Painting wheels

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
tw1st3d_cl0wn
Supporting Member

Painting wheels

Post by tw1st3d_cl0wn »

I'm really wanting to paint my stock wheels like Gro Harlem did. But I can't decide what color to paint them. I own a 95 RS, all stock, and the color of my car is black. I was thinking of painting the wheels black, but it wouldn't look right at all if I don't tint my windows. I kind of like the idea of my whole car just being black, but I don't know if that idea is just weird. I do maybe plan on tinting my windows in the future (depending on how much cash I have), but was wondering what you all thought about having black wheels with a black car. I hate chrome and definitely don't want to paint my wheels with that. Anyway, any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!
bushidosword

Post by bushidosword »

Lol i posted almost the same thing with no response either!!! We are doomed to no response!!! LOL I'll be watching this one closely...

I personally have a black gs and tried the rims as solid gun metal and i didnt like it much, tho black rims with a silver outline (like gro's but instead of gun metal, black) might be cool! :shrug: Alright now for other opinions and ideas! :mrgreen:
tw1st3d_cl0wn
Supporting Member

Post by tw1st3d_cl0wn »

Yeah, I don't think gunmetal would look right on my car. I was thinking of black with some silver trim or something like that, or just straight black. But if I don't get other opinions, I'm going ahead with black. And then I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for your opinion.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Just dont do Pink or Yellow.. Other than that.. any color should be fine.. maybe a nice Fuscia or something ;) (ok.. yeah its tough to keep a straight face on this one LOL)

I definately think going with a silver trim would look good.. would definately draw attention to otherwise dark rims. Might even be cool to do the silver trim on the wheels and then match with silver pin striping down the side of the car. Just a thought..

Tunes67
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

that particular brand only has bronze, gunmetal & silver as color choices :(

I guess you could use any caliper paint too and it'd be fine. RED would kick some a--!! ANODIZED RED!!

YEAH!
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

gunmetal
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

black with /silver
tw1st3d_cl0wn
Supporting Member

Post by tw1st3d_cl0wn »

I looked at the Duplicolor website, and it listed the gunmetal, silver, clear, bronze, and black. Although, when looking for it in stores, or online, I either can't find it at all, or only find bronze and the clear.

And Tunes, pink and yellow definitely won't be touching my wheels, or any part of my car. There's a guy who lives near me, I don't know him, but he drives a pink MX3. :? Who knows, maybe he is on this forum somewhere, but I really can't stand that pink on his car.

And Gro, that picture is great. :P
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Doing the silver trim on the rims would be easy too.. just be creative when you mask off areas and the original silver of the rim will become your trim :D Hey.. that rhymed..

Tunes67
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

Tunes67 wrote:Doing the silver trim on the rims would be easy too.. just be creative when you mask off areas and the original silver of the rim will become your trim :D Hey.. that rhymed..

Tunes67
You almost want to repaint the lip silver as well. I was going to leave mine silver but the lip was all marked up from weights and a couple of scratches from over the years. It wouldnt look right with a beat up looking lip and the rest of the rim looking new
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I see what you mean.. I guess in that scenario.. I would paint the whole rim silver and then go back over the top of it with the black.. heck if you used a dark laquer you might even be able to get a bit of the silver flake to show through the black.. that might be kinda cool looking too. Hmmm..

Tunes67
bushidosword

Post by bushidosword »

i figure popping the centre cap out and doing it silver too would look nice, then do the raised emblem in black. If anyone does this PLEASE PLEASE post pics!!!
bushidosword

Post by bushidosword »

Actually is anyone willing to photoshop black honeycomb rims with a silver lip on a black gs?
GregoryChristian
Supporting Member

Post by GregoryChristian »

well speaking of Black rims with a silver lip , I purchased a set of Black Motegi Riax wheels that have a Machined lip ...but after a week of driving with them on I decided to Paint them at work...so I took them off the car , masked them off scuffed them up and Painted them Silverstone Metallic :shock: looks AWESOME alot of people think I bought them that color and can't believe I painted them :wink:
tw1st3d_cl0wn
Supporting Member

Post by tw1st3d_cl0wn »

bushidosword wrote:i figure popping the centre cap out and doing it silver too would look nice, then do the raised emblem in black. If anyone does this PLEASE PLEASE post pics!!!
That is an awesome idea.

Return to “Appearance”