Sunroof Drain - Where does it go?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
4u2nv

Sunroof Drain - Where does it go?

Post by 4u2nv »

the sunroof drain that runs down the passenger side pillar ... drains where? I founs a little drain behind a kick panel that's located basicly right behind the mudgard ... but then I see the tube going down the pillar and behind the dash. Is this right? Isn't it supposed to drain in that little hole?

I noticed it because that's where the drivers side drains out.

Hops that is it - I have a big leak in the pass. side floor.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Hope that is it - I have a big leak in the pass. side floor.
If you have water on the passenger side floor.. check your heater core. I dont envy you this job.

Tunes67
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Tunes67 wrote:
Hope that is it - I have a big leak in the pass. side floor.
If you have water on the passenger side floor.. check your heater core. I dont envy you this job.
Tunes67
If it's not the heater core and you suspect that it may be an issue with the sunroof drain tube. The tube itself my have come away from it's fitting wherein, water would seep down the pillar and on to the passenger floor. A self test by pouring water over that area with the sunroof closed and the car angled to the front right should be able to give an indication or not as to whether the tube has pulled away. You should see water actually try and run down along the outside of the plastic moulding on the pillar and possibly soak that corner of the headliner. If unable to recreate any of this than it may be like Tunes said. A simple smell or taste sample (don't ask) of that water on the floor should be able to tell you right off if it's coolant or not.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

hey man trust me on this..the samething happened to me. its NOT your heater core its the sunroof drain. It drains by the mud guard. theres a small hole there and thatswhere the roof drain goes. u will see some wires and the hole is just there. Pull out the drain tube, and feed it thru that hole then on a flat surface pour water over the roof and u will see the water drain by the mud guard.

goodluck and let us know

I can bet u any amount of money thats your problem. give it a shot.
Last edited by 93-Spec-Edn on April 12th, 2005, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
92 mx-3 RS RIP | 95 mx-3 GS sold | 93 mx-3 GS SE sold | 95 mx-3 GS present
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

Also once u have put the drain in the right place remove your passenger seat and lift the carpet and remove excess water and allow to PROPERLY dry so u dont get and mould or rust. Thats what i did. took 3-4 days to dry well. Leave all windows/roof open at night in the garage.
92 mx-3 RS RIP | 95 mx-3 GS sold | 93 mx-3 GS SE sold | 95 mx-3 GS present
neutral
Supporting Member

Re: Sunroof Drain - Where does it go?

Post by neutral »

4u2nv wrote:the sunroof drain that runs down the passenger side pillar ... drains where? I founs a little drain behind a kick panel that's located basicly right behind the mudgard ... but then I see the tube going down the pillar and behind the dash. Is this right? Isn't it supposed to drain in that little hole? I noticed it because that's where the drivers side drains out. Hops that is it - I have a big leak in the pass. side floor.
Online manual doesn't have the sunroof section scanned in yet. Your description "located behind the mudguard" sounds correct and my factory shop manual does show & describe the front drain hose as being routed and exiting in that location- down the pillar and out a hole described as "cowl side panel" which is located immediately behind your front mudguard. If you don't see the hose exiting there, but instead going behind the dash, sounds like it's pulled out of its proper exit point.
Image -Jim
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

That would be cool if its not the heater core... I hate doing heater cores.. that has to be one of the worst jobs out of all the possible repairs you could do to a car or any age. LOL My last 3 cars all needed a heater core.. on my last car that needed one (My subaru) I just took it too a mechanic.. the only time I have ever handed over $450 to a shop no questions asked. And felt like I had just gotten a bargain LOL

Tunes67
4u2nv

Post by 4u2nv »

Tunes67 wrote:That would be cool if its not the heater core... I hate doing heater cores.. that has to be one of the worst jobs out of all the possible repairs you could do to a car or any age. LOL My last 3 cars all needed a heater core.. on my last car that needed one (My subaru) I just took it too a mechanic.. the only time I have ever handed over $450 to a shop no questions asked. And felt like I had just gotten a bargain LOL

Tunes67
LOL - Sometimes it's easier to just pay someone ... Done that a few times!

Thanks for the suggestions I'll try it out tomorrow and let you guys know...
blkmx3_v6

pics please

Post by blkmx3_v6 »

i'm having the same problems. can someone please post pics of the exact location. if water is building up on the right passenger floor, should the drain hole be behind the front right tire? i c no drain holes or wires....
Macen

Post by Macen »

You have to remove the mud guard and the splash shield. Look for a ½ inch hole where a black hose are supposed to be. Remove the carpet and look for the black hose and put it through the hole.
I had the same problem with my driver's side, and had trouble finding the hose behind the fuse box. I guess it's easier on the passenger side.
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”