How do you replace tranny fluid on a manual V6?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
quicksliver

How do you replace tranny fluid on a manual V6?

Post by quicksliver »

Want to replace my tranny fluid on my 1992 Mazda Mx-3 GS (Manual). Just don't know where im supposed to start, how to do it, where to drain/fill it, and what tools are needed. Any input would be much appreciated :).
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

There is a drain plug on the front side of the tranny near the drivers wheel. Drain it here. Then, there are 2 ways to fill, the first is to remove the speedometer gear. it is held into the transmission by one bolt right behind your fuel filter. just run a peice of tube or a long funnel into that hole and fill ith with nearly 3 quarts (2.7 to be exact). There is also a side plug that marks the full level but I find it is cleaner and easier to just put the right ammount in from the top. but take your pick.

Good idea to check out the online manual for help
Last edited by ccreech on May 4th, 2005, 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
93 GS KLZE Straight Neck (Parked)
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
Teal_93

Post by Teal_93 »

:werd:
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

I found it to be a real PITA getting the drain plug out because of those protective fins. Wrench don't work and I didn't have the exact size socket - 23mm I believe. Went down and bought a single socket especially for that. I used the front filler hole right by the neutral switch. Like ccreech, I attached a clear tube to a funnel and stuck the tube into the filler hole. When I was approaching the 2.7 litre point I was expecting to see the fluid run out of the filler hole because that is usually the way for a lot of MTX's in determining the correct level. When it starts to run out of the filler hole you are at the correct amount of fluid - but this didn't happen here. Dont forget to get a new crush washer for the drain plug.
Last edited by jschrauwen on May 5th, 2005, 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
quicksliver

Post by quicksliver »

So do i put 2.7L in OR do i wait till it starts to come out of the filler hole?
Teal_93

Post by Teal_93 »

I just waited until it came out of the hole.
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

fill it up, then pull the funnel and hose our of the little hole then if it leaks out wait till its done leaking out and then put the nut back in.
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

Yeah that hole is desingned to keep just the right amount in the tranny. You know you have enough when it comes out and if you have too much just let it run out until it stops...Keep in mind this is the top hole on the same side as the drain...not the drain hole. Other wise you will have an expensive puddle of gear oil on your nikes. I think that Red Line and Royal Purple are the best fluids (75w90 in Ga.) as others like mobile 1 corrode the copper synchros in our trannys. But I am sure someone will post telling you what they think works better...like AutoTransFluid.
93 GS KLZE Straight Neck (Parked)
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
quicksliver

Post by quicksliver »

Is this where im supposed to FILL the tranny fluid from?

atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Uhh No.

That looks to be on the underside of the tranny... and unless you know how to make fluid go UP and stay UP- then you are asking for a mess.

Chris said in his first post to you that you pull the speedometer cable, and fill it from there.

This is the best picture I could find- but it gets the point across...

And actually, thats Chris on the left!
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
quicksliver

Post by quicksliver »

Are you sure!?!? Casue go to J2-007 in the online shop manual and look. The picture i got it the exact drawing they got....and they are saying it's that bolt!
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

quicksliver wrote:Is this where im supposed to FILL the tranny fluid from?
That's where I filled it from...no problems!!
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Look.

You asked how to do it- and several people told you how.

You then posted a pic.

I told you it was wrong- and then you kept asking.

If you think you can do it the way the manual shows- then be our guest. We are trying to show you the EASIEST and CLEANEST way to do it.
~Perry
Please visit
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

You CAN fill it from that hole- but why?

I guess if you didnt want to mess with the speedo gear you could do it that way... but I just see that as being a big mess. You can removethe speedo gear with one bolt anf start filling her up. Still fairly easy.
~Perry
Please visit
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

atlantamx3 wrote:You CAN fill it from that hole- but why?
I guess if you didnt want to mess with the speedo gear you could do it that way... but I just see that as being a big mess. You can removethe speedo gear with one bolt anf start filling her up. Still fairly easy.
I'll give that a try next TX oil change....hey what the heck, always open to new ideas, thanks, atlantamx3.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”