distortion and amp problem

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

distortion and amp problem

Post by schuttie2002 »

Well while i was working on my cars suspension issues i decided i'd rework my system a little bit. Initially my front speakers were picking up a lot of distortion because i ran the speaker wires on the same side as the ground wires, so i figured id run them down the other side of the car and everything would be fine. wrong! same noise is still coming out of the front speakers. then i figured id recheck all the wires to make sure they werent cut or anything and i found no problem. then i connected the speakers to my other amp and there was no problem. i also connected my subs to the suspect amp, and when i turned the gain up, i got this deep buzzing noise. I'm pretty sure the amp has issues so ill take it back cause its still under warranty, but is there any other suggestions? has any one else had this problem and realized it was something pretty simple im over looking. all help would be greatful thanks guys
93 GS-DE,mx6 tranny, obx 2nd gen headers, highflow cat n 2.25" catback, 65mm tb,CAI, mazdaspeed mounts, SPEC Stage I clutch kit, new K8 flywheel, SRD C.A.B., Intrax, S.T. braces
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/698108
MX-SLICK

Post by MX-SLICK »

Disconnect everything but the suspect amp. Then try it, i am suspecting something in your RCA cables...
94' MX3 GS atx
93 geo storm GSi
99' Ford ZX2 mtx
2001 honda CBR 600
2000 kawasaki kx 500 MX
TekPmp

Post by TekPmp »

do you get the buzzing when you deck is off? ...... does it change with engine rpm?
Black 94 RS, Erebuni MS style front, OEM sideskirts, Clear signals, altezza tails, 93 seats, Civic projectors
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

The problem is most likely the RCAs running too close to a ground or power wire check them from the front all the way to where they go into the amp. You can also try moving the RCAs from one amp to another to see if that is what is causing the noise. You can buy a noise canceller to get rid of some buzzing, but it will also decrease sound quality a slight bit.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Post by schuttie2002 »

Well after a few weeks and messing with just about everything I could, I decided i'd take the amp back because I still had a warranty and that fixed the problem. But now i have another question for everyone.

I figured I'd mount my amps to the back of the seat so they would not take up room. after i put one up, i turned it on and it was working so i started messing with the gain controls. While doing this I saw a little train of smoke coming up from the side of my amp. I shut everything down and when i touched the little rubber pieces where the smp mounts to the seat, they were piping hot and had melted some of the carpet off the back of the seat.
This is when i took off the carpet and found out it was metal underneath on the seat back, not wood. now that i know this im not mounting my amp back on the seat unless someone has a catchy trick they use to stop the metal to metal contact.
What do you guys do, or do u just not put the amps against the seat back???
93 GS-DE,mx6 tranny, obx 2nd gen headers, highflow cat n 2.25" catback, 65mm tb,CAI, mazdaspeed mounts, SPEC Stage I clutch kit, new K8 flywheel, SRD C.A.B., Intrax, S.T. braces
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

get a better amp that doesn't have a grounded metal frame
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Post by schuttie2002 »

well i have about 600 invested in the two amps so i dont think im gonna do that...anything else.
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

mount both amps to a sheet of mdf then just mount the sheet to the back of the seat you can even get creative and carpet the mdf drill some holes for your power ground and speaker wires and run them behind the mdf and do a very nice clean install this will elimante the metal to metal contact with the seat
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Post by schuttie2002 »

Thats a great idea, and since im getting a new seat back i can experiment and get the fitting down. Thanks for the thought man!
Mexos

Post by Mexos »

this is how i mounted my amp. Made a new wall of MDF and mounted the amp on it ;)

Looking good.
X: 1992 Mx3 Gs.

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”