this BP looks different...will it work?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
phillyMX3mayn

this BP looks different...will it work?

Post by phillyMX3mayn »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... ename=WDVW

who changed the color on me??? has anyone installed this type of bp? Are there any differences? more or less hp?
-Steve
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

ask for the block number on the engine. Then we would know for sure. But it kinda looks like a BP.......
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

thats a 95+ engine
to work in a 92-93 mx-3 u will need the 90-94 bp intake manifold, tb, injector harness and distributer(spelling)

maybe more

it will still work but needs a few mods
if it goes in a 94+ , i don't think u have to switch anything, maybe even keep your factory harness
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
Ateana

Post by Ateana »

lol that looks more like a b6 guys. Get the engine code.
Management is not responsible for lost or stolen virginities.

White 94 Mx-3 BP
Black 93 Mx-3 Kl-De
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Other than the intake & TB.. that looks very much like my DOHC B6 engine.. But I wont claim to be an expert either. But I would be suspicious.. ok.. I am suspicious ;) Especially since the ad claims its a 91-94 Protege engine.. and I all but have a 92 Protege. And it dont look anything like that.

Tunes67
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

it's a bp :roll:
the 2nd gen bp and b6 look alike cause of the valve cover but the intake manifolds are different

search for pics and you'll see the difference
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Hey I am not saying it isnt a BP.. nor am I claiming to be an expert, However.. its not JUST the valve cover that looks the same. The A/C compressor is exactly in the same location and looks the same as it does on my engine, Also the exaust heat shield & manifold right down to the o2 sensor is the same as well. Even the distributor & cap look the same. Now I am not saying that all these things wouldnt be common to a 2nd Gen BP and a DOHC 1.6. What I do know is the 91-94 Proteges didnt come with this engine as advertised. Either way something isnt right with the ad. If it is a 2nd gen BP.. then they just didnt list the correct year. Or maybe.. since its supposedly from japan.. they were using the 2nd gen BP engine in their Proteges at the same time all the Proteges over here were using the first gen. I dunno.. but the ad isnt correct in some way.

Tunes67
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

And just out of curiosity.. wouldnt a J-spec B6 have a different intake & throttle body than the North American B6? Would make sense seeing that the japanese have different emission standards than we do. Just speculating.

Tunes67
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

b6 intake manifold
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_im ... 5_full.jpg
see how it llooks like a 1-4 intake manifold and the bp dosn't
http://i20.ebayimg.com/03/i/01/ad/37/81_1_sb.JPG

see the difference, i only know the difference cause when i was gettinh my engine swaped the engine importer sent me a 2nd gen bp, at first i thought it was a b6 but i look at the head casting and it said bp

my j-spec bp looks just like a na bp, same intake manifold and tb
the b6 should be the same
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I can see a difference in the two Valve Covers in those two pics.. as well as the intakes. The cardomain pic has square notches around the plug wire holes and the one on e-bay doesnt. Look man.. if you say its a BP.. its all good.. Its not worth going into.. but I do see similarities and differences that would give me pause purchasing this over the net. But then.. I wouldnt buy an engine I couldnt compression test anyway ;)

Tunes67
krishna

engine

Post by krishna »

Yeah thats a J-spec engine. i bought one from that same dealer, and the post above is right.. you'll need a whole different intake manifold, injector harness, i noticed the thermostat harness is different too?
its got a few differences but the engine bolts right up.. just like any other BP
92' BP
Charles-
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

There are no JDM B6 DOHC engine in FWD configuration after '88 but could be a '95+ B5-ZE if it is a '97 or '98 then it would have 125hp. The B5 valve cover has a few minor difference from the export B6-DE of the same vintage even though it is identical to the B6 with the exception of a shorter stroke.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”