I'm confused.....

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Chiggles

I'm confused.....

Post by Chiggles »

The Civic projector idea looks like an awesome project to tackle, but what I don't get is why some people had to do more cutting, grinding, etc. than another. I mean, you have Greg here:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/360367/2

....who seems like all he did was cut and grind the lenses a little bit to get them to fit whereas you have Neil (Didlin) here:

http://www.evilyeti.com/projectors/

...who cut the lenses, the projector housing, the bumper, the re-bar, the fender, the front of the engine bay, etc. Yikess!! :shock:

And then there's Nope-mx3's project as well here: http://www.teamsts.no/gallery2/main.php/v/mx3_update/ Not sure how much cutting was done based on the pics, but it looks like only the lights were cut once again rather than cutting the re-bar, bumper, etc.

My point being: just how difficult is this project to tackle? If it's as easy as Greg makes it seem to be, then I'd be all for it. But the amount of cutting and hacking that Neil went through makes me think twice about the whole idea. I don't want to have to chop away at the rest of the car if I don't have to, especially to a degree that extensive.

Is there a big difference in fittiment dimensions depending on the year of our cars? I'm mostly just wondering why one person's projector job required so much more work than the other guy's, even though they're the same projector units???
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

I think that it comes down to how snug and stuff you want the finished lights to look. Greg's might be just barebones, get 'er done stuff, and Neil's is for a more finished, tight look. I dunno.
No more MX-3.
Cpl_Bryant

Post by Cpl_Bryant »

I will say that myself not having any kind of body work experience was a big disadvantage and likely lengthened my project. I think no matter what you do, since it is a custom job, it will be different for everyone every time. If you're carefull and thourough, it can be done in time. I did it in many stages over a few weeks. It doesn't look as perfect as the other ones out there, but I'll tell you what, no one else in my area has an MX-3 with these lights and I hope they never get the balls to try it themselves either 'cause I kinda like it that way.
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/cplbryant" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GregoryChristian
Supporting Member

Post by GregoryChristian »

well I work in a Body shop and was just bored one weekend and decided to fit them , after getting started it took about 4 hours to complete .... I guess it really comes down to experience and overall fitment purposes and since it is a custom job , everyone will have different ideas and experiences with this project :)
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

Hey Gregory,

i've come across your page a few times myself and I'd wanted to ask you about the job you did too.

did you not cut your fenders at all or the housing of the new projectors?

are the lens really the only thing you cut??
GregoryChristian
Supporting Member

Post by GregoryChristian »

no i did not cut the fenders , I cut the clear lense and the backing housing only.
Chronicle-Rod

Post by Chronicle-Rod »

I just got my lenses in, and need some help with the wiring - any tips on what goes where before I start shocking myself into a coma? :D

92 GS, 01-03 Civic projectors
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

search the lighting section for a how to on the wiring, I believe there is one on there from a few months ago
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
Chronicle-Rod

Post by Chronicle-Rod »

Yeah, I remember one called "How I solved Civic light wiring" or something like that, but can't seem to find it. Can't remember if it was maybe in the Appearance forum though. I'll keep looking.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

I'm not familiar with the 9004 lamps but it can't be too hard. I imagine there's a low beam wire, high beam wire and a ground. Just a matter of putting a meter on the car wiring, identifying each wire, and hooking them up to the new lights.

Maybe the wiring colours are:
Red / Green low beam
Red / white high beam
Black ground

That probably doesn't help much but if someones got some pics or a good description I might be able to add more.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Hope I got this right from the shop manual for 9004 bulb.

Black (B) - ground
Red (R) - high beam
Red w white stripe (RW) - low beam
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”