Tricky Sunroof repair / replace

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Cosmas

Tricky Sunroof repair / replace

Post by Cosmas »

My sunroof works pretty well. It's kinda slow when you close it, but that's mostly because as the roof comes an inch from closing, and begins to decend into the roof groove, it will jam on the drivers side, thus I'm forced to push it forward and down to get it to close properly.

What I want to know is if there is a way to take the whole thing out, which invariably I'll have to do. From what I seemed to understand in the workshop manual, it basically says there's no way to fix the track unless you remove the entire thing. Only problem is that I drive the old girl to school and work everyday, so if I were to do this I would need to do it quickly some weekend.

So can I take out the motor, track, everything else, but leave the roof in somehow and not have it leak, in case of storm? Though summer is coming and it will get hotter, but you can't trust the weatherman now can you?

Also has anyone else had a related problem? I read on another post about moonroof conversions, sounds awsome, but I'll bet it would be twice as hard. Anyone done that?
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Have you given the tracks a good clean? I had the same problem and 5 minutes with a cloth cleaning the tracks fixed it like new. They didn't look very dirty but have been working faultlessly for about 9 months ever since.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
lucky13

Post by lucky13 »

once i cleaned the rails with a cloth and i guess i dried them up or something but after that i had to close it manualy. it will open but did not close. i think you have to regrease it
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

mine does that..the plastic part of the rail cracked... I have to do it manually.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”