Vinyl wrapped hatch cover with speaker holes.

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
rukick

Vinyl wrapped hatch cover with speaker holes.

Post by rukick »

I am selling my mx3 on ebay and I have been getting lots of email about where I got my language cover. I made that my self and I was wondering if anyone else wanted me to make them one. It is made from a cut out of the original piece with 1/2 inch thick birch wood. Then I cut it in half and wrapped each half with vinyl. Then I cut the speaker holes, connected the 2 pieces with a piano hinge, and put all the hardware from the original piece back on. The result is a cool cover, with speakers, that folds up like /\ when you open it. It will stay open if you put two small magnets or medal strips on the first piece because they will attach to the magnets on the speakers. Let me know if anyone is interested in me making one for you. I can do any color vinyl and any size speaker holes. Also feel free to take this idea and try it yourself. That birch is strong stuff. It could hold up to 2- 12" subs I would think. Here are some pics.
Last edited by rukick on April 28th, 2005, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turbo 94 Protege LX
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

thats awesome man... good idea

how much does that cover weigh you figure ? thats the only concern i would have doing that
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

And so I spy yet another project that I must undertake.. excellent idea man.. I love the piano hinge idea as well.. what kind of vinyl did you cover it with and where did you get it?

Tunes67
rukick

Post by rukick »

It weighs more than the stock piece but birch is not a real heavy wood like oak. Most of the weight would be from the speakers you put in it. The vinyl I used is Alantee (no clue if that's how you spell it). It will stretch and is easier to work with on edges and curves. You can get it at a Dr. Vinyl or any place that does custom interior work. It's not cheap though. I paid $25.00 a yard if I remember right. You can put it on with 3M spray adhesive. Get the good stuff and spray a lot on both surfaces or it will bubble in the heat. That is not cheap either, $20-$30 a can if I remember right again. Pull the vinyl tight and then staple it to the back with a staple gun. Keep the staples far enough in that you can't see wood when it's open and also so that you can put the piano hinge screws in. Have fun and email me if you have any questions or if you want me to do one for you. putnamclan@msn.com
Turbo 94 Protege LX
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

If you lived closer and shipping wouldnt be such an issue.. I would just have you do one for me as kudos for a excellent solution to a most common issue with our cars :) :2thumbsup:

Tunes67
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

language? did u mean luggage?
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic
spano

Post by spano »

that looks really good, i'd love to do that for mine too, my cover is completely destroyed. about how much did it cost for you to make it?
rukick

Post by rukick »

LOL!! Yes I meant luggage. I always cut and paste my posts into Word and spell check because I am such a bad speller. I must have picked the wrong suggestion. :lol:

I was trying to figure how much it cost me to make. I would say $50-60 in materials. I would make one for someone else for $75 plus shipping.
Turbo 94 Protege LX
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

I'm just waiting on an estimate for shipping costs before I buy mine! :D
No more MX-3.
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

ScooterBovine wrote:I'm just waiting on an estimate for shipping costs before I buy mine! :D
i just sold a OE hatch cover to some one and the shipping was less than $20, and i think he lived in virginia, and i live in NJ... so i guess that might be a rough estimate for u, plus if the cover folds up completely in half, or comes disassembled and rukick just lets the buyer assemble the hinges and what not, that'd cut down on the size of the box so shipping would be even cheaper... i'd guess no more than $15 in that case...
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic
rukick

Post by rukick »

$20 was what I estimated but let me look into actual shipping cost and I will get back to you.
Turbo 94 Protege LX
rukick

Post by rukick »

ScooterBovine's hatch cover is done. I sent it to him awhile ago but I just now had time to post it. I figured out that for 2 10" speakers I had to make the piece that holds the speakers a little wider for strength purposes. Then, in order for the other piece (without the speakers) to open, I needed to get black hinges and put them on top instead of underneath. This worked well too. Has anyone else tried this yet and would anyone else like me to make them one? Send me a PM if you would. I can do any vinyl color with whatever size speakers for $75 plus shipping.
Turbo 94 Protege LX
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

I've been wanting to post pics of the finished product, but I haven't had time. I will do so soon, though. The whole setup looks really great. Just gotta tint the rear hatch so no one looks in and says, "Hey, he has a stereo... SMASH!"
No more MX-3.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Why are you selling your MX3?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
rukick

Post by rukick »

It's already sold. A guy from Dever bought it. He said he would be getting on this site soon. I sold it because my wife is prego with our 3rd kid and I need 3 seat belts in the back. I bought a Protege LX and am currently putting a turbo on it. They don't look as cool as the MX-3 but it will be fast.
Turbo 94 Protege LX

Return to “Appearance”