Clutch slipping?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
AZ-3,1498cc,UK

Clutch slipping?

Post by AZ-3,1498cc,UK »

When pushing the throttle hard especially in fifth gear at around 60mph the revs rise to the redline and the car does not accellerate. This is a problem in all gears but in higher gears its more apparent. If u attempt to keep pushing the gas hard the clutch starts to smell. The clutch does not seem to slip when changing gears or pulling off. The car has not had this problem before and it occurred instantly. The mileage is 86,000. Does the clutch need replacement or is somthing else wrong?
V6 MX-3, Black, 17" gunmetal chromes with 205/40/17.
Now gone: Autozam AZ-3(Jap spec MX-3). 91, 1498cc DOHC 120bhp as standard. Manual, A.C, 17" black chromes with 205/40/17. Stainless Steel Exhaust,Pipercross Filter, Eco-tek valve, Strut brace, Racing steering wheel.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Those are classic symptoms of a slipping worn clutch needing replacement. The slipping will get progressively worse and become more noticeable in the other gears in reverse order slipping in 4th, 3rd, etc. Even if you can nurse it along a bit more (sounds like you already have been), it's dangerous not to have acceleration ability to get out of trouble when needed.
Image -Jim
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

A girl I knew in high school had the same problem with a Geo Metro... I told her she needed a clutch, and she said she would tell her dad. About 2 weeks later we were driving in her car and she tried to pull a hill.. with the worn out clutch. Car was over reving in fifth gear and dropped down to 20mph... It was fun waiting for the tow truck and seeing the look on her dad's face when the car stranded her on the side of the hill.
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
94_MX-3

Post by 94_MX-3 »

i had the same problem with my mx, and i changed my clutch asap.
johnboi85

Post by johnboi85 »

94_MX-3 wrote:i had the same problem with my mx, and i changed my clutch asap.

lol i remember that lol. you had a worn clutch and a radiator leak.
bp mx-3
nickmx3

Post by nickmx3 »

change the clutch and pressure-plate, if the clutch slips too much it will create hot spots on the pressure-plate surface, which will cause it not to work as effectively on your new clutch.
1995 J-Spec Az3, BPT swap, mazda speed eibach springs, mazda speed swaybars, mazda speed exhaust, mazda speed shock tower bar, mazda speed bodykit, sr shocks, disk-brakes all around,turbox boost controler, honda del sol act pressure plate, fmic 20x12x3
AZ-3,1498cc,UK

Post by AZ-3,1498cc,UK »

I drove the car the next morning for about a miles and it was reving in all gears like this. Then today i drove it about 6 miles to work being gentle on the gas and drove then drove it home like this. After about six mile of driving home i decided to give it some gas and the car drove fine all gears, i was flooring the gas in all gears and the revs were rising to the correct road speed as normal. i pulled up the hood and the clutch did not smell but then when i put the handbrake on and bring it up to the biting point a few times in 1, 2 and 3 it smells like a soldering iron under the hodd a little. Do u think that the clutch disc and cover have bedding themselves in now and it wont slip again? or maybe it drove fine because the clutch had time to warm up? ill try it again tommorow when the clutch is cold. The thing is ive ordered a clutch kit. Or is the problem somthing other than the clutch like the engine management?
Now gone: Autozam AZ-3(Jap spec MX-3). 91, 1498cc DOHC 120bhp as standard. Manual, A.C, 17" black chromes with 205/40/17. Stainless Steel Exhaust,Pipercross Filter, Eco-tek valve, Strut brace, Racing steering wheel.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Hmmm.. I wonder if you managed to get some oil or gear oil on the clutch plate.. eventually this would burn off and the clutch would return to normal behavior.. though its definately not good for the clutch plate. Your engine oil and trans gear oil are at normal levels right? Do you have any wet spots on the ground where you park your car? If it was oil that somehow got onto the clutch plate.. it will happen again.. just a matter of time. I would check all your gaskets & seals to make sure you are clean and dry.

Tunes67
AZ-3,1498cc,UK

Post by AZ-3,1498cc,UK »

Checked car again today all fluid levels are ok there does not seem to be any leaks and everything looks dry. Ive driven the car a few times now and what seems to happen is the revs are rising but not the road speed for about a mile or two or until evrything is warmed up, then after that the problem does not occur. Any suggestions?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Sounds like Nuetral nailed this one on the money (As usual ;)) Sounds like normal clutch wear. Time for a new clutch. I recommend replacing The clutch plate, Pressure Plate, Pilot Bearing and the Throwout bearing. Your car will love you for it :)

Tunes67
mamoo

Post by mamoo »

Mine was doing that too, but it turned out I'd just run out of transmission fluid.

On the off-chance that this is the problem, check the transmission fluid dipstick, which is beside the battery (you've got to reach down a bit to get it).
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

oh and If you dont change it..you are risking of having the bearing crap out... NOT A GOOD SIGHT NOR FEELING.. lol happened to me.. if it starts squaling or if the pedal vivrates.. the teeth are broken.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”