifter accidentally and it is activating, it would cause the car to drop into a lower gear and make it surge like they are describing.
hmmmm... that would be possible, and also interesting (at least to me) because I thought stuff like that only happened to me lol. :confused2:
Image -Jim
Kuromu

Post by Kuromu »

Yeah, the first thing I did when I got my ATX was play with buttons and after about half an hour of playing, I decided it best to read the manual. That 'hold' button had me stumped for a bit.

No matter as there is a nice short shifter popping up through my console now! w00t!
dave1970p

Post by dave1970p »

if you did a atx to mtx swap how do you get the light to go off.
Kuromu

Post by Kuromu »

The 'hold' light comes on when you hit the 'hold' button on the ATX shifter. The hold mode is like turning the ATX into a makeshift MTX, sort of. Nowhere near as good, but that is what it does. It allows you to shift up through the first three gears manual starting at the bottom of the shifter with L=1st, S=2nd, and D=3rd (but if you go from a stop it will hop thru 1st and 2nd then stay in 3rd).

After converting to manual, of course, this element of the ATX is removed and the light is disconnected.
MX-SLICK

Post by MX-SLICK »

Have the fluid changed, and go from there. You should change the fluid offen in an automatic transmission because they dont seem to last long if you let it go. But it is very important you get this done ASAP....no quick runs to the store no putting it off. If you do you will regret it when your confronted with a 1,500 bill for tranny rebuild.
94' MX3 GS atx
93 geo storm GSi
99' Ford ZX2 mtx
2001 honda CBR 600
2000 kawasaki kx 500 MX
MX-SLICK

Post by MX-SLICK »

oh ya and make sure your not accidentally pufhing the hold button on the shifter, lol.
94' MX3 GS atx
93 geo storm GSi
99' Ford ZX2 mtx
2001 honda CBR 600
2000 kawasaki kx 500 MX
Kuromu

Post by Kuromu »

Yeah, my ATX was getting a little sloppy. So, when my engine crapped out and I decided to go ahead with the BP swap, I decided it was MTX time as well.

My neighbor today asked me why I put all of this work into the car. "It sure seems to eat up a lot of money."

In reality, I managed to swap in a bigger engine and better transmission for just a little more than I would have paid the shop just to fix my head issues. Yeah, it took some time I really did not have to lose, but I am so happy with the results.

Viva la MX-3!!!

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”