head unit cage

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
johnboi85

head unit cage

Post by johnboi85 »

is it possibe to install an aftermarket head unit in the mx-3 w/o the cage that comes with the stereo? is their a kit for it? i took out my stereo so i can do a little underdash work and i laid it on the side. next thing you know the cage was gone. i think my dog ran away with it and burried it. :oops: so can i install it using one of those kits? or is there even a kit for our car? need help
bp mx-3
manowar821
Supporting Member

Post by manowar821 »

I'd like to know this too, I don't have any idea how the old one fit in there anymore. It's so frustrating. I have a little peice of plastic holding it it, I just jammed it in there...
Acamori

Post by Acamori »

usually the cage does little more than just hold the stereo in place (you're supposed to bend the tabs out some so it can't slide out) so yeah, you can install a stereo without the cage, especially if you didn't have it fixed in place anyways.
1/4 complete system---->carstereo.com
MX-SLICK

Post by MX-SLICK »

cage is 'locked' in the dash via tabs bent out, then the deck slides into the cage and locks and the only way to get it out is with the special keys that came with the unit. No, there is not enough room to install it without a cage, if you do, the wires behnd the unit cause the unit to be pushed out on one side making it very attractive to theivs because they know it will be a quick grab. Cages are cheap if not free.
94' MX3 GS atx
93 geo storm GSi
99' Ford ZX2 mtx
2001 honda CBR 600
2000 kawasaki kx 500 MX
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

s--- to bad you weren't closer i have spares lying around you should be able to go in to any audio store that does installs and ask i don't even think they would charge you anything just tell them the dog story if anything they might charge you a couple of bucks they normaly have them all lying around the shop
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

easy way -> go to a stereo shop and buy one for Free to about $5.

hard way -> ISO mount the sucker!!! Take your entire center console out and make steel brackets to hold it in!! might take some time though.........
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
MX-SLICK

Post by MX-SLICK »

yeah my old car was factory iso-mount...deck would never get stolen outa that!
94' MX3 GS atx
93 geo storm GSi
99' Ford ZX2 mtx
2001 honda CBR 600
2000 kawasaki kx 500 MX

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”