Window polishing

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
RaspMetalicMX3SE

Window polishing

Post by RaspMetalicMX3SE »

My windows apear to be dirty even after they have just been cleaned . I have heard of using very fine steel wool (#0000) to polish them has anyone done this ? can give me any pointers such as should it be dry, wet, lightg pressure, heavier pressure so on and so forth. thanx
RaspMetalicMX3SE

Post by RaspMetalicMX3SE »

not sure why nothing showed up but my thread was:
My windows always looked dirty even if they are just cleaned. i have heard that you cna use a very fine steel wool (#0000) to polish them um and give um some shine. anyone try it and if so is there any method to this wet, dry, light pressure, heavier pressure ect. thanx
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I wouldnt use steel wool.. that will scratch the glass.. There are two products that I know work. One works awesome.. one requires a lot of elbow grease.. but does work.

C.L.R. - Calcium Lime Rust remover.. available at any hardware store and usually at drug stores as well.. this stuff works awesome.. wear rubber gloves and DONT get any on your paint.. use a sponge moistened with it and just wipe your glass.

No Touch Hard Water Spot remover - This stuff worked.. its what I tried at first.. I polished with this stuff for an hour before my neighbor came over with the C.L.R. and made me look and feel like a complete moron. LOL

Tunes67
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

CLR is great stuff. I usually grab a bottle @Home Depot.
Image -Jim
johnboi85

Post by johnboi85 »

i use mx-7 to polish my windows. great stuff. works on chrome glass and stainless steel.
bp mx-3
ertaisi

Post by ertaisi »

I didn't even know there was a V-8 Mazda! And how do you use it on your windows?!?! ....bad joke :roll:
'95 RS: RIP
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Ya, very bad joke...it took me a few seconds to realise that you were trying to say :P
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Unless you got mucho miles or have done considerable highway driving the front windshield is going to get real pitted and almost nothing is going to fix that except a new windshield which is what I did when it was repainted. But from day one after the wash and when I start to polish starting with wax cleaner (Mother's) I also use the wax cleaner on the windows making them nice and clean and slippery hence a little more difficult for stuff like acid rain and whatever to bond and stick to the window.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
johnboi85

Post by johnboi85 »

i thought car waxes make the water bead not sheet off? am i misinformed?
bp mx-3
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Car waxes do (for the most part) make water bead up.. but on the windshield it will also reduce friction and let the water roll off due to the angle of the glass. On the rear hatch though.. thats where the real issue is.. it has such a gentle angle that even with waxing water will still sit in drops on it and that is where most pitting comes from.. sunlight hitting a waterdrop on paint or on glass.. the water acts like a magnifier and super heats a tiny spot on the paint or glass. Paint jobs have clear coats to protect them from this pitting.. but even the clear coat can pit from this.. thats why it is better to dry your car after washing it on a nice sunny day rather than just let it air dry. After I got the hard water spots off my hatch.. I treated the glass with RainX.. I hate this stuff on the windshield.. or if you have and use the rear wiper I wouldnt recommend it.. stuff is oily and can do a kind of smearing effect when used with wipers.. but.. on my rear hatch it does a decent job of making water roll right off of it. Best of luck.

Tunes67
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

RainX worked perfectly on my windshield.

Just apply it correctly.

1. wash the window with alcohol or something that removes everything on the glass.
2. dry it of totally
3. apply RainX with a polishcloth or something and let it dry
4. polish it off.

Works wonders.

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
psneddon

Post by psneddon »

Yes, rain-x works, but ONLY if you apply it properly. Clean the glass and follow the instructions. However when it starts to wear you need to keep on applying it.

Paul
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Perhaps I didn't quite explain myself........Mothers Wax Cleaner/Remover.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas

Return to “Appearance”