Shifter Bushings

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ManiacMx3

Shifter Bushings

Post by ManiacMx3 »

Alright guys i am not too familiar with anything to do with my shift linkages in my car and i just bought the bronz oil shifter bushings i have the one set in that goes in the actual short shifter and now i need to know where i need to put the second set in at. Let me know then guys. thanks
georgechicken

Post by georgechicken »

the 2nd set goes at the end of the shift rod, where it connects to the transmission. your shifter will thank you. Good stuff.

Daniel
--Maybe the Hippopotamus was just a really cool Apotamus.--
kkyin

Post by kkyin »

do i need to get under the car to do it?
georgechicken

Post by georgechicken »

That's the easiest way. In theory, you could get one pair from inside by tearing out the center console, dropping the shifter, and becoming rubberman and contorting yourself about 20 different ways. But if you go the popular route and just get under the car, this job can be done EASILY in under an hour, given that you have the right tools handy and aren't dealing with heavily rusted parts. I could swap mine out in 15 minutes, but I've done this a million times and my bolts are all easy to break since I frequently lube and remove them in my line of work... DO liberally use some WD-40, or other lube/penetrating oil. DO NOT even think of trying to use SAE size wrenches, you'll round off those bolts faster than Barry Clark would lose a race. :lol: Fear not though, it's simple enough. Just make sure that you properly lift and support your car (see: JACKSTANDS) and protective eyewear is always a good idea. If you don't know why, then wait for my upcoming book entitled "Daniel's Laws of Auto Mechanics". Law number 1 or 2 is "If you're under it looking up, the crap on it WILL fall in your eyes." :) Good luck!

Daniel
--Maybe the Hippopotamus was just a really cool Apotamus.--
synap
Supporting Member

Post by synap »

Question about the bolt that holds these bushings on to the shifter. The bolt on mine is really rusted and with my luck it may break. Can I just a regular bolt or is it a special bolt needed? Will the 3rd link bolt fit there if is get two? If you get the 4 bushings and the 3rd link, will you end up with 2 extra bushing?
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

synap wrote:Question about the bolt that holds these bushings on to the shifter. The bolt on mine is really rusted and with my luck it may break. Can I just a regular bolt or is it a special bolt needed? Will the 3rd link bolt fit there if is get two? If you get the 4 bushings and the 3rd link, will you end up with 2 extra bushing?
Should not have any bushings extra. I know the instructions aren't the greatest. The 4 bushings for the shifter go with 2 at the bottom of the gear lever and the other 2 at the far end of the rod at the transmission. That bolt at the transmission is actually has a rivet head shape to it which butts up against a stopper plate to keep from moving when tightening. The third link's bolt is an identical type and size bolt to the one that's closest to the transmission. That one replaces the rivetted bolt that HAS to be ground down to remove. What you'll end up with is 2 identical bolts on the transmission end. Neither of those bolts are the same size as the bolt at the bottom of the gear lever. If using both kits you'll use all 6 bushings.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
kkyin

Post by kkyin »

so there are 3 pairs of bushings?
one that at the shift lever (18 on page J2-054)
one that at the control rod (11 on page J2-054)
Where's the third?
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

kkyin wrote:so there are 3 pairs of bushings?
one that at the shift lever (18 on page J2-054)
one that at the control rod (11 on page J2-054)
Where's the third?
Let's say that you've already done the first mod that came with the 4 bushings like you've indicated above.
Now again go to the control rod near the transmission. The other bolt that is there that needs to have the rivet head ground off to fit the next 2 bushings along with the NEW bolt and nut that is part of the "3rd link" mod.
In total 6 bushiungs.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

2 Days later and I finally get the 4 shifter bushings in, the 3rd link bushings and bolt in and the shifter extension rod mod is also done. 2 days flat on my back with 18" space to work in....I'm going to be paying for this for a few days now....LOL. The shifter extension rod mod was a real PITA. I won't go into details but if a shop had to put them in it would have cost me dearly. The shifter bushings on the other hand were quite easy to do. The shifter is much tighter now, no slack, no flopping around and surprisingly not alot of vibration coming through as was advised and expected. It has however aggravated my shifting into 3rd gear. I find it very difficult to get a smooth shift from 2nd to 3rd. All the other gears are fine. Even changed the tranny fluid with royal purple 2 months ago and still that annoying 3rd gear problem.

Not to jack the thread since it's been pretty quiet for a while, but are there others that experience upshifting problems into 3rd gear? BTW, had a new clutch hose installed a year ago and the cluth lines bled twice.
Cosmas

Post by Cosmas »

Hey, just outta curiosity, are you talking about a kit you got from Mazda directly .. or something aftermarket?
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Cosmas wrote:Hey, just outta curiosity, are you talking about a kit you got from Mazda directly .. or something aftermarket?
SRD Bronzoil Bushings. Link is on MX-3.com homepage.
kkyin

Post by kkyin »

would driving with a bad bushing hurt the shift/control rod?
if I wanna change it, where is a good place to buy one?
verzutiko
Supporting Member

Post by verzutiko »

http://www.srdperformance.com is a very good place to start. Performance parts by enthusiasts! :D
'92 GS
My worklog
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

i just used oem bushings i got at my local dealer and the difference is like night and day from what it was before. They cost me like 8 bux for them.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”