Clunky Click Sound

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
psneddon

Clunky Click Sound

Post by psneddon »

Over the past few months I have a strange sound sort of a clunky click sound coming from somewhere under the engine/gearbox/shifter area.

It doesnt happen all the time and doesnt seem to be getting any worse. It sometimes happens when I accelerate, sometimes when I brake, sometime when I change gear, or sometime when I'm turning. In a 14mile journey it maybe happens 4 or 5 times. I can sort of feel it slightly though the pedals.

The other thing to note is that I had the back to sections of the exhaust replaced last year, passengers in the rear say they can feel it hitting off the floor and also I can hear a rattling when I drive past a wall or something which deflects the sound.

Any ideas?

Paul
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

your tranny mount or rear engine mount is probably cracked and not holding very well.
Also make sure to check teh tranny fluid and oil levels as that can cause excess vibration through the pedals.
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
psneddon

Post by psneddon »

:( Thanks for the reply - If it is the mounts then is it expensive to fix and is it an urgent problem?

I replaced my tranny fluid last year, although I did forget to put the washer back on and there is some oil around the drain plug although I never see any on the ground so I assume its not leaking too bad.

Paul
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

The oil dsituation should be ok...IF the bushings are shot replacing them could be a hassle....unless you do it yourself. And no, it shouldn't be that much of a big deal if they are slightly worn out. If they are badly worn you may want to get them replaced.
psneddon

Post by psneddon »

Whats the best way to check the mounts? Just visually? I just had a look at the mazda prices and they are not cheap!
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

Get Mazdaspeed.
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

yeah if they need to be replaced then get MazdaSpeed from CorkSport, they cost just a few more dollars and you get more performance for the money. To check them you can climb under the car and look at them or use a pry bar to move the motor while looking at them. If they are torn (which is what worn out means) then you'll most likely see the tears when you move the motor with the pry bar. Move the motor front to back as this is how the motor flexes when you accelerate.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”