pak 2 rear bumper wont fit my license plate!!

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
ninjajim4

pak 2 rear bumper wont fit my license plate!!

Post by ninjajim4 »

i got a pak 2 rear bumper, and i didn't think of it til came in... it's designed to fit euro sized plates!!

it has a very long and skinny space, and recessed, so the plate is intended to fit "in" the bumper. here's some pics that may help a little:

US plates are less wide across and taller in height. what should i do to get them to fit?

any suggestions??
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Maybe slot the bottom & top of the recess so you can slide the plate into the slots. You would have a heck of a time getting it bolted in place.. but as long as you can see your plate #'s and the registration tabs.. it would be legal. Hope this helps.

Tunes67
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Get some sort of flat metal or plastic piece about a 1/2 an inch to an inch wide, thread it into the holes for the OEM euro plates and tap 2 holes in it for US spec plates.

Should work like you want it to.
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

Tunes67 wrote:Maybe slot the bottom & top of the recess so you can slide the plate into the slots. You would have a heck of a time getting it bolted in place.. but as long as you can see your plate #'s and the registration tabs.. it would be legal. Hope this helps.

Tunes67
hey i like that idea a lot! maybe i could just do the bottom, even. would you happen to kno if anything is going to get in the way, with my plate poking through the bumper to the inside?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Sorry man.. never had the bumper off my car so I cant really tell you whats behind it at all :? Best of luck.

Tunes67
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

not a prob... i'm just happy to have a potential solution at all. thanks!
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

are u doin the body work yourself? cuz if u're taking it to a body shop anyway, i'm sure they'd be able to make it fit
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic
UK_MX3

Post by UK_MX3 »

have the recess filled and smoothed out then get a custom surround made for your plate or buy one :)

a bodyshop should be able to fill it with filler and fiberglass
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

MarkMoore wrote:are u doin the body work yourself? cuz if u're taking it to a body shop anyway, i'm sure they'd be able to make it fit
i'm takin it in, but it just seems like a stupid thing to chuck a lot of money away on... i guess we'll see what they say at the shop
Kokiriwave

Post by Kokiriwave »

the only thing i can think of they would be in the way with tunes's idea is the license plate lights that hang about the slot. pretty sure you can make it fit with a little work.
I want MAZDASPEED!
MY WEBSITE:: http://kingmx.net
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

One follow up thought.. try slotting the top first and see if you can get it to fit that way.. here is why.. in nasty weather water is less likely to go up into the slot but if the slot is on the bottom.. water will go in there without any issue. If you do slot the bottom.. maybe use a silicone sealer around the gap (underside where it wouldnt be visible) to keep the water out.. best of luck.

Tunes67

Return to “Appearance”