KLZE Swap... Do the engine mounts too ?!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
bigtime

KLZE Swap... Do the engine mounts too ?!

Post by bigtime »

Looking at doing the good old klze swap..... It's SOOO hard to find aftermarket parts over here - and so expensive...........
Looking at getting a shipment sent over here - clutch kit, altezza lights, engine mounts, headers - nobody makes them here..
The ACT clutch kit seems popular... Where to call for the best price ? Is there better value for money ?

Can anyone recommend or bag those headers from ssautochrome for bout $230 ????

And the engine mounts - mazdaspeed... probably required because of the huge power increase right ? Corksport seem good but expensive - $300 for all of them ? works out to bout $450 australian - before they've even left the U.S !!! Where can i get them cheaper ??

I wanna do the swap and do it right the first time but it could end up being very expensive.......... :driver:

PLEASE THROW SUGGESTIONS AT ME !!!!!!!!!!! Thanks guys

P.S. I don't think riding my kangaroo to work is an option !
MI-Archangel

Post by MI-Archangel »

i used stock mounts works fine.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Have a look over at SRD. Luc has been dealing with the club for some time and has intimate knowledge of the MX/ZE. Look at the venders forum for his group buy info also.
Engine mounts: http://www.srdperformance.com/
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

fill them with urethane.. save yourself the time and money. I did mine and it cost me 40$ for all four mounts. The result is great.
J0HN_R1

Post by J0HN_R1 »

:? How, and were, would a guy get that done...?

:wink: John
When this thing hits 88mph, you're gonna see some serious TIHS...!
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

very easy to do yourself.

buy some urethane, babybluemx3 and I bought ours from http://www.mcmaster.com/ part number 8644K28

Here's some pics Steve snapped while doing his:

Heres what your setup should look like, with the stuff you get from McMaster.

For the people that dont know what a mount looks like, here they are: These are the front and rear(tranny) mounts.

Make sure to properly clean your mounts inside and out. Rinse them with water and let sit until dry. You can also sand the mount if you want because they are bound to be covered in rust like ours were.

Now, because you're filling the mount from one side, you must block off the other side of the mount to stop any leakage and ensure that the urethane stays in your mount. Here's what Steve did with wasnt a bad idea ;), however other methods work as well (I used duct tape).

Now follow the instructions (which are not hard, basically empty container A into container B and mix) and mix the urethane. You must act quickly becuase the hardener acts very fast and the mix becomes thick and hard to work with. Dont worry the mixture will become very warm, its normal because the chemicals are reacting.

After you put as much as you can into the cracks, let it sit so that the urethane fills all the crevaces throughout the mount. Add more urethane as necessary. I used the mixing stick to 'push' the urethane into the crack to make sure the whole mount was filled.

Once you're finished wait at least 2 days before re-installing the mounts for the Urethane to properly cure.
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

Wouldn't it be easier to work with if it was in the liquid form instead of the putty form?
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

the stuff I orderd was supposed to be liquid..but for a reason I don't know it was very thick but still worked great.. it filled completly by itself when I left it on the shelf for 5 min.
I then painted the mount black..and it works fine
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

It's just that that particular part number is for the putty. The same urethane can be had in liquid form. Part # 8644K24. It also says it's black.
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

I thought putty was like some kind of a paste or something..in that case I would classified the one I got in liquid..anyways i works fine
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
bigtime

Post by bigtime »

thanks for that bmw3guy....... very useful....

not worth getting the mazda speed mounts then ?

what about the clutch kit ? isn't the stage 2 ACT a 6 puck ? wouldn't that be a bit shiity for everyday driving ?
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

just get the stage one..most people will never use it to its full capacity and it's better for daily driving.
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Macen

Post by Macen »

I used tape to prevent the leak.

I was unable to do the rear tranny mount with the engine mounted, because I was unable to get the bolt from the mount out. I think I have to remove the axles to get the engine out of position, and remove the bolt.
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

Macen wrote:I was unable to do the rear tranny mount with the engine mounted, because I was unable to get the bolt from the mount out. I think I have to remove the axles to get the engine out of position, and remove the bolt.
God that mount is a PITA eh? Putting it back in is even worse :(
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

bigtime wrote:what about the clutch kit ? isn't the stage 2 ACT a 6 puck ? wouldn't that be a bit shiity for everyday driving ?
What kind of pedal feel are you looking for? The act is a pretty stiff clutch. Clutchmasters or spec are good clutches with close to stock pedal feel.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”