Rebuild

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ManiacMx3

Rebuild

Post by ManiacMx3 »

Alright guys as i get more information on the klze i am finding that it is less hp and torque then what i had read. So now i need to know what your guys opinion is. I was going to go pick up this engine tomorrow as in 5/13, but now im wondering if i should just rebuild the one i have which is already the swapped probe gt engine. I have 145,000 miles on it and i am wondering if i could rebuild it for around $3,000 or if it isn't even worth it and just get the new engine to start over fresh. let me know asap because tomorrow is coming fast thanks guys.
georgechicken

Post by georgechicken »

Man, if you're looking to spend $3000, then send it my way :) For that, you should be spitting out about 250whp :)

You can get a 2.5 for a couple hundred, and a COMPLETE rebuild kit (pistons included), and have the engine properly machiined (in other words, having a DAMN NEAR BRAND NEW motor), all for under $1000. Buy the parts, send them here, and I'll even build it for you for cheap... I know that here in Nashville, there are a handful of used 2.5's for under $350 each... a 1.8 rebuild kit can be had for under $700, and the 2.5 kit for under $600.

Daniel
--Maybe the Hippopotamus was just a really cool Apotamus.--
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

I take it thats $600US Daniel ????
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
georgechicken

Post by georgechicken »

Yes, I'm sorry.. I keep forgetting that a good portion of the userbase here arent fellow Americans.. :) I just did a quick search, and at this site:

http://www.rpmmachine.com/fr_index.html ... tmenu.html

They list a complete rebuild kit for the KL-DE, including pistons (no extra charge for .020 or .040 oversize) for just shy of $600 USD, and the same kit without the oil pump for just shy of $500 USD.

Daniel
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

No worries Daneil, Im making a trip upto the states
and Canada this month and are pricing a lot of parts
up for obvisious reason's....

Cheers Matt..
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
ManiacMx3

Post by ManiacMx3 »

Ok well i already have the 2.5 probe so that is not a problem. Now how exactly would i be putting 350 whp down with only 3 g's if you wanna run me through that that would be awesome because i am really not too familiar with what the best bolt ons and best hp gains i can get if i do the rebuild.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

The reubuild kit with the pistons is dumb unless you need to rebore your cylinders. Have the cylinder bores measured when you pull the pistons. If they're still within stock spec, I'd just reuse the old pistons. Pistons don't really go bad as long as they don't have damage from detonation from like running the car with no coolant for a while.

And 350WHP? That'd be tricky at $3500 unless you know how to tune boost yourself. But you could get yourself at least 250 WHP if you bought the supercharger kit available. You'd probably need to dyno tune it and bigger injectors and stand alone fuel management to get to 350WHP.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

georgechicken wrote:Man, if you're looking to spend $3000, then send it my way :) For that, you should be spitting out about 250whp :)

You can get a 2.5 for a couple hundred, and a COMPLETE rebuild kit (pistons included), and have the engine properly machiined (in other words, having a DAMN NEAR BRAND NEW motor), all for under $1000. Buy the parts, send them here, and I'll even build it for you for cheap... I know that here in Nashville, there are a handful of used 2.5's for under $350 each... a 1.8 rebuild kit can be had for under $700, and the 2.5 kit for under $600.

Daniel
So your telling us that by spending under $1000 (US) we can not only have new and better internals but 250whp all on a KLDE? It can handle a turbo thought, right?
Sounds too good to be true. I am betting 200whp but not 250whp unless you can prove me wrong? (DYNO SHEET)

Do you know anything about rebuild kits for the K8 (power gains) ?

One more question
If supposebly, we get 250whp from a rebuild kit for the KLDE that costs less than $1000k, than why is it that rebuilding stock internals for a KLZE costs like $3000?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Juans_93_MX3 wrote:
georgechicken wrote:Man, if you're looking to spend $3000, then send it my way :) For that, you should be spitting out about 250whp :)

Daniel
So your telling us that by spending under $1000 (US) we can not only have new and better internals but 250whp all on a KLDE?
Who said anything about better internals?
ManiacMx3

Post by ManiacMx3 »

Ok guys we are getting off topic a little haha. i need to know what you think i can get out of a rebuild and i don't see 250 happening out of a rebuild. I def am doing it because i have over 170,000 miles so i need it. Let me know without supercharging or a turbo what you think i should do. I need to know asap because i have to get this started, By the way probably $700 of it is going to be going towards a transmission rebuild also. So let me know guys i need hp gains and a rebuild hit me up.
georgechicken

Post by georgechicken »

Holy $hit! I've seen my post quoted several times now, immediately followed by stuff I absolutely did not say... thats funny :) read it again... I said for $3000 (US, mind you.. sorry I didnt mention that), you should be able to put out 250 (not 350) whp... I never said that by a rebuild alone that 250 was to be achieved...

And the rebore? Well, If the cylinders are ALL well within spec, and the pistons are all in prime shape, then of course I see no need to replace or rebore. But, with a couple of hundred thousand miles on the clock, it's a better than fair chance that you'll find something out of spec there.. The machine work isnt awfully expensive, and for the cost of that plus the pistons (which add like $100 to the kit), you're buying an assload of peace of mind. It wouldnt be terribly hard to measure the wear of each cylinder and still miss a place where it is out of round or overbored beyond spec. As long as you find a competant machine shop with good equipment, then why not just KNOW it's right? Plus, some folks may like the idea of adding a couple of cc's displacement to their motors. :) a .030" overbore should give you an extra 45cc's (.045 liter) total displacement FROM THE 2.5 liter KL-DE... hardly anything great, but to some people, every little bit helps...

To answer the latest question by ManiacMX3, a complete, proper rebuild should bring you to within 5% (+/-) of the engine's original power, as long as EVERYTHING is within spec, and all carbon deposits, etc, are removed and cleaned (that's what I mean by complete and proper). There are still a million variables, but none that should be serious enough to cause big problems...

and 250whp for $3000? Well, some of us are more resourceful than others, but since I do all of my own work, I have the benefit of saving the labor $$ and applying that to parts. If you dont have that luxury, then you'll be hard pressed to do this.... for $3000, I could build a turbo or supercharger system, add a standalone engine management system, get rid of the VAF in favor of MAF and pump up my fuel capabilities... or I could just be silly and slap a 13b or big american pushrod motor in... I try to stay sane... right now, I'm looking at the Ford Taurus SHO v8, Developed jointly by Ford and Yamaha as a variant of the Duratec motors... :) sure it can be done... I just havent proven it without hitting the 'silly' line yet... :)

Daniel
J0HN_R1

Post by J0HN_R1 »

:shock: A "235 hp 3.4 litter V8" in an MX-3...?

Say it aint so George, say it aint so...

:twisted:
When this thing hits 88mph, you're gonna see some serious TIHS...!
georgechicken

Post by georgechicken »

I can't seem to get consistant finds on the power rating of the 3.4 v8... I've seen everywhere from 230hp to 275hp... And the way it looks is that a simple cam upgrade does wonders for this motor... that and it's surge tank/intake manifold is just DAMN COOL looking :) I encourage everyone to look at http://www.v8sho.com or http://www.shoclub.com .... neet stuff...

Well, given the low supply of these motors, I'm sure it'll be a bit pricey to acquire one of these motors... But hell, if I can make it work without killing myself, then it'll be worth it... betcha nobody else has a transverse V8 in their mx-3.. :) not that i really care, but it would just be damn cool. :)

oh... ok.. fine... 'it ain't so'... happy? :) but i'm still going to look into doing it.. :twisted:

daniel
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

georgechicken wrote:I can't seem to get consistant finds on the power rating of the 3.4 v8... I've seen everywhere from 230hp to 275hp... And the way it looks is that a simple cam upgrade does wonders for this motor... that and it's surge tank/intake manifold is just DAMN COOL looking :) I encourage everyone to look at http://www.v8sho.com or http://www.shoclub.com .... neet stuff...

Well, given the low supply of these motors, I'm sure it'll be a bit pricey to acquire one of these motors... But hell, if I can make it work without killing myself, then it'll be worth it... betcha nobody else has a transverse V8 in their mx-3.. :) not that i really care, but it would just be damn cool. :)

oh... ok.. fine... 'it ain't so'... happy? :) but i'm still going to look into doing it.. :twisted:

daniel
Wow, pretty small engine displacement for a V8. Not only that, its a FWD V8...
The real question is, would it fit?
Depending on the price I would defiantly look into a project like this
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

you can get a smaller v8 then that from old cadillac engines.
cant remember the size something like iether 2.5 or 3.0 v8
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”